Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-14-2015, 11:06 PM
Free Member

Mine was collecting dust as one of the newer, 'defective' models, and I took it out and realized some of the issues that have been raised have become blessings in disguise.

The cause for the field lock issue where it freezes up and restarts I do not believe is a technical fault. Frame synchronizers are used in many other situations besides tape. The root of the device's evil apparently stems from no stabilization compensation. It cannot handle vertical jitter at all, which typically and almost always where I have seen an issue. I am wondering if this device was designed with tape in mind at all.

This makes it a poor candidate for personal tapes, however, I have been doing a lot of commercial stuff lately and realized that with having more than one copy of the same tape, this issue actually marks the bad spots so it is easy to find sections to insert from a different source.

My two cents.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-19-2015, 02:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The Cypress units were indeed created with analog tapes in mind: VHS-based and Video8-based.

The problem is that the unit is simply use subpar/defective chipsets now. All through the late 90s and two-third of 00s, it did not have this issue.

I'm not convinced that it only has problems with vertical "jitter" (not technical jitter). Other issue are still reported.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs