digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   VirtualDub doesn't capture audio? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/5653-virtualdub-capture-audio.html)

boobounder 01-18-2014 07:22 PM

VirtualDub doesn't capture audio?

I'm revisiting old VHS tapes that I'd given up digitizing ... with new hardware and software (Windows 7).

I checked that the VHS has audio. I'm running it through a Diamond VC500. I got audio (and video) using their default capture software.

Upgraded to huffyuv-mt and VirtualDub. Set VirtualDub to use that codec. That's the only change I made from the default settings.

Did some test captures with VirtualDub. The video is fine. It says when I capture that it is getting audio, but all I hear on playback is noise.

When I enter capture mode, the audio meter shows about -20dB, and then it slowly drops down to -40dB. Not sure if it should show the audio when I'm just monitoring, but it doesn't budge. It also doesn't budge during capture.

TylerDurden389 01-18-2014 08:27 PM

I'm actually having a similar problem myself. I get no audio at all.

lordsmurf 07-25-2014 03:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did you remember to set the audio capture device, in addition to the video capture device, in VirtualDub capturing mode?

Attachment 4001

I believe TylerDurden389 eventually solved his issue, but I no longer remember what that was. I'm hoping he'll post that here. If you've solved yours as well since this post, let us know what it was.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

TylerDurden389 07-25-2014 05:02 PM

Ugh, I've started a new full time job recently and have had hardly any free time since I'm also in the process moving. So no progress yet. The solution, I was told, is to get an additional wire to plug in that's for sound only (I thought an s-cable would cover everything). I'm also in the process of buying a brand new computer as well, just for fun.

What I'm planning on doing is making my current PC be used for capturing only, as you guys have stated enough that older computers are better. Heck, I'm even considering looking in this site's marketplace for a capture-ready windows XP setup, as I remember you guys saying windows XP is better for this sorta thing than windows 7 :)

lordsmurf 07-26-2014 05:48 AM

Yes, s-video is just the video part of a signal -- not the audio. ;)

TylerDurden389 07-26-2014 03:36 PM

Haha, yeah. For some reason I thought an S-cable was basically a standard version of an HDMI cable lol.

lordsmurf 07-26-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerDurden389 (Post 33167)
Haha, yeah. For some reason I thought an S-cable was basically a standard version of an HDMI cable lol.

It's an "s-video" (separated video) connection. So avoid calling it a "s-cable" to avoid confusion. :wink2:

We all make mistakes. :)