Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

See post #30 above.

I posted 2 photos. One of the whole card showing Theater 200 chip and the other showing the FM\TVTuner with the part number and sticker stating what the card is suppose to be.

When you look at them you will see what I have been talking about.

Thanks again.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-25-2014, 03:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
You just really need to try XP SP2. I'm not seeing that I've missed anything. Aside from sending me your capture box, with the card, there's only so much I can do. These things can be tricky! But again, worth the effort.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-26-2014)
02-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

lordsmurf...

I appreciate all of the advice, suggestions and ideas offered, but I still do not know which AIW card I have.

While both you and volksjager ask me to post a picture of my card, which I did after you first ask me and volksjager did as well, I referred him back to my post number #30 left on 2-15-2014 at 9:41 PM I still do not have any idea which 9600 my card is.

Several have said it's an XT and I have explained that from what I have found on images of the 9600 XT and 2 images of the 9600 Pro look like my card they say right on them that they are XT's or Pro's. Mine does not say XT or Pro on it. While it does say using GPU-Z the core clock is 405MHz which is not an XT core clock.

I also had it show two different RV codes which adds to the confusion. One was the RV360 code which is an XT and the other showed a RV350 which from what I understand is a Pro. Yet my card identification sticker does not show the card as either an XT or Pro.

I am sure that I will eventually get the display and capture drivers loaded, but it would be great if I knew what the driver versions are given in device manager under display and sound, video and game controllers properties. Even better though would be to know what card I actually have.

I'm not sure how to refer back with a link to that post with the pictures of my card or I would have put that in the post I left for volksjager instead of referring back to the post number.

Anyway thanks for your help and thanks too all who have offered help.
02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Free Member

the pics didnt really help positive ID it.
it is possible the card is simply defective, or was made for a OEM pc and so it is slightly different.
my best suggestions are SP2 and buy a new card - they are dirt cheap and it is always good to have spare AIW's - i have 3 myself
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-26-2014)
02-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

volksjager,

Thanks for the reply on the pictures. I'm thinking that this is a wholesalers card since it was a white box item made for sale to pc builders. Not the OEM types like Dell, HP, Intel etc., etc...

Possibly a late model AIW 9600 128MB Radeon where ATI updated the TVtuner to the FM\TVTuner Combo but left the core clock at the RV350 400-650MHz GPU which could be the reason that GPU-Z saw it as a XT from the drivers loaded while still showing the lower core clock instead of the 525-650MHz RV360 core clock.

I did get the drivers to install a few times, but again I'm not sure what driver version should be showing in the properties for each device driver installed for both mmc and display. I'll go ahead and see how things go, the last try I screwed up and did not install my Audigy card and when I used the tv I had no audio. That's what happens when one tries too hard to do something, anything!

I'm just happy that you were able to see the difference I was talking about between what my card is identified as on the sticker and what the stickers read on a actual 9600XT looks like.

Have a good day.
02-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
The card looks like a 9600 to me, so that's not in question.

The problem is just:
(1) The best OS isn't being used -- ie, Windows XP SP1 or SP2.
(2) The perfect combo of drivers may not have been installed.
(3) The card may simply be a dud -- although even dud cards tend to install. It's just the input that tends to be fubar.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

It shouldn't really matter if its a 9600 vs. 9600 Pro vs. 9600 XT. The capture section of the card is the same and the graphics driver for the GPU is going to be the same across the board. The gold heatsink cards are usually 9600XTs.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: alleng1usa (03-01-2014)
03-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

NJRoadfan thanks.

It's definitely a 9600 and the core clock shows 405MHz in GPU-Z so even though it has the XT combo tuner it does not have the core clock. The speed of the GPU isn't why I was wondering which 9600 I actually had, it was because everything I had read on the 9600 the XT which had the faster core clock had really good reviews.

Since I also have other AIW cards I know that the sticker clearly describes and identifies what the card is. So when I see the only other card\cards with the same gold heat-sink's and combo tuner as mine I wonder why the sticker doesn't state that my card is an XT or Pro. That's all I was trying to find out and the core clock being shown as 405MHz under two different driver installs with two different RV codes.

I have re installed the drivers and mmc along with my Audigy card. I ran the install cd rebooted and then had to do a update driver since it did not install the display drivers. I pointed it too the cd folder with the drivers and installed the main driver first, than installed the secondary driver the same way.

Rebooted, checked and verified drivers installed, than I installed the control panel and shut down the pc. Rebooted, verified control panel installed, it did. So now I was ready to re install the sound card on the board. Shut down, installed sound card and connected line in from 9600 and rebooted to bios to disable on-board sound.

On reboot XP found new hardware and I just cancelled it. XP tried to install but could not find the files so I got the usual error hardware may not work properly, no problem. I then installed the Audigy drivers from the cd and did not install any of the media software, not sure if I would need any of those files so didn't install them.

Rebooted and everything working good so far. XP found the capture drivers as they showed up in device manager and my sound drivers as well showed no problems.

Opened the tv and ran the initialization tv wizard and worked, no problems. Tried recording a 3 minute segment with no problems and saved to check if any problems with the recording. Closed tv and opened file player, chose video I just saved to view and it played back with no problems. By the way I have it set for mpeg2 and the file size for the 3m 6s was 140MB.

Since my card did not come with a FM Antenna I slipped the TV Antenna off the tv tuner and put it on the FM tuner. Opened the FM tuner and it scanned the channels and played the radio with no problems.

Now I just have to figure out where to set it up in the house since its currently sitting on my kitchen table. lol...

I do have a question though. This is my first dual monitor card and at the moment its only attached to one lcd monitor. I'm use to the single monitor and extending my desktop to a tv via s-video and av cables on a 34" Phillips TV\Monitor. I noticed that even though its attached to VGA 1 it shows the desktop as being on the Secondary display though the identify shows 1 on the screen. The dropdown window shows only 8 bit since there is no monitor on it, but it shows it as the main driver.

Is this the correct way it should show with only 1 monitor attached. How is yours identified under display properties in the Control Panel?

Thanks again and have a good weekend. And thanks again to you as well lordsmurf.

Tags
aiw 9600, driver version needed, install issues, sound card conflicts