digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Need to convert Hi8 tapes - best hardware setup for $500? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/6294-convert-hi8-tapes.html)

videoconverter11 01-11-2015 02:02 AM

Need to convert Hi8 tapes - best hardware setup for $500?

Hi everyone!

I currently have around 50 or so video 8 and hi8 tapes sitting and gathering dust. I have tried various ways to get them converted but only managed to convert just a few of the tapes. I have used a "professional service" at around $20 a tape at my local video editing store and have also used the Canopus ADVC 110 unit before. The problem I have is that the Canopus unit I had bought was that when there was a brief empty period on the tape between scenes, the Canopus unit would stop feeding video as it thought the tape had ended. I returned the unit and have not been able to come up with a reliable method since.

Right now, after reading around, I am still unsure what the best method would be for converting my tapes to digital media files. I am currently prepared to spend up to $500 or more dollars for a good TBC box and/or camcorder. Does anyone have any ideas what is a good setup to have? I currently have my eye on the AVT-8710 but have heard mixed reviews. Any advice for a beginner like myself would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all so much!

dpalomaki 01-11-2015 07:21 AM

Were you satisfied with the video store work?
What is you ultimate plan for the capture video?
Editing the video (cuts only or with effects)? restoration/clean up? Dump to DVD for future viewing? etc.?
How much time do you want to devote to the project?
What gear and software do you already have?

videoconverter11 01-11-2015 07:27 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. To answer, I was satisfied, but for privacy, cost, and potentially better imaging, I wanted to do it on my own. The ultimate plan is to upload them onto the cloud for family members to see. My goal is to just obtain a good image and even a large avi file is ok. I currently have lots of time and already have a Sony Handycam that can do a passthough to firewire. I have a macbook pro with 16 GB ram and a 3.00 Ghz i7 processor. I am connecting the firewire to my mac via a thunderbolt to firewire connector. I will also be purchasing the AVT 8710 TBC device, but at this point I am not sure how it will work, since the AVT device appears to be only in analog and I am already getting a digital signal right out of the Handycam. Thanks!!

lordsmurf 02-17-2015 08:44 AM

$500 will be a tight budget for (1) S-VHS VCR with TBC quality Hi8 camera, (2) external TBC, (3) quality capture card.

It's possible, but tight. Most conversion work needs about double that budget for the hardware (and often some software) -- to say nothing on the time required, and the learning curve. For under 50 tapes, which you're right at, a quality service is suggested. Noting, of course, that "quality" can be hard to come by. (The local strip mall shops are NEVER quality places for video work.)

A Mac is the wrong workflow for VHS/8mm work. It's square peg for a round hole.

You were on the right path for the AVT-8710 TBC (DataVideo TBC-1000 is better), but a Handucam won't work for the capture card.

dpalomaki 02-17-2015 12:39 PM

Hi8/8mm VCRs are not common, and finding camcorders that provide good playback may be problematic.

The Sony GV-D200 D8 Walkman can playback Hi8/8mm tape and advertizes an internal TBC that can be switched on/off. It also has some DNR that can be enabled or disabled. It has offers both analog (s-video & composite) and IEEE1394 output.

The Sony EV-S7000 was a high end prosumer Hi8/8mm VCR complete with switchable TBC and DNR, and has s-video outputs and LANC cotnrol for editing. It could be fooled into ignoring Macrovision as well.

I suspect both of these are hard to find these days.

The Canon A1 Digital, L1, and L2 Hi8 camcorders appear to have had an internal TBC for tape playback as well.

volksjager 02-18-2015 07:20 AM

what model handicam do you have?
i have a list of good Sony Hi handicams with TBC posted somewhere on the forum.
that is you best bet - the HI TBC decks are very few models and way overpriced, they are also mid 90's vintage
whereas the Handicams can be much newer - also easier to find handicams with little to no use on them

vhsdigital34 03-06-2015 02:18 PM

Hi volksjager,

I'm also looking for a good handicam myself for transfering old family hi8 tapes to huffyuv avi files. I have your post in the forum with a list of models below. Which are the best for capturing these tapes? How do you tell whether there's little to no use on them (unless it'll be a long response and you don't have time describing it)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!!

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...cr-buying.html

volksjager 03-06-2015 02:29 PM

they are all pretty much the same
the XR cams are better if you tapes where made on an XR cam (probably unlikely)
Stereo cams will be better if you tapes are in stereo

as far as condition, you can usually tell by really looking them over good
avoid any that are not in good cosmetic shape (sign they where abused or neglected)
look inside at the mech , head and pinch roller - look for dirt, wear, cracking on the roller etc

vhsdigital34 03-06-2015 04:09 PM

Thank you very much volksjager!

Are the DCR-TRVs newer? If so, should I pursue those instead?

volksjager 03-06-2015 04:48 PM

yes they are newer and they also play Digital8 tapes
just make sure you get one that has 8mm/Hi8 playback - some are digital8 only.

vhsdigital34 03-06-2015 06:07 PM

Thanks again!!

thecoalman 03-08-2015 03:14 AM

Be aware some if not all of the Digital 8 camcorders compatible with hi-8 will convert to DV, you'll have to check the specs. You don't need a converter in that case, just plug the firewire cable into the computer.

Quote:

The problem I have is that the Canopus unit I had bought was that when there was a brief empty period on the tape between scenes, the Canopus unit would stop feeding video as it thought the tape had ended.
I don't recall any issues like this on my 110, you're feeding it an analog signal which as AFAIK is always going to be something. Are you sure the capture software you were using didn't have scene detection or something?

vhsdigital34 03-08-2015 01:45 PM

Hi thecoalman,

If using the SVideo out on the digital 8 camcorder, is it converting from analog to DV to analog or would that set up just play back straight analog?

volksjager 03-08-2015 03:02 PM

the s-video out is normal analog on a D8 cam
the firewire is for DV and i dont suggest using that

thecoalman 03-08-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vhsdigital34 (Post 37059)
Hi thecoalman,

If using the SVideo out on the digital 8 camcorder, is it converting from analog to DV to analog or would that set up just play back straight analog?

You have hi8 right? It's already analog. Digital 8 is DV and in the case of some camcorders backwards compatible with analog hi-8. Instead feeding your s-Video into a DV converter you can just feed it right through the camcorder for conversion. You connect directly to the computer with firewire.

Some of them you can even hook an analog source like a VHS deck too. You can use them just like Canopus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksjager (Post 37060)
the s-video out is normal analog on a D8 cam
the firewire is for DV and i dont suggest using that

I'm not aware of any major differences with DV encoders, if he has one of those cams with that capability I'm not sure what the point is of buying a DV encoder if you already have one.

volksjager 03-08-2015 04:46 PM

he isnt doing DV transfers - DV is lousy for analog transfers
he wants to capture Hi8 analog tape to Huffyuv .avi
he is much better off using a ati capture card off the S-video with a frame TBC