Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

wow that is a long title

but yeah that is my question. I see them from time to time at my local goodwill/thrift shop but I'd be using it only for transferring. So I can't see a point in getting it..unless I'm missing something?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Free Member

CCD-based is generally better than CMOS-based for capturing video - its part of the process in the lens for converting light into digital info. For capturing, it should have no effect on quality.
04-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

If you aren't recording video, the image sensor really doesn't matter. 3CCD doesn't always mean better video quality. Low light performance takes a big hit since there is a prism that splits the incoming light to the three sensors .
05-01-2014, 04:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Is a 3-CCD cameras better? Yes ... but only because the 3-CCD cameras are usually better higher-end cameras. And the single CCD cameras are the cheaper ones.

It reminds me of the megapixels myth. "More is better!" ... but it's really not.

I still remember the Canon ZR series of DV cameras, which "only" had single CCDs. But those cameras often outperformed the Panasonic 3-CCD cameras. Why? The sensor was better. And that's what really mattered.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

thanks for the reply ls
05-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Free Member

As noted above, for capture of MiniDV tape via IEE1394 (aka: firewire, iLink) the number of CCDs does not matter. If using the camcorder as a video camera to capture a live scene it will depend on the the specific gear, the scene, and lighting conditions. Within the same generation of equipment and brand name 3 CCD will generally be better for most purposes.

Quote:
I see them from time to time at my local goodwill/thrift shop
Be sure you give any thrift shop camcorder a good test before spending hard earned dollars.
05-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
As noted above, for capture of MiniDV tape via IEE1394 (aka: firewire, iLink) the number of CCDs does not matter. If using the camcorder as a video camera to capture a live scene it will depend on the the specific gear, the scene, and lighting conditions. Within the same generation of equipment and brand name 3 CCD will generally be better for most purposes.

Be sure you give any thrift shop camcorder a good test before spending hard earned dollars.
thanks dpalomaki I'm actually the nerd who brings 8mm/hi8/minidv tapes with him when going to thrift stores to test stuff I've been down that road once already lol
05-13-2014, 02:49 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeSeven View Post
I'm actually the nerd who brings 8mm/hi8/minidv tapes with him
I do that almost anywhere for any reason.

Storytime...

A month ago, I sat on the floor at Home Depot, pulled out a pocket full of parts, an exacto knife, and opened a ceiling fan box. We partially assembled it on the floor, and made sure it all worked. We actually opened 3 different ones, and 2 did NOT do what was needed. We boxed them back up, then bought the one that worked.

What was funny was several employees would walk over, never say a thing, and look at what we were doing. They never offered to help, asked what we were doing, etc.

Remember: It's always best to ask for forgiveness than permission. Had we asked "can we open this", they may have said no. I didn't give them that chance, and did what I needed.

Longer story: This was day two of our ceiling fan ordeal, as the first salesman told us BS that wasn't true, and we had to return it. I refused to assemble another fan on the ceiling again, only to take it back down! Huge PITA!

(And if you need a ceiling fan, the Home Depot in-house brand Hampton Bay fans are whisper quiet. The so-called "quiet" Hunter fans are crap. They make grinding noises in the motor, and are more expensive to boot. They're therefore doubly bad! This is our 5th Hampton Bay. No, not replacements, all 5 are still in use.)

Anyway, good for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: DeeSeven (05-13-2014)