Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Free Member

Hi, a friend of mine recommended this to me and I thought I'd have a go. I hope this is the place to ask these following questions.
I have two vcr's that won't play properly:

First a Salora SV 6700 that won't play the tapes properly, playback's either too fast or too slow. Adjusting the tracking doesn't help at all.
Here's a video of how it looks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nM4Yu1sCQ

The second one is a n old ITT that'll only play a tape for ½ second and the it stops. The right right spool doesn't seem to turn properly, it's just twitching/struggling forward.

---
At first they seemed to work fine but when I was going to watch an entire movie, the troubles described above appeared. I bought both vcr's used a few weeks ago.

I wonder if there's something I can do to fix them or are they just too far gone?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Free Member

the second one sound like a belt may be bad/slipping.

honestly i doubt either of these VCR's are worth messing with
if you are doing tape transfers you need one of the good JVC or Panasonic VCR's
if you just want to watch VHS tapes pick up a $5 working VCR at Goodwill or a thrift shop
02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
tone of the good JVC or Panasonic VCR's
Those are listed here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

And I agree with volksjager's assessment.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Free Member

Thank you guy. I'm really just after a good "work horse".
I watch a lot of vhs tapes, one or two every day. I collect certain movies on vhs.

Do you have a list of vcr's that are just good "work horses"? My vcr doesn't have to top notch picture as long as it's reliable.
02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Free Member

if you watch alot and collect VHS you should have a decent VCR - you dont want a crap VCR eating a tape.
the top JVC's on the list are usually around $200-$300, but if you are a good ebayer you can snatch them up for less.
some of the older JVC's Super-VHS are built like tanks and can be had on ebay for very reasonable.
Panasonic Ag-1970 & Ag-1980's can be had for under $100
some Sharps and Toshibas are good too
stay away from cheap plasticy units - stuff like Emerson, GE, Symphonic etc are complete crap

not sure where you are- but make sure you get a correct format (NTSC, PAL etc)
just saying cause the YT clip you posted was a foreign language
02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
if you watch alot and collect VHS you should have a decent VCR - you dont want a crap VCR eating a tape.
the top JVC's on the list are usually around $200-$300, but if you are a good ebayer you can snatch them up for less.
some of the older JVC's Super-VHS are built like tanks and can be had on ebay for very reasonable.
Panasonic Ag-1970 & Ag-1980's can be had for under $100
some Sharps and Toshibas are good too
stay away from cheap plasticy units - stuff like Emerson, GE, Symphonic etc are complete crap

not sure where you are- but make sure you get a correct format (NTSC, PAL etc)
just saying cause the YT clip you posted was a foreign language
So far I've used Sony and Philips vcr's. I live in Finland, never heard of brands like Emerson, GE and Symphonic.
I have an older LG that plays several kinds of ntsc, pal and secam tapes. But I prefer to not use it since I don't know if I'll ever find a similar one. It even playes ntsc tapes that my other vcr's won't play.

I'm acquiring a Panasonic NVHD-620, I noticed that it was listed on your site as a good vcr.