Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Free Member

I have been using Virtualdub for a couple weeks to import VHS tapes into my PC with an ATI 600 USB device. Some were fine, some had Frames dropped, and some had Frames inserted, and some had both. I had a tape that had just Frames Inserted. About 26 of them. Happened twice. Here's the challenge. I cleaned off my hard drive, and set "No Display" on the video tab. The tape went thru without any Frames Inserted this time. Does turning off the display disable VirtualDub's process for Frames inserted and dropped frame detection? Or was the cleaning and defragging of the hard drive and possibly turning off the preview window just beneficial in the import process?

Thanks.

JR
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-06-2014, 06:20 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
I figured it would come down to looking over the Virtualdub settings. I forget, but aren't you using a laptop (I wouldn't wish that on anyone) or the same hard drive as your OS (ditto)? Yes, defrag helps, turning off internet network connection (just unplugging doesn't help, the system still keeps searching for a connection), and all that. Turning off Preview is also a big step -- it seems to be designed for "preview", i.e, adjusting and whatnot rather than actual capture -- I've crashed VDub several times trying to capture and forgetting to turn Preview off on my older 1.8GHz capture PC.
12-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply sanlyn. No, not a laptop. Using an old Dell desktop. 3GHz dual core. 6GB Ram but that's pointless because I'm on WinXP 32-bit.
  • With encoding using Lagarith Codec.
  • Network was right clicked and disabled

My Capture Timings:

My Disk I/O settings are:

Let me know if you need anything else to look at. Most/all should be set to what you recommended before. I know Disk I/O you mentioned to leave at default. Is Disable Windows write buffering a good thing?

For reference, CPU jumps between 6 and 35 percent so probably not an issue there.

Thanks.

JR

Last edited by jriker1; 12-06-2014 at 09:45 AM.
02-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriker1 View Post
I have been using Virtualdub for a couple weeks to import VHS tapes into my PC with an ATI 600 USB device. Some were fine, some had Frames dropped, and some had Frames inserted, and some had both.
Are you using an external TBC?

Quote:
Does turning off the display disable VirtualDub's process for Frames inserted and dropped frame detection?
Hmm.... interesting.

It might. Because the graphics overlay/preview should not affect the capturing.

Quote:
Or was the cleaning and defragging of the hard drive
This is far more likely. When troubleshooting, only do one thing at a time. Otherwise, you'll not know what fixed it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs