Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Free Member

This may be a dumb question - I've been reading posts about converting VHS-C to another media. There seems to be concern about adapters ruining tapes. Why can't I physically remove the tape from the VHS-C cassette and re-spool it into a standard tape? Is this crazy? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Free Member

yes - several of us do this
it is easy and much better than using the adapters.
search the forum and you will find posts on how to do it
i know i have posted it before.
12-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Free Member

Did this myself about 2 months ago. So nice to not have to deal with the adapter anymore. Buy some old vhs tapes off ebay for dirt cheap (however many you need) to use as "donor tapes". What I did to empty out the donor tapes was, after opening the vhs tape, I'd take the reel that has all the tape on it, put it above a hanging plastic shopping back, put a drumstick or something similar into the hole, and just unravel it until it got to the end. Then just pop off the retainer clip to get the tape leader off.

Remember to NOT use tape when putting the tape on the ends of the reels. Familiarize yourself with the retainer clips and how to remove and attach the leaders to the reel. Forget all those "how-to" guides on how to do this you'll find on youtube. They all suggest using scotch tape. You DO NOT need to use scotch tape.

One suggestion I'll make is buy a new or used vhs-c tape and open that first to familiarize yourself with all the parts (screws, clips, etc..) before opening your personal vhs-c tapes.

Oh and look for a thread that Volks and I discussed this topic on. I posted a picture that shows what the stuff looks like.