12-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
For a TV, use Avia.
It runs about $10 right now (used to be $50): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000X4NJNS
There are some other knock-offs out there, but Avia is "the" one to use.
Hello I have a broadcast monitor jvc bm-h1310su that I would like to calibrate.

I tried to figure what is the way to do it?
with the color bar at the beginning of the tape or with a calibrated source color bars (like Avia DVD).

To be honest the only color bar that I have on tape are on NTSC u-matic tape and I am not even sure if they are SMPTE (maybe just straigh color bars).

Does Avia is doing PAL too?

Avia I is enough or I should go with Avia II?

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Free Member

Hi,
This question kinda bugs me, because you can make any test patterns you want easily yourself. It would take a bit of work though, so buying a disc makes sense for most people. However, a program called Avisynth has a colorbars test pattern built-in, and with a few steps you can make a DVD from that. I know they are technically correct, because I prompted their inclusion in Avisynth since version 2.55.

Once you have a DVD with proper colorbars, you can use a red filter to look at the screen, and adjust until the bars show equal brightness. This should be the proper red level. Find a blue or green filter, and do the same. Now rgb balance is proper. Finally, adjust the black strips until you can barely see a very close to black color. Now your brightness levels are correct. That would be the basically so far. You can do things with a greyscale ramp and a grid for geometry and gamma. It depends what kind of controls you have available.
01-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
Hi,
This question kinda bugs me, because you can make any test patterns you want easily yourself. It would take a bit of work though, so buying a disc makes sense for most people. However, a program called Avisynth has a colorbars test pattern built-in, and with a few steps you can make a DVD from that. I know they are technically correct, because I prompted their inclusion in Avisynth since version 2.55.

Once you have a DVD with proper colorbars, you can use a red filter to look at the screen, and adjust until the bars show equal brightness. This should be the proper red level. Find a blue or green filter, and do the same. Now rgb balance is proper. Finally, adjust the black strips until you can barely see a very close to black color. Now your brightness levels are correct. That would be the basically so far. You can do things with a greyscale ramp and a grid for geometry and gamma. It depends what kind of controls you have available.
Hi
It may work a try!
Are you using the other ATI dongle to send the signal out to the TV?
Does Avysynth have both colors bars test? (NTSC and PAL)
Thanks for your answer

-- merged --

Finally
I discovered that my DSP-295 prosamp can generate some colors bars SMPTE patterns.
So I am able to calibrate my JVC monitor using the SMPTE and blue check protocol.
And my IPS-monitor that is already calibrated with spyder4 and cover 72% of NTSC gamut.
Between the 2 monitors device I have the proAmp and colors correcting devices.

Quote:
The primary value of a monitor for editing is the knowledge that what you see on it will be what everyone else will see. Broadcast monitors are designed to do exactly that.
When I correct the colors, adjust brigthness, contrast, hue...at the end IPS-monitor and
JVC monitor display are differents. I don't know all about the analog to digital conversion
process...but I can see obsvious differences...

Image seem a bit brighter on the IPS and colors slightly differents.
For the final capture, should I adjust according on what I see on the broadcast or on the IPS monitor?

Thanks
07-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Video will never appears 100% correct on a computer monitor because of YUV colorspace. It will appear either lighter or darker, though it should not vary by much. Video is always slightly lighter on my monitor, but looks fine on a calibrated HDTV.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs