Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Better yet, it's easy enough to make an experiment. Install Lagarith on both PCs. You can download it here: http://lags.leetcode.net/LagarithSetup_1327.exe. The Lagarith installer puts 32-bit LAG into XP, and automatically puts 32-bit and 64-bit in different locations in Win7/64. On your capture PC, open a huff sample and do this in VirtualDub:
- set "Video" -> "color depth" to YUY2
- set "Video" -> "compression" to Lagarith lossless codec.
- You will see the small Lagarith configuration menu. In the window are 4 checkboxes. The only box that should be checked is "Use Multithreading". Uncheck all the others.
- On the right-hand side, set the "Mode" window to YUY2.
- Click "OK" and exit from those menus.
- In the VDub top "Video" menu, enable "fast recompress".
- Save the new AVI.

The AVI should play normally on both PCs in VLC (if it's a newer edition), VirtualDub, MPC-BE, and WMP.
Haven't forgot this! I have installed on my non-cap PC, will do same on Cap PC soon, and try out/report.soon.

Last edited by rocko; 07-22-2015 at 07:33 AM. Reason: add
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingfahrer View Post
Since you're capturing NTSC you should use field treshold of 240 lines, 288 is for PAL.
Again, changing it from 288 to 240 is unnecessary. The original author of Huffyuv (and Avisynth!!) is no dummy. I personally would call him a genius and a video/programming expert. Plus he is American, or at least went to university in the USA (NTSC country).

Do you really think he would hardcode a threshold that was wrong for NTSC, and never correct this supposed error?

A capture with a height of 480 will be compressed the same way whether the Field Threshold is set to 240, 288, or any other value from 0-479 (or 1-479 if 0 isn't allowed).

Just look at the math, not someone's forum post.

If (Height > Field Threshold) then {Interlaced Mode}

Field Threshold = 288
240 > 288 = false
288 > 288 = false
480 > 288 = true
576 > 288 = true

Field Threshold = 240
240 > 240 = false
288 > 240 = true
480 > 240 = true
576 > 240 = true

Changing the threshold to 240 causes single-field PAL to be encoded in interlaced mode, worsening compression. More importantly, it breaks backwards compatibility with the original unpatched Huffyuv and any derivations that don't implement this feature originated by the CCE-SP patch. Besides these two downsides, changing the threshold from 288 to 240 makes no difference for these four standard resolutions. There is no advantage.

Is this any clearer...? I'm hoping math is more universal than English.

P.S. Typing this on my phone was incredibly frustrating.
07-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
Just look at the math, not someone's forum post.
P.S. Typing this on my phone was incredibly frustrating.
Your input, and sanlyns input is what I trust the most, and not gone to waste! A very educational experience for me, and other viewers, on what is sometimes an inherently and very confusing task for the common layman (like me) trying to get better results from VHS to Digital transfer than the "Easy all in one" box offers. Your points are well taken,that is why DFAQ is here!..As I learned in Recovery meetings long ago: Take with you what you need ,and dis-regard the rest!.
07-25-2015, 07:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Better yet, it's easy enough to make an experiment. Install Lagarith on both PCs. You can download it here: http://lags.leetcode.net/LagarithSetup_1327.exe. The Lagarith installer puts 32-bit LAG into XP, and automatically puts 32-bit and 64-bit in different locations in Win7/64. On your capture PC, open a huff sample and do this in VirtualDub:
- set "Video" -> "color depth" to YUY2
- set "Video" -> "compression" to Lagarith lossless codec.
- You will see the small Lagarith configuration menu. In the window are 4 checkboxes. The only box that should be checked is "Use Multithreading". Uncheck all the others.
- On the right-hand side, set the "Mode" window to YUY2.
- Click "OK" and exit from those menus.
- In the VDub top "Video" menu, enable "fast recompress".
- Save the new AVI.

