09-08-2015, 07:12 PM
Free Member

Hello

I received a datavideo tbc-1000 about 2 days ago and have been trying to capture some tapes but the audio seems to be a little off.

i have a agp aiw card
s vhs vcr jvc-7600 with tbc
datavideo tbc-1000

I was wondering what peoples timer settings are, i have tried different things but seems to be off, when i try the aiw mmc mpeg2 render live the audio is in sync but i want to filter and restore so virtualdub is what i want to use.

also in the file information is the video time and audio time supposed to match or can it be off a little and if so how much.

and what is the disk i/o need to be the default or changed

thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Start captures with the F6 key. Don't use "Start capture" and don't use F5.
Don't use denoisers or other slow-down filters during capture.
Temporarily disable antivirus, Windows Update, and disable your intenet connection if necessary. I turn off my antivirus on my slowpoke AMD 2KHz.
Don't capture to the same hard drive that has your operating system.
If "Enable multisegment capture" is turned on, turn it off.

I've always used AVisynth's default capture settings, except for input source, frame rate, video frame and compression, and audio compression (uncompressed PCM). If you're capturing to RGB, that's a CPU load and shouldn't be done anyway with VHS. I'm using the same disc i/o setting that came with my original VirtualDub in 2001, which I believe is 512K.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: kingdiamond (03-16-2016), lordsmurf (09-10-2015)
09-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Free Member

Thank you sanlyn for the help

when i first started i thought it was my computer and so i bought a capture computer

with these specs

Intel D875PBZ motherboard (the best socket 478 motherboard)
3.4 ghz intel CPU with nice cooler (the fastest socket 478 CPU)
4GB G.Skill Ram with heat spreaders
ATI AIW 9200
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
80gb Velociraptor hard drive with XP sp2 and drivers installed (OS drive)
1TB Hitachi hard drive (for storage of captured video)
Sony Optiarc DVD burner

there is no virus software its not connected to the internet and no windows update

it has a agp card and there is a port on the back for s video and audio but when i plugged in the audio part i didn't hear anything may have to try again so i connected the audio from the back of the vcr to the audio card, but i have read that the audio may match better going through the agp card its self, but again i have read so much different stuff i don't know what to trust any more.

when you said AVisynth's default capture settings did you mean virtualdub settings, i have read that you should have dropped frames on and insert frames on and others say it should be off and the sync to video or audio thing and the direct x stuff at the bottom should be checked or they shouldn't, could you or anybody post pics of the vdub settings for agp card and 600 usb i do own too.

i have been doing the f6 stuff and esc to stop i haven't been having any dropped frames or inserted frames since my tbc-1000 has been in the group.

so far the only thing that bugs me on the agp card is i can only encode no more then 704 by 480 it wont do 720 it seems when i render to mpeg the video is wider then the 600 usb 720 i don't get that as well, is there a safe way to add 8 pixels on each side to get 720 i read resize can but i don't know if i'm hurting the video quality doing that.

thanks again
09-09-2015, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Every AIW AGP I've ever used took its input from the video card Line input.

The settings I've used for years in VirtualDub capture are attached as .txt file.

Yes, I meant "VirtualDub capture", not Avisynth capture. My bad.

Attached Files
File Type: txt Capture settings.txt (8.7 KB, 124 downloads)
09-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Free Member

Ok i looked in the computer and the graphics card audio port isn't connected to the sound card.

Is that the way to go have the video and audio together on the agp card or should i send the audio from the vcr to the line in on the audio card.

would the sync be better going through the video card. There is a cd in, aux in and s\pdif is the aux in to audio out on the video card the way to go.

and if i go that way what cable do i need to buy to do this

thanks
09-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

I recall that the 9200, like almost all AIW AGPs, has a connection on the rear for its input adapter, and another rear5 connection for a cable with a splayed group of output cables. Usually the shortest of the output cables is black and for audio, and goes into an input on the sound card. Literally this is a loop back circuit, meaning the audio comes into the card thru the input adapter dongle, but the ATI card has no audio capture chip -- so the sound goes out of the card's output cable and into your audio card input. Likely the audio card input isn't the pink slot (pink or red usually indicates a microphone input). In VirtualDub capture you set up the audio source to indicate which of your audio card's input is being used.
09-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've never used F6. I'll have to try that. I like shortcuts.

