Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Free Member

I'm trying to use AmaRecTV to rip my VHS cassettes. The preview window plays smoothly, but when I view the recorded file, it looks as its skipping or dropping frames. My computer is more than powerful enough to handle it and I'm using an SSD. I'm using HuffyUV for the video and no compression for audio. I have the recording set at 30fps.

I've already tried VirtualDub. I get the same issue in there unless I disable the 'Drop frames' and 'Insert Null frames'. Then, the video is smooth, but the audio slows down as the video goes on in order to maintain sync. Of course, if I choose 'Do not resync between audio and video', then the video and audio record fine, but they get out of sync. I have also disabled the video preview and audio preview while recording, but the same issues.

I'm using a StarTech External USB 3.0 Capture Card USB3HDCAP with S-video and audio. I would prefer it if I didn't have to buy a TBC. People seem to have success with AmaRecTV. While it maintains sync between the audio and video, the video in the recording stutters. Is there any way to fix this issue? Would it just be possible to use a program like OBS to just capture the preview audio and video from AmaRecTV?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
"Capture", not rip. The terms matter when trying to research problems.

VHS signals are messy, and not what a capture card needs. It needs a clean signal. So the VCR needs to output a quality signal (aka S-VHS with line TBC to clean the image), and an external TBC to purify the signal of any noise.

Not having one is not an option. It's like trying to drive a car with only two wheels. You don't have all the parts.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: SixtyTen (01-07-2016)
01-07-2016, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyTen View Post
I have the recording set at 30fps.
Aside from other issues mentioned, NTSC VHS doesn't play at "30 fps". It's 29.97 fps.

Also consider using the F6 key to start a capture. If I click on "Start Capture" or use F5, I often have sync issues. Someone once posted somewhere that the F6/F5 issue was resolved and that both keys work the same way. This alleged fix hasn't improved my experience. I use F6. No problems.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-07-2016), SixtyTen (01-07-2016)
01-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
"Capture", not rip. The terms matter when trying to research problems.

VHS signals are messy, and not what a capture card needs. It needs a clean signal. So the VCR needs to output a quality signal (aka S-VHS with line TBC to clean the image), and an external TBC to purify the signal of any noise.

Not having one is not an option. It's like trying to drive a car with only two wheels. You don't have all the parts.
So, if I were to buy this TBC, then my a/v sync issues will be fixed? I just want to make sure before buying one. Also, if it helps, my VCR is the JVC HR-S3900U SVHS.
01-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Free Member

I have a USB3HDCAP. I posted about my experiences with it here.

See whether enabling "Ignore video timestamps from capture driver" in VirtualDub helps (don't disable Drops and Nulls). Failing that, try the newest StarTech driver. Failing that, force-install the newest Micomsoft driver using the "Have Disk" method.

Or take a step back and troubleshoot with a stable video source like a DVD player first.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: SixtyTen (01-08-2016)
01-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
So, if I were to buy this TBC, then my a/v sync issues will be fixed? I just want to make sure before buying one. Also, if it helps, my VCR is the JVC HR-S3900U SVHS.
Many AVT-8710 units have a chipset error. It seems random. So the honest answer is "maybe".
See: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...-8710-doa.html

The VCR is better than most VHS consumer decks, but not really an ideal S-VHS unit.
See: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: SixtyTen (01-08-2016)
01-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
I have a USB3HDCAP. I posted about my experiences with it here.

See whether enabling "Ignore video timestamps from capture driver" in VirtualDub helps (don't disable Drops and Nulls). Failing that, try the newest StarTech driver. Failing that, force-install the newest Micomsoft driver using the "Have Disk" method.

Or take a step back and troubleshoot with a stable video source like a DVD player first.
Enabling "Ignore video timestamps from capture driver" worked, thank you!

The video is a little bit shaky, so a TBC would help, but it isn't too bad and I'm satisfied with the way it is right now. It seems like this capture card handles the video from the VCR quite well on its own.

UPDATE:

It seems like I may need a TBC after all. While my newer recordings rip just fine, my older ones cut out constantly, dropping and inserting frames while flashing "no signal" occasionally. The picture quality is fine, so I'm not sure if it's just the tape or if it's the signal from the VCR. Would a TBC help in this condition?
01-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

For the purpose of this conversation, "the tape" and "the signal" is the same thing.

Just to confirm: You're only capture 29.97, correct?

Yes, TBC will help.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: SixtyTen (01-09-2016)
01-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
For the purpose of this conversation, "the tape" and "the signal" is the same thing.

Just to confirm: You're only capture 29.97, correct?

Yes, TBC will help.
Yes, I'm capturing at 29.97.

Forgot that rip != capture again!

Last edited by SixtyTen; 01-09-2016 at 11:02 AM.
01-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
my older ones cut out constantly, dropping and inserting frames while flashing "no signal" occasionally.
Yep so the same issue I showed a few posts down in the thread I linked. TBC should correct it.
01-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Free Member

Just to update, I got the AVT-8710 TBC and my old tapes seem to capture without giving me the "no signal" screen every couple of seconds. The only problem now is there is some ghosting that happens whenever the camera moves around. I'm not sure if it's just the tape, or if it's a TBC chipset error. I captured a newer tape and it was without the ghosting, so my guess is that it's the tape that's bad.
01-16-2016, 11:56 AM
Free Member

It turns out that I have a Sony Hi8 camera laying around with a TBC built in. The tapes work without the ghosting on this through the s-video input, so I'm just going to return this piece of garbage AVT-8710 TBC and convert through firewire.

Now, the only issue is that with the tape I tried, the video cuts to blue sometimes and comes back after a while. The audio plays continuously though. But, if I press pause and play it again while the blue screen is showing, then the video resumes. Eventually, it does the same thing and I have to pause/play it for the video to come back. If I repeatedly press the pause and play really fast right after each other, the tape plays continuously. Am i going to have to sit next to my VCR and press pause and play the whole way through the tape? Also, if i rewind or forward while the tape is playing, then the blue screens go away again.

Last edited by SixtyTen; 01-16-2016 at 12:24 PM.
01-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Free Member

Sorry for the triple post. I captured a cassette in DV and compared it to the one I captured with the TBC + capture card. The capture card one is much better with color and clarity. The only problem with that is I get ghosting whenever it drops a frame. It's a tough situation especially since TBCs cost so much. Do I have any other options here other than to buy a more expensive TBC?