11-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Free Member

Hello

I'm starting to get back into capturing video and ran into a snag.

My setup is a jvc svhs vrc HR-7600U with built in tbc s video out to ati 600 usb card using Catalyst Media Center at best mode since audio would be in perfect sync and virtual dub seemed to get out of sync by the end.

I don't have a external tbc since it seems tough to find one that works, seeing a lot of complaints about bad chip sets but if i have to i will buy one.

the problem is after an hour the video shifts to the right 3 or 4 pixels and maybe after another half an hour either more to the right or back to the left since the video has a wwf logo i can see really quickly were its happening scanning through the whole video, i was looking for vertical judder didn't find any but found this problem out of the blue and its very frustrating.

dont want to keep wearing out good tapes and keep getting errors

seeing what the experts have to say is it the vcr the usb the software or do i need a external tbc to fix.

thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Free Member

I propose a third option: the logo itself moved slightly in the original broadcast.

Have you ruled this out by capturing the same portion of the video multiple times?
11-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Free Member

Hello msgohan

well i went back to virtualdub since i finally installed huffyuv right and for the first time the audio and video were in sync, but after 1 hour the capture went crazy for a sec and the audio was back out of sync, so i went back and recaptured the final 15 min again and it works so is there something i need to fix in virtualdub a setting to fix.

I know the tape works i ran it in Catalyst Media Center and the video and audio were in sync i just want to use virtualdub and render myself.

As for the original post i did not try the tape again but will with virtualdub when i get all the problems solved.

thanks
11-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Free Member

I assume the VHS was visibly distorted at the part where the capture went crazy.

May not help, but show us a screenshot of your current VirtualDub "Capture -> Timing" settings.
11-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Free Member

here is the timing settings

i tried a couple more times even upping the i/o from 512 to 4 meg but nothing has worked.

maybe i need a clean install, or could it be my creative sb audigy 2 zs sound card i don't know.

my computer specs are

dell computer xpsgen5 2005 machine
intel pentium 4 3.20ghz HT
3 gig ram
windows xp service pack 3
creative sb audigy 2 zs sound card
Nvidia geforce 6800
hard drive 500 gig 5400 rpm

i wouldn't mind Catalyst Media Center so much if it didn't cut the file after every 4 gig and the audio is really loud the wav form is clipped to death i like using my sound card to lower the volume to no clipping.

is there another Catalyst Media Center that fixes this i'm using the version that lordsmurf uploaded for the ati 600 usb, it gives me nice video and audio in sync but i cant fix errors since its already mpeg.

thanks for trying to help
11-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Free Member

In my experience, the top two boxes should be checked or else no frames will ever be reported as dropped even if they are missing from the video stream. This causes desync in the event the capture device encounters a signal it can't interpret as a video frame.

I also check "Correct video timing".

Hang on, are you saying that you capture the audio portion using your sound card rather than connecting the VCR to the ATI 600?
11-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Free Member

ok all give that a shot, cant hurt really want to get going on some projects.

for the audio i always used the usb but thought the audio card would work better since the sync was off, but now its for the audio not to be clipped the wav file on the usb is so loud i changed the audio on computer on the vhs player, i can't get it to go down, so i thought going through my sound card i can lower the volume and get nice no clipped audio.

if thats wrong i will change it but i would like to be able to adjust the volume if possible.
11-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Free Member

It is possible to adjust the volume of the ATI 600 by editing the Registry.

The specific registry location on your own system should be different. Navigate to

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
This is the GUID for audio and video devices. One of the numbered keys under it should be for your ATI 600.
11-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Free Member

I just wanted to thank you msgohan, it took me a few hours since i have no clue about the registry but i got the volume turned down so if i want to use Catalyst Media Center or virtualdub no more audio clipping thanks again.

-- merged --

Well i was working on another tape and the video shifted again so i'm uploading a small vid to show what is going on, its the only thing i'm seeing to mess up the video.

I have been looking into buying a Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD Recorder to fix tearing on some of my tapes, but i don't know what to call the video shift it happens on so far almost all of my tapes also does the dvd recorder fix small vertical jitter bounce.

thanks

Attached Files
File Type: mpg test10.mpg (2.88 MB, 8 downloads)
11-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Free Member

I really think this shift is part of the recording, or perhaps even some VCR issue rather than something on the computer end of things. The soft black border on the left side of the image moves at the same time, while the hard border on the right is stationary.