I don't think I've ever had the need to adjust the default timer settings for capture.

Sanlyn gave good advice on what to disable when capturing. This is a major reason that a dedicated capture system is used by most pros and serious hobbyists, and is often not even online.

See also: How to Prevent and Fix Dropped Frames - The Digital FAQ

Contrary to what many think, Soundblaster cards can be a problem. They're not best, just best-known. This could always be the issue. I've thrown away many SB cards over the years, as I've built "new" capture systems out of spare parts.

You can only use the audio-in on the purple break-out box if the ATI card is internally wired on the aux channel. Sometimes you can do it with the loopback wire on the ATI output bundle, connected to the audio card line in externally. We've gone over this before in the forum, in past posts.

See also: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post11955

Avisynth does not capture. It's for advanced restoration and filtering.

See also: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-video.html

Certain ATI MMC versions will limit you to 704, and not allow 720. But VirtualDub should be capable of 720 without an issue.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

@thefan007, let us know if this info proves helpful. If problems persist, give us the details.

Almost all of the settings I showd in that text file are VDub defaults, unless noted. But the defaults aren't always right fcor every system or capture setup. I've never adjusted the default timing specs on any of my capture PC's.

My SoundBlasters are oldies, scavenged from ancient PC's before SB started making junkier versions. Their fancier cards are a waste of good cash.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-13-2015)
09-18-2015, 11:48 PM
Free Member

Hello and thanks again.

I wanted to experiment before posting again, but i pulled out my ati all in wonder 600 usb and used settings my friend robjv1 sent me a long time ago and everything is synced up amazing really after all these years buying equipment and trail and error.

it seems the agp card with the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS dont mix well with virtualdub, what seems to be happening is it inserts frames after an hour and then the audio out of sync from that point forward since i'm using the usb and i turn off dropped frames and insert frames the audio and video is perfect so i do need to know what's a good sound card for virtualdub and i'm using mc 8.8 and i can only get 704 and i need 720 when i render the video is wider with 704 is there another version above 8.8 that does 720.

and now that i'm in the final stage of video rendering i have procoder express and a long time ago i rendered a file at 8 megs bitrate and 9 meg max and it was 9.5 gig now that i'm looking into the bd format at about 15 meg i tried 8 meg bitrate and 13.5 max and it came out to 9.5 also does that sound right i know that if i raise the bitrate to 10 and max the same it will be bigger.

So is it just rendering 8 meg and saying 13.5 max i used bitrate viewer and it shows the peaks about 13.5 i just thought it would be bigger then the other file.

thanks
09-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Free Member

Well i went back to the agp card and uninstalled the mmc 8.8 and tried some other stuff, but one thing i fixed was now virtualdub lets me set 720 by 480 with out any problems so the first thing i wanted to fix is done.

and the part that has been driving me mad for years the audio sync

i have had the sound blaster audigy 2 zs on two computers now and i am thinking of getting the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz which the forum loves, the question is should i get the agp 9200 out cable that connects to the audio card or can i connect the vcr to the new audio card and well it sync better, or can the 9200 be internally wired.

the settings of sanlyn were almost a perfect match to mine except the bottom direct show force audio clock and it seems like it in sync but after an hour or so if i get a inserted frame then at that point of the show it seems the audio starts to get a little out of sync.

Last edited by thefan007; 09-22-2015 at 08:18 PM.
09-23-2015, 04:01 AM
Remembered

Hello
I have never tried here to play in the audio separately with the Capturen.
The Quartz taktet on the sound card never immediately like on the videomap.

Either signal to a Datavideo [out=SDI] or by Passthrough with a Pana DMR EH65 [out=HDMI]
or with the Canopus NX

Here an example picture

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-Std.Capture.jpg (92.7 KB, 18 downloads)