05-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Free Member

I own both the TBC-1000 and the TBC-100. This noise/artifact appears on every frame with both devices:

Examples not highlighted:

I accept that this is part of the way it handles video, but is there a gentle filter that can remove this as static noise?

As this is present in both the TBC-100 and TBC-1000, I am assuming it is not the VP-299.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: png GreyBoxed.png (471.4 KB, 89 downloads)
File Type: png Grey.png (344.8 KB, 85 downloads)
File Type: png He-Man.png (514.9 KB, 19 downloads)
File Type: png Lock.png (486.7 KB, 12 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-22-2015, 09:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
OT: What is that He-man image from?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
OT: What is that He-man image from?

Demo tape!
05-23-2015, 04:31 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
I own both the TBC-1000 and the TBC-100. This noise/artifact appears on every frame with both devices:
I accept that this is part of the way it handles video, but is there a gentle filter that can remove this as static noise?

As this is present in both the TBC-100 and TBC-1000, I am assuming it is not the VP-299.
Given the info you posted, your conclusion isn't supported. The VP-299 is the common element, not the tbc's. Where are the tests without the tbcs? Where are the tests without the vp-299? Whats your control element? Based on your images, the info given, and no other tests, I'd blame the VP-299, the player, or the capture device.

Most plugins that have a chroma filtering element will address chroma noise. CNR2, QTGMC, MCTemporalDenoise. TemporalSoften, de-rainbowers like BiFrost, ChubbyRain2, lower chroma filter settings in FFT3D, sometimes TComb, and even low sigma with Dfttest or DFTtestMC, or VirtualDub's Camcorder Color Denoise.

Does this noise element move, change position, change shape, etc? If it is constant and never changes, no filter will see it as noise.
05-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Given the info you posted, your conclusion isn't supported. The VP-299 is the common element, not the tbc's. Where are the tests without the tbcs? Where are the tests without the vp-299? Whats your control element? Based on your images, the info given, and no other tests, I'd blame the VP-299, the player, or the capture device.

Most plugins that have a chroma filtering element will address chroma noise. CNR2, QTGMC, MCTemporalDenoise. TemporalSoften, de-rainbowers like BiFrost, ChubbyRain2, lower chroma filter settings in FFT3D, sometimes TComb, and even low sigma with Dfttest or DFTtestMC, or VirtualDub's Camcorder Color Denoise.

Does this noise element move, change position, change shape, etc? If it is constant and never changes, no filter will see it as noise.
These were all from VCR -> TBC-100 -> capture card. The noise stays the same, shows up on every tape, every VCR, and every DVD recorder where a TBC-100/1000 has been used. The noise almost looks like you are looking through a screen door in parts of the video.
05-24-2015, 04:58 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
It's strange that the noise should be so consistent and stable using all methods as you describe -- but it's certainly possible and appears to be the case, as you've described it. I can't say I've ever seen it mentioned. The filters mentioned earlier have all been suggested by others (and use myself) to clean up rainbows and similar patterns. Which would be best? There's no way to tell from a still image. You'd need a few seconds of sample video.
05-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
It's strange that the noise should be so consistent and stable using all methods as you describe -- but it's certainly possible and appears to be the case, as you've described it. I can't say I've ever seen it mentioned. The filters mentioned earlier have all been suggested by others (and use myself) to clean up rainbows and similar patterns. Which would be best? There's no way to tell from a still image. You'd need a few seconds of sample video.
Thanks for the feedback.

Static noise reduction that comes with this sites VirtualDub pack does a pretty good job, but the issue is still there on capture. I either own/owned everything mentioned on this site and have found that there is no perfect solution, but I think the TBC-100 is probably among the best considering the alternatives.

The rainbows always get tackled successfully by CCD - this noise appears more transparent in nature but the rainbows help to identify it.

See attached sample saved in LAGS - it appears more obvious on motion but it is still there.

Attached Files
File Type: avi sample.avi (27.35 MB, 8 downloads)
06-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I want a copy of that tape. You actually found something that I don't have.

I've seen weird TBC errors for as long as I've used TBCs. When I first moved to Nashville, about 10 years ago, I could not use my TBC-1000 or TBC-100s. The TVA power has some sort of noise. I hated it. I sold the TBC-1000 to get another AVT-8710. Since leaving, my DataVideo TBCs are fine again. So sometimes the power is to blame. Even on a UPS with AVR, the noise would leak through.

What I see here is tolerable. The TVA issue was 100x worse.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I want a copy of that tape. You actually found something that I don't have.
If you make a set and share, I will give you all of them for free