The AVI should play normally on both PCs in VLC (if it's a newer edition), VirtualDub, MPC-BE, and WMP.
In the text that says "open a huff sample", did you mean one of my recent "bad" samples (like the one I uploaded on this thread, I have been having trouble with?)) or one of my earlier, playable huff files?...outcome of test is too see if something is wrong with my Cap PC settings?....BTW, Received beautiful BJC S-video (Spark-Plug) cables yesterday!..will do A-B comparison as soon as I get Cap PC going again!...WOW Just Had Big Jolt Earthquake 5:55am PST here in So-Cal!..lasted about 3.5 secs..gotta go!...Centered in Fontana,Ca according to local news 6:05am

Last edited by rocko; 07-25-2015 at 08:05 AM. Reason: add
07-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Uh-oh! Find a safe place and hold on tight.

The idea of the huffyuv->Lagarith recompression is to take a huff capture that plays OK on the capture machine but won't decode correctly on other machines. The Lagarith version should decode properly on other PC's with Lagarith. I thought that problem had been solved a while back.

The BJC should give a claner image without a lot of chroma sputter (especially in low-frequency colors like red) and there should be less wire transmission noise, normal contrast without a lot of "enhancement" (wire noise and impedance problems) and accurate color. Of course the tape source has its own problems, and the BJC is not a dnr device. It just outputs what it sees at the input end.

I was in NY visiting at a place near the ocean and managed to survive the landfall of hurricane Sandy. That lasted more than 3.5 seconds, though. The building I was in is on a slight rise in the terrain, so we only had about 4 inches of water in the street. The rest of the neighborhood was a mess. Next morning, a tired loon was sitting at rest on the front lawn for a couple of hours, we figure he/she was at least 3 miles away from home.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: rocko (07-26-2015)
07-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
In the text that says "open a huff sample", did you mean one of my recent "bad" samples (like the one I uploaded on this thread, I have been having trouble with?)) or one of my earlier, playable huff files?...outcome of test is too see if something is wrong with my Cap PC settings?....BTW, Received beautiful BJC S-video (Spark-Plug) cables yesterday!..will do A-B comparison as soon as I get Cap PC going again!...WOW Just Had Big Jolt Earthquake 5:55am PST here in So-Cal!..lasted about 3.5 secs..gotta go!...Centered in Fontana,Ca according to local news 6:05am
Nevermind everybody!!, I found the working huffyuv version/settings, after wrestling all night, found out my XP AGP Cap PC works best with non MT version of Huffyuv!!..S-Video (Jul 25)HuffSingle ATI.avi.....Field threshhold set at 288,.YUY2 comp set median,RGB comp set gradient...which is the huffyuv settings I pretty sure I used following the guides as originally written by Lordsmurf!...I think my original (working) threshhold set-up was at 480 lines,but not sure now...anyway, I will install new bluejeans cables and share results soon!!...Here are results I was getting with Huffyuv MT version....VLC error 7-25-15.jpg

Last edited by rocko; 07-25-2015 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add
07-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
When you're ready to post another sample, I would like to see one direct from the VCR to the capture card, to eliminate more hardware variables.
msgohan,Please see my post/sample .avi attachment from today,....ignore any possible RFI interference in file, I will post a thread with new cables/cap/settings soon!

Last edited by rocko; 07-25-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add
07-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Here are results I was getting with Huffyuv MT version....Attachment 4995
VLC uses its own internal decoders. It doesn't support huffMT, even if you have it installed. It doesn't work with UT codec either, and several other media players don't recognize UT. VLC works with some huff's, later editions work with Lagarith.
07-25-2015, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
...anyway, I will install new bluejeans cables and share results soon!!...Here are results I was getting with Huffyuv MT version....[ATTACH]4995 http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...e-vlc-error-25[/ATTACH]
That herringbone noise doesn't look to me like RF caused by poor cable insulation alone. We used to call it FM frequency hash some years back. Bad grounding is a possible cause, especially in a cable connector itself (such as bad pin connections or cracked pin solder joints), or in electronic components, etc. I have 3 PC's, a laptop, a small CRT TV, two LCD monitors, a cable modem, an HD cable box, a wireless router, an all-in-one printer in my corner desk area, wireless phones, the main incoming cable line.....When I'm capturing add a VCR, PA-1 Proc Amp, and DVD pass-thru. There are electrical wires, a/v wires, power cables, two PS battery units, a huge central 8-plug AC wall socket...and so forth. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a "PC cockpit" of some kind. Also passing thru the wall behind the 8-socket panel is wiring to two other central wall areas, including the air conditioner wiring.

