Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-08-2024, 10:10 PM
Free Member

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding my captures. I purchased some equipment from LS about 1.5yrs ago and captured a handful of tapes but then life got busy and I am finally revisiting. The problem I'm having is that every capture looks over exposed and whites are blown out even though I am triple checking the histogram levels to ensure levels are within range. Today I decided to take the BV10 out of the equation to my surprise the levels look much better. Are there settings on the BV10 to correct this?

Attached are a couple examples. These were de-interlaced via avisynth using AssumeTFF and exported to x264 but no other adjustments.

My workflow consists of (minus TBC10 in two examples):
Sony CCD-TRV66 > BV TBC10 > Pinnacle710 > Win7 > Huffyuv YUY2 YUV 4:2:2

CCD-TRV66 has TBC, DNR, and Edit mode all enabled.

I thought about capturing completely without the TBC but I run into audio and video sync issues.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files
File Type: avi tape1_clip06_p710_bv10_DeInt.avi (3.27 MB, 17 downloads)
File Type: avi tape1_clip06_p710_NObv10_DeInt.avi (2.93 MB, 5 downloads)
File Type: avi tape1_clip02_p710_bv10_DeInt.avi (2.63 MB, 5 downloads)
File Type: avi tape1_clip02_p710_NObv10_DeInt.avi (2.14 MB, 4 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-08-2024, 11:33 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaTy View Post
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding my captures. I purchased some equipment from LS about 1.5yrs ago and captured a handful of tapes but then life got busy and I am finally revisiting. The problem I'm having is that every capture looks over exposed and whites are blown out even though I am triple checking the histogram levels to ensure levels are within range. Today I decided to take the BV10 out of the equation to my surprise the levels look much better. Are there settings on the BV10 to correct this?
I see this TBC has fully adjustable luma (brightness), color etc. Perhaps the last settings made are still engaged. I'd try adjusting down the brightness to see if that prevents the highlights from clipping.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: TacomaTy (01-10-2024)
01-09-2024, 01:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
This unit has multiple settings for adjustment, beyond even proc amp (which it also contains). The menu has multiple depth levels, noted on the LCD screen by the dots.

I generally set these up properly, but sometimes units (anything, not just this specific TBCs) get knocked back to defaults. So you'll need to check/verify the sharpness is off/SH0, and phase is SP2.

The proc amp is on the 2nd, with more settings on 3rd/4th. The comb filters can affect luma, and then you have 2x (in+out) setup/pedastal control that affect luma most. Some of these counteract one another, but not 100%, so you'll need to test combinations for your sources.

The manual only discusses notch, not comb, claiming that it is not used/needed. But that's false. So the comb filter on/off, and how it augments values, is not mentioned or discussed. Like most TBCs, this unit has "hidden features", some of which should not be hidden (like comb), and others that get you in trouble if messed with (especialy anything on the board, don't mess with pots).

When using proc amp, remember that brightness/gain alone is not enough to adjust exposure, but also lower contrast if overexposed.

This conversation is very similiar to https://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/vid...djust-key.html
... but ignore the OP posts, only read mine and BW37.

For non-owners reading this post...

The BVTBC10 is a powerful unit, but multiple versions exist, and per generation. So there's about a dozen variations out there, maybe more, with many (most?) of them being bad/wrong from EOL (spewing noise, or faulty chips like Cypress). It's the early units, like the one discussed here (vetted by me, then refurb'd), that are needed. So beware of random buying these from eBay/Facebook/wherever, as sold from recyclers, estate sellers, etc -- ie, people that sell lots of random items/junk.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf BVTBC810.pdf (1.21 MB, 3 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: alelazza (01-10-2024), TacomaTy (01-10-2024)
01-10-2024, 12:11 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the replies. After posting I read through the manual again and will try adjusting some of the settings. Hopefully this does the trick.

Lordsmurf - I checked and sharpness is off/SH0, and phase is SP2 so it looks as though nothing reset. When I get a chance I'll test a bit with a tape...only had time for a quick menu check tonight. I am curious on the "setup" setting. I found an older post of yours quoted below regarding BV TBC's. Looks like mine is set to default of 12.8. Just to confirm and double check, the "Setup" setting (Menu 2 > Setup button) should be at 7.5 for NTSC? Am I misunderstanding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
setup = IRE
NTSC = 7.5 IRE, setup = on

Don't capture the wrong IRE.
01-10-2024, 08:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
128 is the proc amp settings. Setup/IRE is on/off.

Something to note here is that all of your footage is overexposed. Sometimes exposure gets entangled with timing, and timing correction can excessively push it more or less exposed. So both darker or lighter, depending on the exact source tape exposure damage. That makes the ability to use proc amps, or adjust other values, important in those situations.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: TacomaTy (01-10-2024)