Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-03-2015, 09:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-1.avi
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-2.avi
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-3.avi
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-4.avi

will attach 4 of the same video files for comparison,

(BTW found proper huffyuv single thread that works on my cap PC)...All using VCR (w/TBC on) to ATI 9600xt Cap Card...(No AVToolbox for now)..using 3 foot Blue Jeans Cable VCR out to....

(File #1) 5 foot ATI Purple Input Block, No RFI Chokes added....then
(File #2) 9 inch ATI input adaptor (Purple ATI box eliminator),No RFI Chokes added...Then
(File #3) same as #2,bur RFI chokes added around Video and Audio cables...Then Paused VCR file
(#4), same as #3, to see if any RFI on cleaned-up input signal?...(1,2,3 then 3 Paused comparison)....
Fixed your links. Avoid punctuation in filenames, and you'll avoid problems.

This is still the same topic, so let's not start a new thread.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (08-03-2015)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Fixed your links. Avoid punctuation in filenames, and you'll avoid problems.

This is still the same topic, so let's not start a new thread.
LOL!..looks like you were fixing at same time I was fixing, no wonder I got an error when I hit "submit" on quick reply to my new (now deleted) thread..again..LOL!..BTW how did you know I replaced the # with - on the server files?.. And thanks for cleaning up my mess..not sure/still learning how to make text or links appear on post as a"list".

Last edited by rocko; 08-03-2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: add
08-03-2015, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-1.avi
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-2.avi
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-3.avi
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/rockovids...o(Jul30)-4.avi

I ran the same video segment after each S-Video cable configuration, for B-4/after comparison, I found an "ATI 4 headed" input adaptor from S-Video.com which is much shorter, and replaces the original ATI Purple input Block, And the tape used is a professional/commercially produced (Pentrex) one from early 1990's.

All using Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U VCR (w/TBC) to ATI 9600xt Cap Card,(No AVToolbox for now)..all using 3 foot Blue Jeans YC-2 S-Video Cable on VCR out,connected to....

(File -1) 5 foot ATI Purple Input Block, No RFI Chokes added....then
(File -2) 9 inch ATI input adaptor (Purple ATI box eliminator),No RFI Chokes added...Then
(File -3) same as -2,bur RFI chokes added around Video and Audio cables...Then Paused VCR file
(-4), same as -3, to see if any RFI/FM outside interference with final cable set-up, without "noise" that is already inherent to the tape itself...This seems to be as good as it will get for my situation, short of pulling out the ATI card and sending it to (DFAQ?) to test for defective shielding?

Last edited by rocko; 08-03-2015 at 11:03 PM. Reason: add
08-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

Anybody's final input/opinions to my post #83 would be greatly appreciated!
08-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Remembered

do not understand your question.

Clip 2 + 3 can be played.
Clip 4 can not be played, only a still image.
The following users thank Goldwingfahrer for this useful post: rocko (08-07-2015)
08-05-2015, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
My understanding of these problem is that RF interference isn't easily traced to stuff "radiating" in the air, unless you have something like a powerful radio or video transmitter in your working area. More often it's a grounding or ground loop problem in cables and in unfiltered power supplies. One problem I had briefly a few years back was hum bars in a DVD recorder's output image, due to an unfiltered power supply wiring to its internal cooling fan. This could have fixed with a 50-cent filter capacitor on its hookup wires.

Poor cable insulation and cheap connectors are another cause, common with cheap cables and even with some big names like Belkin and Monster (brands that aren't known for being cheap to buy but often cheaply made). The problem isn't so much environmental radiation as it is a great many loops of poorly insulated cable and power lines that act as antennas. Noisy a.c. power supplies don't help. My home TVs, recorders, players, cable boxes, and computers are plugged into power supply units that have backup batteries and a.c. line cleaners. I have three of these: not exactly cheap but not as overpriced as the $200 Monster units that blew out a motherboard and a CRT tube during a lightning storm. Those Monster units were immediately ditched into the recycle bins. A fourth a.c. cleaner unit is a power surge protector that immediately cuts power if a surge occurs, and does not restore power until manually reset because another surge usually occurs after line relays restore power.

