Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-31-2015, 01:45 AM
Free Member

A couple of days ago I attempted to copy a video on my computer to a SVHS tape, using a Sony SLV-R7 SVHS VCR. I am running an HDMI cable from my Sony VAIO desktop's AMD HD 6450 graphics card to a video converter I recently bought on eBay, which has an HDMI input and composite, as well as S-video, outputs. From the converter I am running a composite audio cable and an S-video cable to the VCR's inputs. Although I succeeded in recording the digital video onto the SVHS tape, the images are totally distorted. To explain what exactly has happened, it is best to use the text in the credits as an example. Each letter in a word is duplicated (double letters). I hope this makes sense. In the video image, for example one of the actors, appears to be vertically split in multiple halves when moving. I wish I could think of a better way to explain what I am seeing on the screen during the playback. Does anyone know of any way to prevent this? Do I need a better converter or should I have a dual-HDMI-port graphics card so I wouldn't need to use an HDMI splitter to have one cable going to my Bravia HDTV that is being used as a monitor and another HDMI cable going to the digital-to-analog converter? Thank you in advance for any help and/or suggestions.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-31-2015, 03:31 AM
Remembered

Stream on the timeline of Edius [demo 31 days free]
Project settings set correctly.

Firewire cable from the OHCI a Pana EH65 DMR [or 595]
and behind the signal connect the DMR at AV1 to the recorder.

or
a ADVC100 or 110 to pick up a colleague.
Firewire from the PC with a cable connected to ADVCxxx and back there CVBS or S-Video and Audio to the recorder.

The correct settings for EDIUS I can then communicate.
Edius is here in German

Here I have a Canopus NX card with front connector, because the signal goes directly to a S-VHS [VHS] recorder, whether PAL or NTS from the EDIUS timeline
08-31-2015, 04:01 AM
Free Member

I've heard of firewires but have no idea how they work or how to connect them. Thank you for replying, though.
08-31-2015, 04:28 AM
Remembered

with a matching cable ... 4-pole

I can also make pictures.
Have Panasonic DMR EH595 and the ADVC110
08-31-2015, 08:19 AM
Free Member

That would be great. Thank you!
08-31-2015, 10:26 AM
Remembered

Of the devices I have to take any pictures?
I make screen if all devices connected to cable and Edius demo is installed.
So the first steps in Edius, exactly ... project settings.

It is better, but if a user can write English explained that the film or in interlaced coding for the dubbing to VHS tape.
Lordsmurf but has a lot of free time;-)
08-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Free Member

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, this is beyond my level of understanding, unless someone can explain in detail what needs to be done to resolve this issue.
08-31-2015, 11:04 PM
Free Member

It sounds like the problem is with interlacing. I can suggest another way to copy videos to tape, if you just use a program like SimpleDVD and drag the video onto it, this will write a DVD file and they you can play that from a DVD player with s-video onto tape, then you don't need the video converter. I suggest this as another way to try it that might "simply work" for you. If you need to actually capture what your mouse is doing on the screen as well, use a screen recorder program to make the video, then continue with the above steps.

To describe further what the interlacing problem is, it's an unfortunate fact of analog video that the image is broken up into odd and even horizontal lines. Due to this, when objects move horizontally in the video, you can see a type of "ghost" image made of every other line. When credit scroll vertically, you get a double image, with each image having lines.

The way to fix this to me depends on if you just want to copy a video, or if you want to copy screen action on the desktop with a mouse. If it's just a video, authoring to DVD could solve the issue for you, as it will do the "right thing" in regards to interlacing.
08-31-2015, 11:56 PM
Free Member

Thank you so much for explaining the interlacing issue. Now I have a much better understanding of the problem. It sounds like burning a DVD is the simplest way to go. I was just trying to get some use out of my supply of S/VHS tapes and also use the VCR that is connected to the computer in my study for recording on a tape and playing it back on an identical S/VHS VCR that is a part of my home theater equipment in the living room.
09-01-2015, 03:24 AM
Remembered

However, there I must completely have misunderstood.

I have understood it so....
A film file lies on the hard disk and now should be covered up on on a S. VHS tape.

In which format and in which definition is the film on the hard disk.
Since according to format and picture size must be encoded anew.
09-01-2015, 04:51 AM
Free Member

Not quite sure what you mean by definition, but the format is avi. The file says "Dcosmo3.avi."
09-01-2015, 05:06 AM
Remembered

AVI is just a container.
As a shoe box, there may be splashing around women shoes but also children's shoes.

What indicates the free MediaInfo?

...Mediainfo.....Options....Alt + P [preferences]...see Screen.

Here is an example image

09-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Free Member

I'm sorry, but I don't know where to look for this information or what I am even looking for.
09-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Free Member

Hello,
to answer his question, I assume it's just a normal movie file, with framerate 23.976fps, and a size in some ratio of 16:9 or more. I don't see how that's relevant. A DVD program should telecine and resize the file appropriately.

I can give you more information to understand the problem. The interlacing effect couldn't actually be seen on analog TV's, because each line quickly faded out shortly after it was displayed. However on modern TV's, there is no such effect, thus you see both fields (*a field is one of the set of odd or even horizontal lines) present at the same time, where you should only see one at a time.

For movies, there is a certain pattern of interlacing applied which can be undone when displayed, and therefore some TV's have a "film mode" which may remove the lines. My suggestion to use the DVD method, this method applies the proper standard which can be undone by the TV, so hopefully that will work for you.

The method you have already used, directly from the computer, probably doesn't apply the proper pattern, and I'm not sure if it's possible, so it may never work correctly.

I've now had time to check simple dvd, but I feel it will be too complicated for you, as it can't load an .avi directly (ref: http://www.videohelp.com/software/Simple-DVD-Creator). Instead I will say DVDStyler (it maybe not be the best or simplest, but it's what I can find right now). http://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDStyler

I am familiar with this program, so I can guide you for each step. Don't worry, just add the file and add a play button, it's not hard!
09-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingfahrer View Post
AVI is just a container.
As a shoe box, there may be splashing around women shoes but also children's shoes.

What indicates the free MediaInfo?

...Mediainfo.....Options....Alt + P [preferences]...see Screen.

Here is an example image
The text in MediaInfo "Text View" can be selected with the mouse, copied to the clipboard, and pasted into the forum as plain text. There is no need to go into the trouble of making screen capture images.
09-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Free Member

Also he has various movies he wants to dump to tape, each one will have different file info.
09-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
Also he has various movies he wants to dump to tape, each one will have different file info.
Why? I guess one could do worse than record digital video to tape, but offhand I can't imagine what that would be. Why can't you just burn the vides as "data" to a blank disc or copy them to a hard drive or USB drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinetex View Post
A couple of days ago I attempted to copy a video on my computer to a SVHS tape, using a Sony SLV-R7 SVHS VCR.
Well, you don't really "copy" digital video to tape. You record it. In the digital world, to "copy" is to do just that -- just like any copy of any kind of file, a copy of a digital video is a 1:1 unaltered duplicate. A recording is not an exact duplicate and is not unaltered from the original, it's a different version of it.

Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean by definition, but the format is avi. The file says "Dcosmo3.avi."
Is the video standard definition or high definition? It was remarked in a prvious post that it "doesn't matter", but it does. DVD is standard defintion. There are also standard definition versions of BluRay. Standard definition DVD and BluRay are encoded using a frame size of 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). They can be encoded to playback at a 4:3 or 16:9 image ratio. No other playback image ratios are allowed for standard definition video. DVD is encoded using the MPEG codec. DVD can't be encoded or authored to DVD disc using any other codec. BluRay can be encoded with MPEG or AVC/h264. DVD and BluRay also have audio encoding requirements. It isn't impossible to resize and re-encode an "avi" to meet DVD specifications, but you need the software to do it. The official formats and specs for SD video are easy enough to come by, but at this point you wouldn't know what they mean.

Quote:
"AVI" isn't a format. It's a container that can accept video encoded using many different codecs, such as DivX, DV, h264, QuickTime, Xvid, and others. Think of a "container" as like a shoe box. It contains a shoe, but there are all kinds of shoe colors and styles that can fit inside the box.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't know where to look for this information or what I am even looking for.
The free program MediaInfoXP lists lots of technical data from a video. It requires no installer. Get it here: http://www.videohelp.com/software/MediaInfoXP. The information will at least tell us how much work has to be done.

We don't know if your "avi" is interlaced, telecined, or what. DVD and standard definition BluRay are interlaced. Start the MediaInfoXP program and navigate to your AVI video. Open it, and notice at the top of MediaInfo's menu bar you'll see the "View" menu. Go to "Text View". Everything in the Text View report can be selected with your mouse, copied to the clipboard, and pasted here as text.
09-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
Hello,
to answer his question, I assume it's just a normal movie file, with framerate 23.976fps, and a size in some ratio of 16:9 or more. I don't see how that's relevant. A DVD program should telecine and resize the file appropriately.

