10-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

I know digitally transferring is horrible and shouldn't be done but this isnt my project, its just my equipment so what do i know anyways Ive been noticing that some of these videos I"m transferring over virtualdub has something like "Jitters 11ms" but my audio/video are perfectly synced in the video after its finished capturing.. What causes this? The tape is in good condition, shot on a tripod with no real movement from what I can see. I haven't tried it on another camera as it isn't anything i'm trying to keep for myself so I don't care per say but the curiosity in me has peaked.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
I know digitally transferring is horrible
What do you mean by this?

Quote:
Jitters 11ms
Where is this being reported?

Quote:
my audio/video are perfectly synced in the video after its finished capturing.
Probably so. 11ms is 0.011 seconds. Even 0.1 seconds, 10x that, can be hard to discern a problem. The lipsync is rarely 100% perfect, even on commercial sources.

Quote:
What causes this?
Probably the capture card.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: DeeSeven (01-04-2015)
01-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

I was told that capturing minidv > firewire > virtual dub isn't ideal and is far worse then doing s-video (rca cables) > capture card > virtualdub

the jitters is being reported on the right hand side when capturing in virtualdub
01-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Firewire transfer isn't really "worse" as much as it's unnecessary for non-pro DV work. Consumer cameras can really resolve the beyond s-video. The 4:1:1 (or even 4:2:0) color isn't that resolution anyway, even on the pro DV25 cameras.

There's not anything in VirtualDub that says "jitter". Can I see a screen cap?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

ah good to know thanks ls

of course now that you ask for the screencap I cant figure out where I saw it! but I will be looking for it if it comes up again ill reply here

course now i find it after i post about it

its BELOW the picture sorry ls

on the status window

Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (33.6 KB, 16 downloads)
01-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Free Member

I've never been able to find any documentation, website, or forum discussion that says what that measurement is actually for. Or the "disp" value next to it for that matter, but I haven't searched for that. I ignore both.

That said:
  • I wasn't aware that it was ever possible to capture via Firewire in VirtualDub
  • According to this doc it is possible in some instances, but you're forced to capture audio via analog. Is that what you're doing? The sample rate shown in your screenshot is very strange.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: DeeSeven (01-05-2015)
01-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

that was my next question lol what is the "disp" value

when I capture like this i get video/audio with 0 issues. well "issues" I can't see anything wrong with it. Thankfully this guy just wants tapes to dvd he doesn't care how he gets there. He was gonna send them to cvs and have them do it |>.<|