digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Testing the output file from a VHS capture for static (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/6463-testing-output-file.html)

vbevan 04-01-2015 09:10 AM

Testing the output file from a VHS capture for static

I've captured many hours of video from VHS archiving old family videos before they degrade and noticed there are sections of video where there is a lot of noise, probably from dirty sections of tape.

Is there a way using avisynth/virtualdub or some other program I can automatically scan and identify these sections so I can go back and just recapture those parts. They pop up every hour or two of capture, and I was hoping to not have to review the more than 80 hours of footage I will have at the end. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about at 0:05, 0:12, 0:20 etc.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecxcrdCgLHs

sanlyn 04-01-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbevan (Post 37362)
Is there a way using avisynth/virtualdub or some other program I can automatically scan and identify these sections so I can go back and just recapture those parts.

I'm afraid not.

The problem could be your VCR, or any number of other things. But we can't say, because you haven't given much info. What player are you using? What capture device? Does the same problem show up when you play the tapes on a VCR straight to a TV? Does it always show up in the same place?

One thing's certain: either your line tbc is turned off, or you're in serious need of one. Some bad vertical chroma shift, too.

dpalomaki 04-01-2015 02:21 PM

Is that repeating regularly on the bad section of the capture? Looks like it could be related to tape wrap on the supply or take up reel, perhaps where the tape is losing tracking?

vbevan 04-01-2015 03:21 PM

Further info

Quick rundown of specs:
Player: LG GC990W, basically a run of the mill 6-head VCR. No real configuration options worth mentioning.
Capture device: WinFast PxDVR3200 H using composite input.
Capture software: Virtual VCR - Video input compressed with MagicYUV 1.1, default settings except "Interlaced" to true.

The static goes away after I FF/RW the section a couple of times. Occasionally the "head doctor" (in-built overlay screen) pops up telling me the head is dirty, and sure enough the paper I'm cleaning it with comes back dirty. That's why I think it's just dirty tape?

I don't have a line TBC (I'm assuming this VCR doesn't have one?), I did read a little about them and know the theory. Given how hard it is to source VCRs today, is it worth buying a new player with line TBR (JVC HR-S7800U or similar) or would I end up with a better capture with the player I have and a proper TBC, like the AVT-8710? The price difference is not that much (TBC is actually cheaper), since the scarcity of VCRs seems to have driven their price up (at least here in Australia).

dpalomaki 04-02-2015 06:29 AM

Quote:

The static goes away after I FF/RW the section a couple of times.
Sounds like the tape may have been sticking a bit on the supply reel, and the FF/RW serve to free the tape allowing smoother feed and proper tracking.

Quote:

...me the head is dirty, and sure enough the paper I'm cleaning it with comes back dirty
Also sounds like the tape is deteriorating - the glues and binders holding the magnetic layer to the tape base are starting to dry out and shed material. Definitely time to capture and preserve the content as it will only get worse.

lordsmurf 04-04-2015 08:03 AM

This is obviously a low-grade VCR in use here. The timing is off, and the tracking is terrible. That's the problem, and no amount of software can ever fix this. A better VCR is needed -- likely a Panasonic AG1980P.