If that FM hash is in your home power setup to begin with, changing a single wire probably won't clear it. Then again, if it works I wouldn't be over surprised. Hope you find a fix.
07-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Your input, and sanlyns input is what I trust the most
Thanks, but Goldwingfahrer is an expert in his own right with 5000 posts on the German Doom9 forum alone. I see he actually asked on there what they thought of my Huffyuv Field Threshold = 288 post.

Quote:
[screenshot of VLC saying it doesn't support Huffyuv-MT]
Fair enough. If you really like VLC, stick to the single-threaded Huffyuv.

Quote:
VLC uses its own internal decoders. ... It doesn't work with UT codec either
The latest version (2.2.1) works with ULY2, ULY0, ULRA, and ULRG. It doesn't recognize ULH2 or ULH0, even though I see that there were patches submitted to ffmpeg & VLC to add this support. ULY2 is Ut Video's FOURCC for 4:2:2 with BT.601 colors, so for our SD tape capture purposes I'm pleased to report that VLC does support the part of Ut Video we're interested in.

Unfortunately VLC still doesn't provide any option for deinterlacing TFF AVI files.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: rocko (07-26-2015)
07-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
ULY2 is Ut Video's FOURCC for 4:2:2 with BT.601 colors, so for our SD tape capture purposes I'm pleased to report that VLC does support the part of Ut Video we're interested in.
Kat time I downloaded a UT sample from a website, all I saw in VLC player was a black screen. Exactly how it as compressed, I didn't boitehr too look. Played with no image in MPC-BE as well.

Quote:
Unfortunately VLC still doesn't provide any option for deinterlacing TFF AVI files.
VLC has no problem deinterlacing my TFF Lagarith or huffyuv AVI's. So far. Maybe you refer to UT TFF interlaced?
07-26-2015, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks, but Goldwingfahrer is an expert in his own right with 5000 posts on the German Doom9 forum alone.
Yes, and way ahead of me!..I just got mixed up with the slight language barrier sometimes, combined with some of the tech talk that was already over my head.

Last edited by rocko; 07-26-2015 at 10:50 PM. Reason: add
07-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
That herringbone noise doesn't look to me like RF caused by poor cable insulation alone. We used to call it FM frequency hash some years back. Bad grounding is a possible cause, especially in a cable connector itself (such as bad pin connections or cracked pin solder joints), or in electronic components, etc.

If that FM hash is in your home power setup to begin with, changing a single wire probably won't clear it. Then again, if it works I wouldn't be over surprised. Hope you find a fix.
Thanks, I do have all Cap equip power connected to a an APC UPS (haven't tried an actual Power Conditioner yet, do have a Furnman conditioner for my audio gear.)..and after using new BJC S-video cable from VCR-to-ATI card input block/cable, I realized that I was leaving the ATI block/cable out of the equation. So after clipping about 7 add-on chokes around the (5 foot?) ATI input cable, the herringbone/noise got less and less, (no chokes on BJC cable). Looks much better now!...Wish there was a way to run S-video cable directly to card w/o having to use silly (10pin?) ATI cable/input block? (which actually adds total length to whatever S-cable is attached) Pictured here is input block, with most of cable out of view, the rectangular white things are snap-on "RFI" chokes. IMG_0929 (800x450).jpg

Last edited by rocko; 07-26-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: add
07-27-2015, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Wish there was a way to run S-video cable directly to card w/o having to use silly (10pin?) ATI cable/input block? (which actually adds total length to whatever S-cable is attached)
Looks like I stumbled into a "Purple ATI Box" eliminator!..cant go wrong for 4 bucks!..in my situation anyway, the shorter cable,the better.http://www.svideo.com/4head.html

Last edited by rocko; 07-27-2015 at 12:19 AM. Reason: add
07-27-2015, 12:17 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Kat time I downloaded a UT sample from a website, all I saw in VLC player was a black screen. Played with no image in MPC-BE as well.
Sounds like it was a blank file. Doesn't MPC-BE use installed system codecs the same way as MPC & MPC-HC?

I've attached a 1-frame sample. Since VLC by default closes any file after playing, enable:
  1. Tools
  2. Preferences
  3. Simple [bottom left radio button]
  4. Playlist and Instances [heading]
  5. Pause on the last frame of a video.

