Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Free Member

I just noticed than when I crop out the overscan on my VHS captures that the resolution becomes something other than 352 x 480. Then when I try and author to DVD it forces a recode because it's not DVD compliant. I tried a capture in AIW with the record cropped video box checked and I also tried to crop and resize with VideoRedo both with the same result. I tried to author with TAW5 and VideoRedo and both said a recode was required. Am I missing something?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Free Member

You shouldn't crop and resize interlaced video. You can mask the area, after capturing or maybe during capture if your software supports it.
02-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Mask, never crop -- even though some of the filters used to do this are called "crop". Confusing, isn't it!?

What program are you capturing in? You can crop in both VirtualDub and ATI MMC.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Free Member

I'm capturing with ATI MMC. How do I mask with ATI MMC?
07-25-2014, 03:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAcres View Post
I'm capturing with ATI MMC. How do I mask with ATI MMC?
You don't. ATI MMC has *two* "crop" settings. One crops, but both together make it a mask. You get black borders on the image, to cover up the overscan. This is best done only for MPEG, not AVI. In fact, AVI is best done in VirtualDub altogether.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs