Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Free Member

Which is a good video card that is compatible with PAL or SECAM that can be used in a transfer from VHS to DVD. If is there something that can be used for NTSC also would be great. Thank you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Free Member

view this post:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-cards.html
03-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The ATI All In Wonder (ATI AIW) cards are compatible with PAL and SECAM.
- Windows XP required (for now )

I know the ATI 600 USB does PAL AVI via VirtualDub (not MPEG), but not sure about SECAM.
- Works in XP, Vista and Windows 7. Not sure about Windows 8 -- not suggested anyway, the OS is crap for video work.

What kind of project do you have?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Free Member

I will try to transfer some old memories from VHS tapes onto DVD. I did some reading and so far I have a pani 1980, ati 650 hd pci and datavideo tbc1000. I have NTSC and PAL tapes. I can't wait to start the project. Do I need something else? Are the all in wonder cards better? I saw you mentioned the 600 and 650 ati only for the consumer. I have an older computer that has XP and pci and pcie slots. What soft is better and is avi ok for dvd's? I am new to this. Thanks a lot.

-- merged --

Was testing a datavideo 1000 and I did notice a grainy colorbar for a second when I turn it on and it is gone. If there is no source connected I expected to see the color bar. Is that correct?
Thank you.
04-02-2014, 06:40 AM
Site Staff | Video

No, not correct. As per your other post, http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...bc-1000-a.html, this unit does not generate them. And to be completely honest, it's not needed. When a signal drops, I'd rather have nothing than color bars.

Any grainy color bar you saw was on the source tapes. Hence the grain.

The ATI 650 is not the best card, as it has an in the color values. It's often too bright, and the IRE is distorted. It was one of ATI's stinkers before they quit making capture cards.

Yes, the ATI All In Wonder cards are better. And it was a consumer card as well -- all ATI cards were. Yet ATI was so good in those early years (and not cheap at $300 per card!), that the cards would outperform pro cards from the likes of Canopus, Matrox and others. And when it comes to capturing VHS sources, and other consumer tape sources, this is still true even now. The ATI AIW cards still hold there own against modern cards like Blackmagic, Aja and others.

DVD-Video = MPEG-2 format. But you can convert to MPEG after capturing to AVI (preferably Huffyuv lossless AVI), and filtering/restoring the AVI as needed.

The XP computer is ideal for capturing workflows.

04-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Free Member

"Any grainy color bar you saw was on the source tapes. Hence the grain"
Nope. Is from the datavideo tbc 1000. Every time I turn it on the first second or so I can see a grainy color bar, even when nothing is connected to it. Then it goes away just like that. Hope it is nothing wrong with it.
I know I have to do more reading. I got the 650 PCIcard because you guys recommend it and so far works great. I will try some other ones. I have the original soft that came with. Can you please give me link as to what software is compatible with this card. Do I have to uninstall the catalyst soft? Not sure.
Thank you for the input.

Is this DIAMOND ATI Theater 750 PCIE HD TV Tuner Card a good card?
07-25-2014, 03:37 AM
Site Staff | Video

The 750 is not a suggested card, no -- although I no loner remember why off-hand. (It's surely on the forum somewhere.)
For PAL/SECAM VHS content, I would always choose the ATI All In Wonder cards, if possible.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)