Quote:
VLC has no problem deinterlacing my TFF Lagarith or huffyuv AVI's. So far.
With bob mode (Yadif 2x)? If you don't get stutter using that mode with TFF files, please do upload a short sample and share your VLC version number.

Attached Files
File Type: avi AVS - Pioneer CLD-S201 - XCard [1-frame ULY2].avi (254.9 KB, 7 downloads)
07-27-2015, 03:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Regarding RFI, I learned (or re-learned) something yesterday*. LED bulbs can emit radio frequency waves! So if you have a CFL on the same circuit, you could get RFI (radio frequency interference). Remember to never put a lamp on the UPS or surge protector! In fact, nothing on the same circuit should be LED.

* Due to repairing the garage door opener. The LED issue was in a manual addendum back in 2005.

Some LEDs are fine, some are not. Because of how quickly the bulb market changes, it can be impossible to list out known good/bad bulbs.

I may have already known this at one point, as my previous home office was using non-CFL bulbs on purpose. But I don't entirely remember why I did that.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-28-2015, 05:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Regarding RFI, I learned (or re-learned) something yesterday*. LED bulbs can emit radio frequency waves! So if you have a CFL on the same circuit, you could get RFI (radio frequency interference). Remember to never put a lamp on the UPS or surge protector! In fact, nothing on the same circuit should be LED.
I forgot too!, have a fancy 5 bulb (cascade?) lamp sitting right on the Cap PC/VCR desk! (IS also a dark corner of a dark room)....which now has 5 CFL's to reduce heat and cost. Thought we had something here, but alas, turned them off, and un-plugged from Wall..Still seeing same level of RFI. And sanlyn mentioned possible FM interference also. So when I saw this printed on the CFL package, I noticed it it mentioned 0.45 to 30 Mhz (lower FM?) I thought AHAH!

CFL info (800x450).jpg

Oh well, waiting for ATI 4 head input adapter from S-video.com,. which will replace the 5 or 6 foot cable on current ATI purple input block...will probably still have to use a few clip on chokes...I must have some pretty strong FM/RFI in my current location, short of moving all my video cap equip back to my Audio room?..might try that too!

Last edited by rocko; 07-28-2015 at 05:04 AM. Reason: add
07-28-2015, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

Does this RF problem show up everywhere, like when played on TV? I confess I've never had the problem, although I did have some old TV broadcasts of a bad cable signal that had FM hash in the transmission. Those tapes were monsters to clean up in Avisynth and Virtualdub. I still have one of those tapes lying around somewhere.
07-29-2015, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Does this RF problem show up everywhere, like when played on TV?
No RF noticed on TV's or PC Monitors. (Maybe very,very faintly on PC monitors, but I think what I'm seeing there is the normal (clock/timing/flicker/phasing?). But it is very obvious on Cap PC preview window,(signal coming from VCR-to-PC) even before capturing, and then same noise is transferred to captured files, visible during playback. My new, 9 inch long "ATI 4 headed" input adapter arrived today, will install, and post a new b-4/after thread. Something in my cap PC input signal chain appears to be overly-sensitive to outside interference, and even though shorter cables with RFI chokes added seems to almost eliminate the problem, my fix could still be masking a possible sensitivity problem with the ATI card (FM section maybe) or defective shielding on the card?, or something else inside the PC?

Last edited by rocko; 07-29-2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add
07-31-2015, 01:38 AM
Premium Member

http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-1.avi
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-2.avi
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-3.avi
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-4.avi

will attach 4 of the same video files for comparison,

(BTW found proper huffyuv single thread that works on my cap PC)...All using VCR (w/TBC on) to ATI 9600xt Cap Card...(No AVToolbox for now)..using 3 foot Blue Jeans Cable VCR out to....

(File #1) 5 foot ATI Purple Input Block, No RFI Chokes added....then
(File #2) 9 inch ATI input adaptor (Purple ATI box eliminator),No RFI Chokes added...Then
(File #3) same as #2,bur RFI chokes added around Video and Audio cables...Then Paused VCR file
(#4), same as #3, to see if any RFI on cleaned-up input signal?...(1,2,3 then 3 Paused comparison)....

Last edited by rocko; 07-31-2015 at 01:49 AM. Reason: add