Cables themselves were another issue, solved by discarding unsuitable cables. Cheap HMDi wire from monoprice and Amazon were replaced with others, mostly from the UK, with noise suppression filters in the connectors. Digital audio is fed with wire having solderless connections (they are crimped) fed thru anti-jitter outboard DACs. Analog audio, composite and component cables use similar wire. If I told you how much hardware is wired in my living room, you'd wonder if I don't live in an a/v warehouse. Their a.c. wall connections are on separate circuits so that air conditioners, refrigerators, and whatnot aren't on the same circuits.

You can also get some AM or RF interference with cheap unshielded speakers and big subwoofer magnet assemblies. RF chokes don't always eliminate 100% of the problem, but with heavier and proper circuits they shouldn't be necessary. I don't use them. Of course every situation has its peculiar problems and requires its own solutions.

As Goldwingfahrer stated, capture #4 doesn't play. It displays as a single still image. It appears that most of the herringbone is suppressed, but not entirely. Your videos look very soft (they look out of focus) with strong DCT ringing (bright halos on high-contrast edges). The halos will be tough to clean up and can't be eliminated entirely, but likely they're on the original tapes. It's not an uncommon problem.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: rocko (08-07-2015)
08-07-2015, 04:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
As Goldwingfahrer stated, capture #4 doesn't play. It displays as a single still image. It appears that most of the herringbone is suppressed, but not entirely. Your videos look very soft
Thank You, Cap#4 is same as #3, but this time with tape paused on purpose, while capturing, making it easier to see if any live noise/herringbone still being introduced to my new cable set-up, without adding common tape noise. (Probably should have left #4 out).. But you did answer my question, just needed another set of eyes to confirm that there is still a little "noise" on #3.

Last edited by rocko; 08-07-2015 at 04:11 AM. Reason: add
08-07-2015, 04:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingfahrer View Post
do not understand your question.

Clip 2 + 3 can be played.
Clip 4 can not be played, only a still image.
Sorry, I should have not included Clip 4, it is a Live capture, but Tape is on Pause, to see if still any "noise" coming into my new S-Video cables, but ignore Clip 4..... My question is, if still any "noise"/interference visible on Clip 3?..maybe a little? (But Looks much better than Clip 1,Yes?)....Clip 1 and 2 are just to show how much interference was coming through my capture cables, before I fixed with shorter/better cables and clip-on "RFI"/Noise suppressors I put around them, and the result is clip 3.

Last edited by rocko; 08-07-2015 at 04:35 AM. Reason: add
08-07-2015, 05:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
More often it's a grounding or ground loop problem in cables and in unfiltered power supplies.
You can also get some AM or RF interference with cheap unshielded speakers and big subwoofer magnet assemblies.
Oops! I do have a 3 way bookshelf speaker sitting on top shelf of my cap PC cabinet, 6" above cap VCR, then cap PC below that, but I do make sure the receiver/speakers are off during capture, haven't tried moving it away yet just to see...And regarding unfiltered P/S, did you mean in PC's, or also in other typical home A/V equipment.....Also I have been wondering about a new P/S recently installed in the cap PC (older gateway XP) it's self. I recently powered it up, while listening to my nearby A/V receiver's AM, and the beat/noise from cap PC was startling! (hardly ever any noise like that from other (closer) PC and TV's,etc)...Is there a way to check for unfiltered/"noisy" P/S?...I am aware that locating/isolating/shielding other noise-emitting components inside a PC can be quite a challenge.

Last edited by rocko; 08-07-2015 at 05:55 AM. Reason: add
08-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
Is there a way to check for unfiltered/"noisy" P/S?...I am aware that locating/isolating/shielding other noise-emitting components inside a PC can be quite a challenge.
I'm "googling"/re-visiting this subject again, even though I've almost eliminated the problem, (with RF chokes). After re-thinking, I'm wondering if RF is coming from cap PC itself!?...Really shouldn't have to use almost 10 chokes on S-video cables!?
08-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
IF RF appears only on the capture machine, but RF chokes do a job on it, I wouldn't expect the PC power supply itself to be the source because there's no RF choke on the PC power supply.

When I mentioned "power supplies" earlier, I meant everything is plugged into a.c. power from battery-assisted a.c. cleaning power units that are in turned plugged into wall outlets with only the a/v hardware connected to that circuit, which has two big outlets in the living room. Nothing else is connected to that circuit.

I live in a crowded 1968 co-op building myself. Pretty solid joint, I can't even hear tv's anywhere around me. I can't imagine what kind of huge device is creating that RF junk in your area. Maybe you need an expert wiring tech to check things out?