Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Free Member

i've wanted one of these for years, and this one is now mine. one owner-low usage, damn-near pristine cosmetics,
fresh tune-up/maintenance work in the service shop, and 40 of the better quality late-80's S-VHS cassettes.

- it needed, in my opinion, some lubrication of the mechanism, and a good cleaning of the inside surface of the FL display window,
which, of course, necessitated a front bezel pull.

it now operates perfectly, though to my eye, it's playback PQ, while excellent, simply isn't as good as that of the JVC HR-S8000U.

it somehow seems grainier, and less detailed in washes of high lighting.
perhaps it is this deck's digital video processing that is at fault?
perhaps it's said processing electronics simply aren't as good as the HR-S8000U's? i dunno.

this is one SEXY VCR, in a big, brutish, manly sort of fashion, and i'm grateful to finally own one, -and such an excellent example, at that-
but i must confess i'm a little disappointed in it's raw performance,
which i was hoping would be at last at parity
with my "Class-up-the-Ass" seemingly peerless JVC HR-S8000U, truly the James Bond of VCRs...

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Free Member

some screenshots of an S-VHS recording on the HS-U80, using a late-80's MAXELL SQ ST-120
recorded with my JVC HR-S8000U, seen via a 46" LCD HDM;

- and a prerecorded VHS of a film i'm sure most everyone is quite familiar with;

11-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Free Member

among those forty-odd VHS and S-VHS that came with this U80, were like five or six of TDK's first ever S-VHS offering for the U.S. market,
"EXCELLENT PROFESSIONAL" XP ST-120, dated 1987 on their label sheets.

just committed a recording to one, and they seem exceptionally high quality, yielding about the best S-VHS image i've yet seen on this particular deck;

11-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Free Member

a minor cosmetic enhancement of the U80 remote unit. (Model 939P216A5)

it looks like it was always intended to be there from the factory, IMHO;

(STOCK HS-U80 REMOTE)

11-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Free Member

not sure how well it really shows here, but i just finished up oiling the side panels with OLD ENGLISH wood polish.
the stuff seems to work wonders on refreshing aging wooden surfaces, even imitations such as veneers;

11-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Free Member

S-VHS RECORDING; (from DVD source)

12-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Free Member

i just acquired an "ELECTROHOME" AVR-G96, a CANADA market clone of the MITSUBISHI HS-U80, with intenal issues for about $67shipped. it will serve as a parts donor for both my HS-U80 and -U70;

my U80, while in overall FANTASTIC condition for a VCR of it's age, did actually have some sort of weird rubber peg-foot mod
done by the original owner, and he/she had clearly removed them and refitted the original gunmetal aluminum isolator feet
before listing the deck for sale. a rubbery silicon-like residue was left, seemingly bonded to the sheet metal bottom panel,
which i tried my best, but ultimately failed to remove, so this -G96's identical bottom panel will be replacing it.

also, the G96's isolator foot set will be going to the -U70, making my HS-U80 and HS-U70 REALLY well and truly look like a matched set.

finally, since someone on these boards had suggested that my ailing U70 was suffering a funky PSU, i'll go ahead and swap that out
with the G96's identical PSU and see if that cures my problem...

[QUOTE=Tasuke;464064]uncharacteristically, i never took any photos of the AVR-G96 that just came in yesterday. indeed, it was in poor, non-functional
internal condition, CHOCK-LOADED full of cat-dander.

externally, the parts i really needed were in fine shape, so a general cleanup,
and on they all went to the HS-U80;

the HS- U80 DIGITAL EFFECTS module, up close and personal;

some of the few good condition cosmetic parts i kept from the G96 hulk; (the thing was pretty well worn out and rough around the edges)

12-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Free Member

Japanese market version of the HS-U80, HV-V36;