10-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Free Member

This is what I am going to do. Just sharing.... And I am open for tips/corrections.

I'm going to make 2 different simultaneous video captures (and 3 audio captures/digtizing). I'm going to be using Pioneer Elite LD-S2 which is equipped with 2 S-Video out (#1 with OSD and #2 without), Composite out (with OSD), BNC out (composite without OSD), 2 pairs of RCA out, optical out toss-link and AC-3 out.

1. S-Video #2 and one RCA pair out will go to ATI 750 HD USB device which will be plugged to my Lenovo laptop. (Original plan was to use ATI 600 HD USB, but this changed last moment).
2. BNC out and another RCA pair out will go to ATI 750 HD PCIe device.
3. Optical toss link will go to my Aureon Terratec 7.1 Universe soundcard for true bit for bit audio transfer at 16/44.1.

Will do simultaneous capture to all 3 computers. Video capture will be in Huffyuv for all 2. Once done, then I plan to cut certain frames from beginning and end of each of the AVI to make sure 2 files match in time. Then will check the native sound track for these 2 AVIs to make sure it is in sync. And finally will bring the true digital 16/44.1 WAV file and sync with both AVIs. This is going to be in archival quality. From there I will be creating either DVDs or BDs or both. From which of 2 files? I don't know yet. I'll be comparing both files to each other and pick the one which is more pleasant to view (with or without comb filter).

Sounds like a good plan, doesn't it?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I prefer 48kHz for audio. And it's going to be required for any DVD or Blu-ray work.

Otherwise, the plan sounds fine.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I prefer 48kHz for audio. And it's going to be required for any DVD or Blu-ray work.
Yeah, but the digital sound track on LaserDisc is not 48kHz, but 44.1 kHz (or 44.056 kHz for NTSC?). So if I set sampling rate to 48kHz, I will be resampling on the fly which I don't want to do. I will resample to 48kHz for DVD/BD as post processing in SoundForge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserDisc#Audio

--Leonid
10-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Free Member

Sounds good. Hope you will post some samples of what you're able to accomplish.

I'm guessing the Terratec card is in a WinXP machine?
10-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Free Member

Didn't happen the way I initially planned. Nothing matched quality of Blackmagic Intensity for Thunderbolt. ATI 750 have potential AGC issues, ATI 600 USB has low chroma and VC500 (based on Conexant chip) blows up whites and blacks a bit. So for now I am just using Blackmagic Intensity for Thunderbolt for both direct S-Video capture and composite via DMR-ES25 capture. This is more time consuming but quality is more important. I do, however, route optical toss-link to Terratec Aureon Universe soundcard (XP macine) to get pure digital audio.
07-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Site Staff | Video

metaleonid, I'd very much like for you to create a master post of all your capture cards, and I'll then sticky it.

The outcomes of the tests are most important -- which cards are good, which cards are not -- and then the proof/samples can come afterwards in the post.

I've always wanted to do this, but you've done more testing than I have in recent years, and on different cards. So I'd like you to go first, then myself and some others can help build on it.

What do you say?

It would be a great addition to this site.

08-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Free Member

So do you want me to submit the test patterns from DVE using all the cards possible? And also do you want me to use Video Essentials LaserDisc as well? I have no problem doing it but need to find a time.

I don't have Black Magic card any longer though.

I was thinking maybe just to run the tests and mail you the flash drive with samples?
08-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

FTP is probably better. What all would you put on a flash drive?

I'm really open to whatever you want to do for the testing -- the DVE + VE LD sounds fine.

Since we need others to be able to repeat it, however, for adding more reviews/tests, let's maybe try to find some free/universal test that can be uploaded here. I know a number of official DVDs have hidden test patterns, which members of various sites have used in the past. That could be in addition to the two tests you propose.

I have Avia, not DVE. Mine is missing.

08-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Free Member

I could upload the "VHPatterns2" DVDR that I used for the DVD portion of this thread. It's just a combination of a few patterns from DVE + two clips from the THX test section of Ice Age, but the nice thing is that you just hit play and capture for less than 1.5 minutes rather than having to navigate through menus to select each one.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-24-2014)
08-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

That would work!

What do you need to do it? I can give FTP access, or you can Dropbox it to us.

08-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Free Member

I'll find the time and upload it. Remind me if not done in a month. As for reviews, I am not as advanced as say msgohan or you (lack of terminology vocabulary) so wouldn't be as useful but I can try.
08-31-2014, 09:49 AM
Free Member

Sorry for the delay. It fits within the attachments limit so I've just added it to this post. Feel free to remove it if you find a better permanent home for it.

Please note that the Pixel Cropping tests are conversions of BMP files and not direct from AVIA, so they should only be used for looking at image area, not quality. I was going to re-author this using the original VOB, but I wanted to include the modified 704x480 file as well as the original 720x480 one so there isn't much point.

Attached Files
File Type: rar VHPatterns2.rar (10.62 MB, 17 downloads)
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: Mejnour (04-19-2018), sverholm (12-04-2018)