digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Capture problem with newly bought DVHS deck (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/5841-capture-problem-newly.html)

monks19 04-04-2014 01:57 AM

Capture problem with newly bought DVHS deck

Hi. I recently bought a JVC HM-DH40000U DVHS deck, assuming that it could output old vhs throught it's firewire/iLink output to my PC, on windows 7. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem do be the case at all. The only thing I could manage to do was playing a vhs a few second, then it stops by itself (on the Cyberling Power director capture & editing software). I tryed on adobe premiere pro, but it doesn't detect the device at all. So I'm left with no options at all.

Any ideas ? Aside of doing analog capture with s-video+rca cables and passing them through mini-dv camera so I can use the firewire port to output (without problems) ? I use sometimes a capture card, but the image quality is much better through a mini-dv+firewire combinason (for NTSC, at least).

Thanks to answer

BTW: This no trolling, no idiocy. So please, just don't ignore me. Many of the past technical questions I've been asking on this forum had been completely ignored before, including by the admins. If some people think I'm a problem here. Fine, I'll go away. But at least let me know, please. Thank you.

TheDrifter363 04-04-2014 03:09 AM

I'll try to help you out buddy. Alright so you're trying to pass a firewire signal to your computer but the software you've used does not work. Let's break this down. I will say this first, my aplogies but I do not know much about this vcr and if it can convert analog signals into digital signals through its firewire port. If it can then great! I assume you're using windows, have you tried a program called windv? I believe this vcr uses the dv digital format so you'd want to capture this digital signal as is. Here's the link, check it out:

http://windv.mourek.cz/

I've heard good things about this though I've never tried as I do not have any dv source. Please try it and reply if the problem is solved or if you have issues.

Windv does seem to be discontinued but it should suit your needs. Good luck!

Also if I did not answer your question in anyway or did not help you in any way then I do apologize.

monks19 04-04-2014 03:27 AM

Hi drifter. Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, when I try the program you mentioned, it says: "Error. Can't find DV output pin". Any Idea ?

TheDrifter363 04-04-2014 03:32 AM

Does your computer have a built in firewire port or are you using an addon card to add firewire? Also does your computer recognize your vcr when connected via firewire? Not any program but the actual windows OS. Right click on computer, go to device manager (top left), and see if there are any exclamation marks in reference to your vcr. If not, must be something else. I'll continue searching.

monks19 04-04-2014 03:41 AM

Hi. I'm using an addon card for the firewire. The computer seems to recognize part of it only. one part (driver) isn't recognized (there's an exclamation mark) and I can't update it.

TheDrifter363 04-04-2014 03:42 AM

Check out this manual:

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...T0698-001D.pdf

Look in page 64, it shows your firewire connections. Make sure you have it plugged into the output of the vcr into the input of your pc. I put emphasis here as there seem to be 2 firewire ports on the vcr, one input and one output. Vcr output to computer input.

TheDrifter363 04-04-2014 03:43 AM

Make and model of your addon card?

monks19 04-04-2014 03:56 AM

"Make and model of your addon card? "
I don't know. I bought it 3 years ago from a computer shop that's gone now. Sorry.

As for the FW ports, they both do in & out acoording the the manual.

TheDrifter363 04-04-2014 04:03 AM

Try this, switch between the 2 firewire ports on your vcr and load up wintv, see if something happens.

I'm thinking it may be a driver issue though, Unfortunately I don't know how to proceed since I don't know the make and model. Sorry.

Technically you could always load up a live cd of linux, start terminal, and type in lspci. You should see something relating to the firewire card. Don't know if you have much experience with that. All you need is a usb drive, a program called unetbootin, and a live cd of linux. You can use something like debian or ubuntu, or knoppix. Knoppix boots from ram so it's faster.

TheDrifter363 04-04-2014 04:08 AM

Oh I'm sorry I misunderstood. It seems as if the firewire port is both an input and output. Huh, how interesting. In that case it's most likely a driver issue. Try windows update also, see if it finds any drivers.

dpalomaki 04-04-2014 06:44 AM

A few firewire conenction issues that I've encountered over the past several years:

Some devices did not like the default (new) Firewire (IEEE1394) driver in Win7, it was necessary to retrograde to the "legacy" firewire driver that came with Win7. (Not sure about Win8.)

Some Firewire cards (the chip set actually) did not work well; at one time VIA chips were problematic, and TI were ueually good. If you check the card you should be able to tell what it is.

Some devices were sensitive to the connection and power-on sequence followed. Probably an issue with handshaking between the devices. (E.g., power everything off, make conenctions, power on the PC, power on the JVC, and then try powering on the JVC first.)

Any changes to the settings in the player had to be made before connection to the PC.

Also, if you can, try verify that your PC firewire port works with a camcorder source if you can, and try verify the JVC's firewire port works with a different PC or a perhaps a camcorder that can record from a firewire source. (Dead firewire ports on used gear are not unheard of.)

volksjager 04-04-2014 07:05 AM

ive tried a HM-DH40000U deck via firewire before - i used either Windv or Scenalyzer IIRC
it does work, but i was unhappy with the capture
i got much better results using the S-video out into a TBC then into an ATI all-in-wonder capture card

monks19 04-04-2014 10:43 AM

Hi. Normally, my pc FW ports are ok, since I use, without problems, a mini-cv camera to capture mini dv tapes. So, I don't know what else. But it seems to be a driver issue, as I said before. Also I tryed windows update to find the right driver, but no success.

dpalomaki 04-04-2014 12:31 PM

Which version of Windows?

monks19 04-04-2014 02:11 PM

I have Windows 7

dpalomaki 04-04-2014 04:09 PM

Maybe try the "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)." It should already be on your Win 7 machine. It has solved issues with 1394 on some other machines that were unableto connect via firewire