Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Free Member

Hi,
I couldn't find any answers to my questions about the ATI 600, and I thought it wasn't worth posting in the forums. Can I ask you?

They are:
Will the ATI 600 record closed captions? I'm planning on recording some VHS recordings of TV shows and I'd like to keep the captions.
Will it bypass copy protection? Some of the TV shows you least expect have copy protection on them, and my DVD-VCR combo is having a cow.
And it's true that a TBC will erase all closed captions?

Thanks,
Bartron

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-20-2014, 05:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I'm not sure about the ATI 600. The ATI All In Wonder (AIW) series recorded them.

No, the ATI 600 will not bypass protection. However, most off-air signal do not "protect" themselves as such. Only a few draconian cable providers do this. It often makes a mess out of simply viewing the content!

Yes, a TBC will remove and replace line 21 of the video signal where closed captions are stored.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Free Member

[EDIT: Whoops, could've sworn I refreshed the page but I still didn't see lordsmurf's reponse somehow.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by via Email or PM View Post
Will the ATI 600 record closed captions? I'm planning on recording some VHS recordings of TV shows and I'd like to keep the captions.
You can use it to capture an MPEG-2 with closed captions.

I've tried to figure out how to create a filter graph in GraphEdit that would capture a lossless AVI at the same time as closed captions, but haven't succeeded yet. I think the trick would be including Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter at the relevant spot.

Quote:
Will it bypass copy protection? Some of the TV shows you least expect have copy protection on them, and my DVD-VCR combo is having a cow.
It honors Macrovision at the driver level by digitally corrupting the video periodically.

Quote:
And it's true that a TBC will erase all closed captions?
Someone else will have to answer this from a practical standpoint. Theoretically, it is possible to make a TBC that removes Macrovision but retains line 21 closed captions.