02-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Free Member

My ATI MMC doesn't report dropped frames (see attachment).
When I open the captured file in VirtualDub and Select "go->next drop frame", there IS dropped frames in my captured file. Shouldn't they get reported in MMC when I've set it to "Show Total Frames"?

PS: I've tried MMC Version 8.8. 8,9 and 9.02 with both a ATI AIW 7500 and a AIW 9000 card.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATI-MMC-1.jpg (25.2 KB, 8 downloads)

Last edited by hysteriah; 02-10-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
No, MMC doesn't report dropped frames. At least I never noticed it doing so when I last used it in 2002. MMC was OK way back when, but it's seen its day.

Why are you using MMC?

If VirtualDub is reporting dropped frames, are you still using the same capture setup as before except for the ATI card? How many dropped frames? How often? What player/tbc are you using? If you're still having problems with your 7600, using a different capture card won't fix it.
02-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Free Member

I remember MMC to report dropped frames when I last used it back in the "old days", like it's shown on the Attached Picture, copied from this guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...re-ati-avi.htm

So far, there's not many dropped frames, only a few where it's erased tape or other distortions that makes it Natural for drop frames to occur... but I like to keep an eye on them, so it would be really nice to get MMC to report them, like I remember it did back in "old days".

I've used Canopus ADVC 300 till now, but I'm moving away from the DV format and wanted to set up a dedicated capture PC with Windows XP and one of my old ATI AIW Cards. I remember MMC as one of the greatest apps for capturing, much better than VirtualVCR, iuVCR, VirtualDub or any other software I've ever used. That's why I wanted to use it.

Attached Images
File Type: gif 013.gif (4.4 KB, 3 downloads)
02-10-2015, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

If your MMC to AVI capture isn't dropping any frames in MMC, then use MMC. Your VirtualDub settings might have something to do with the difference, but why spend all that time fighting City Hall? Somehow I've never had a problem with dropped frames in VirtualDub (and I still use my 7500 AIW much of the time). Lucky, I guess. If MMC is the best and greatest as you say, why use something else?
02-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Free Member

I think you misunderstand. I don't use VirtualDub for capturing, just for editing ;-)
My MMC is capturing wery well, I just want it to report droped frames (like I know it used to do).
That's all I'm asking for ;-)

Sorry for my bad English

Last edited by hysteriah; 02-10-2015 at 05:22 PM.
02-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

I see. No problem, I just haven't used MMC since version 7.2 or something, years ago. Perhaps the newer versions no longer report dropped frames (there are usually a couple of dropped frames during tape startup or first few capture frames, until the system gets going -- so I always start capturing before I start the tape). Of course, it's possible that no frames are being dropped. Hopefully someone who uses the later versions of MMC can point to a menu item or setting that changes the capture-time information. If I recall from very old MMC, you had to right-click on the display to see a menu for different settings.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: hysteriah (02-11-2015)
02-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Consider using VirtualDub instead. Some years ago, after I wrote the ATI MMC for AVI guides, VirtualDub became the better of the two. With my health issues in recent years, keeping from my site duties, they've gotten somewhat stale. I'm currently working on lots of new content for this site, much of which was from reader/member suggestions. Updating it is on the to-do list.

So try VirtualDub 1.9.x

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: hysteriah (02-11-2015)
02-11-2015, 05:08 AM
Free Member

Okey. I'll check it out ;-)

Thanks, both of you :-)
02-11-2015, 06:52 AM
Free Member

Is there any good guide somewhere on the net on howto set up VirtualDub to capture from a ATI AIW card?
Every single time I try to use VirtualDub for capturing with any of my TV Cards (Pinnacle PCTV 100i, Terratec Cinergy 400, ATI AIW, or any shitty BT8X8 card, or whatever), VirtualDub doesn't recognize my Video source, and I always get the folowing error when I click BT8X8 Tweaker:
VirtualDub Error
Cannot load DScaler driver.
This function requires the dTVdrv.dll, dTVdrvNT.sys, and dTVdrv95.vxd files from DScaler to be copied into the VirtualDub program Directory.

Is there any guide for "beginners" on how to set it up from scratch?

Why can't it recognize WDM Cards if it's such an great app for capturing?
Gosh, now I remember why I've been using Canopus for all these years... cos it just WORKS!
Sorry, I just HATE tweaking with settings like this :-(

Last edited by hysteriah; 02-11-2015 at 07:52 AM.
02-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Free Member

I think I managed to set it up now ;-)