Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I have bought a EasyCap and when connecting to my Windows 10 64bit computer all worked fine with the default driver that came with the original installation cd.

But now I need it to work on my server that is running “Windows Server 2012 R2 64bit” but after multiple attempts i’m unable to put it working.

The device is always recognized as “usbtv007” and when trying to install other drivers it always says that is already has the latest driver installed.

When looking to the device managed, the hardware id of my EasyCap is:

USB\VID_1B71&PID_3002&REV_0100
USB\VID_1B71&PID_3002
---

So my question here on this forum is to ask if anyone has successfully made EasyCap to work on Windows Server 2012 R2?

Also if someone can help me resolve my problem, it would be great!

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
More importantly, why would you want to? That's a truly terrible capture card. It massively screws up the color quality and clarity of the videos. What you end up with is a smeary quality, often with overexpoused (washed out) colors, which are not even accurate colors.

Server 2012 R2 isn't really the same as Windows 10. It's not like 03/XP, 08/Vista, 08R2/7, 12/8.
In fact, isn't 12R2 more like 8.1 that 10?

Desktop devices are meant for desktops, and server devices are meant for servers. That's just how it is.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Desktop devices are meant for desktops, and server devices are meant for servers. That's just how it is.
Do you have any "server device" recommendation? I really want to make the video capture using my server instead of using my desktop.

Thanks
01-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Free Member

I run Server 2012 R2 but technically its not meant to be used as a workstation...I use mine for network printing and client backups of all my machines on my network (minus the XP machines, which are backed up separately).

As far as I know there isn't a server based capture card and though 2012 R2 is based off Windows 8, alot of the features needed for proper video capture is often not installed or disabled, not to mention that most capture devices may not have the proper drivers for the server OS.

My recommendation would be to use a separate desktop for video capture, then transfer to your server. That's what I will be doing with my setup.
01-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTechMan View Post
My recommendation would be to use a separate desktop for video capture, then transfer to your server. That's what I will be doing with my setup.
Or maybe create a VM inside Windows Server with Windows 7 or 10 installed? The thing is that i need to have my desktop free to work and i will use the server for video capture.

For the VM i can use Hyper-V or a more simple solution just like VirtualBox.

What to you think?
01-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqservices View Post
Or maybe create a VM inside Windows Server with Windows 7 or 10 installed? The thing is that i need to have my desktop free to work and i will use the server for video capture.

For the VM i can use Hyper-V or a more simple solution just like VirtualBox.

What to you think?
I am not sure, but that largely depends on your server hardware and whether (the CPU) supports hardware passthrough. You could easily setup a VM with either VB or Hyper-V (which works natively with 2012 R2) but the main key is whether the hardware itself will support USB passthrough, then there's the video drivers to work with.

You're welcome to try it to see if it works, but I can't be for certain.
01-04-2016, 06:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Most hardware fails to work in a VM, especially video hardware. And even if it did work, you'd have massive issues with dropped frames anyway, as the VM virtual hardware abstraction layer has a delay. Video can't deal with delay.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
2012, easycap, server, windows