I can give you more information to understand the problem. The interlacing effect couldn't actually be seen on analog TV's, because each line quickly faded out shortly after it was displayed. However on modern TV's, there is no such effect, thus you see both fields (*a field is one of the set of odd or even horizontal lines) present at the same time, where you should only see one at a time.

For movies, there is a certain pattern of interlacing applied which can be undone when displayed, and therefore some TV's have a "film mode" which may remove the lines. My suggestion to use the DVD method, this method applies the proper standard which can be undone by the TV, so hopefully that will work for you.

The method you have already used, directly from the computer, probably doesn't apply the proper pattern, and I'm not sure if it's possible, so it may never work correctly.

I've now had time to check simple dvd, but I feel it will be too complicated for you, as it can't load an .avi directly (ref: http://www.videohelp.com/software/Simple-DVD-Creator). Instead I will say DVDStyler (it maybe not be the best or simplest, but it's what I can find right now). http://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDStyler

I am familiar with this program, so I can guide you for each step. Don't worry, just add the file and add a play button, it's not hard!
I downloaded DVDStyler and will work on this project shortly. It looks like a very good program. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. For your information, I use a Sony Bravia LCD TV as a monitor for my computer and for viewing videos.

Here is the information from MediaInfo.

Quote:
General
Complete name : C:\Users\Juris Bergs\Videos\TheDisappearanceofFlight41274DVDcosmo 3.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 860 MiB
Duration : 1h 12mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 1 660 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2178/release

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : DX50
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
Bit rate : 1 527 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.207
Stream size : 792 MiB (92%)
Writing library : DivX 5.2.1 (DrDivX 106) (UTC 2004-09-08)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Mode extension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 120 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 62.0 MiB (7%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.58 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 535 ms
Writing library : LAME3.90.
Encoding settings : -m j -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 17.6 --abr 128
Language : Unknown language
09-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for he MediaInfo report!

Your DivX video can be made compatible for DVD or SD-BluRay. Right now, though, it won't fly for either. It will have to be resized and re-encoded. As this video is already lossy encoded at a low-quality bitrate and high-compression DivX, it doesn't match up in the following aspects:

-Your video is 640x480, but SD DVD/BluRay is 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 (PAL). You don't give us any locality info. It will have to be resized for your final output format, and re-encoded. You would probably want to clean up some of the original compression noise, which will look worse when it's re-encoded.

-Your video is 23.976 film speed. DVD and BluRay can only be 29.97fps NTSC or 25fps PAL, and cannot be progressive 23.976. For 29.97 fps, the video should have 3:2 pulldown (NTSC) or 2:2 pulldown (PAL) applied during encoding.

- Your audio is high-compression MPEG1 and low quality audio bitrate. It must be re-encoded for Dolby AC3 or PCM at a higher bitrate for better audio..although at this point it's unlikely it to be improved. At least try to keep it from getting worse.

Most of us know how to do all that, but no one knows what software you have at hand. I don't use the freebies, but someone who does can advise on how they're used. One of the first suggestions I could make, however, is to stop using the K_Lite codec pack. Unfortunately K_Lite does tend to screw up a few things when you try to uninstall it. So, on second thought, may as well keep it. Adding newer or more advanced codecs later might be a hassle, though. You can never tell with K_lite.

Some set top players can play DivX

Last edited by sanlyn; 09-01-2015 at 08:48 PM.
09-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Free Member

Aside from what comes with Windows 10 and the DVDStyler that was recommended and which I have downloaded, I don't have any sophisticated software. Any suggestions will be very welcome. I noticed that someone commented about why I don't just burn a DVD. Of course I can do that as long as I can overcome the resizing and re-encoding issues you mentioned. As to why I want to record to a VHS tape, let's just say that tapes can be edited with the right equipment, while generally speaking, DVDs are only good for watching. The movie we have been discussing here was meant to be only a test of my computer-to-VCR-recording capability. I have no intentions of editing it. However, in the future there may be other videos that I may wish to edit. Regarding my location, less than a year ago I relocated from the U.S. mainland to the territory of Guam. NTSC is used on Guam also. Recently I have purchased some high-end Sony equipment, some of it vintage, from Japan, such as the SLV-R7 S/VHS tape deck with built-in TBC. Speaking of vintage, I even have an EDV-9000 Beta deck in excellent working condition.