Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Free Member

I recently acquired an used ATI wonder hd 600 usb stick and installed it without problems in my laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 bits using the drivers provided in this site ( vista 64 bits version 5.7.0831.0 - 08/31/07 from eMPIA). I also installed it (32 xp version) on a legacy XP machine also without problems.

However when I installed it in a recently desktop build ( Asus Z170-A, I7 6700k 4Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 3200 ,Asus Strix GTX 960 4Gd5, Samsung SSD ( 256GB+1TB)+ 2TB Seagate SSHD, windows 7 Professional 64 bits) it gave me some problems. The driver installed normally, apparently without problems. It appears on device manager and Virtualdub identify it and can use it.

But anytime in Virtualdub I select Video , capture pin ,capture filter it takes several seconds sometimes um minute to respond with virtualdub sometimes indicating not responding. One time it crashed and showed me the “blue screen”. Also start and stop capture are delayed don’t respond immediately.

I tried version 1.9.11, 1.10.4 and 1.10.4 64 bits versions and the problem is similar .

I´m able to capture, only these delays are bothersome and if the driver as some install problem it could eventually impact the capture results, that’s what worries me more.

I searched for alternative drivers and found on Diamond support pages a vista 64 bits driver version 22 from 08/05/2008 and in the AMD support pages a 10.4 version from 4/28/2010( with ati avivo codecs).

https://www.diamondmm.com/tvw600usb-...er-hd-600.html

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...%2064&rev=10.4

I don’t know if the best driver is still the one that I downloaded from this forum or if any of these could actually be better and also help to solve this situation.
From other side I have not yet tried to unmounted and remount the driver, it may have happened that it installed incorrectly but without notice.

I was also interested to know if in Pal environment the ATI CMC could be installed only for preview of audio + video because in Virtualdub is real difficult to adjust the proc amp for the Ati usb. Doesn´t react proportional and with my current problems ( delays ) the things are still worse.

Related to sound quality does anyone as experience if it could be best to by-pass the ati card and use the mobo line-in or sound card , or use the standard video capture audio connectors to get the best result.

Thank you so much for your comments on this points
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Free Member

I have this problem on one machine, except for the BSOD part. I had assumed it was a USB port issue rather than drivers. Hmm.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: AJAX1 (12-15-2015)
12-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the tip, you were right the problem has to do with the usb port or controller and not with the driver.

As the usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 ports in my desktop are both managed by an intel controller I changed to a usb 3.1 port that as a different controller from ASmedia. And now everything works fine no more delays or virtualdub not responding message. It seems even that the usb 2.0 implementation over the usb 3.1/3.0 is better then the conventional usb 2.0 as I get an extra throughput.
Problem Solved thank you

Related to the other points I would be interested if someone tried these options and want to share

1 -Is the vista 64 bits version 5.7.0831.0 - 08/31/07 from eMPIA that I downloaded from this forum still the better driver for this card or could the vista diamond 64 bits driver version 22 from 08/05/2008 / AMD 10.4 version from 4/28/2010( with ati avivo codecs) present any advantage

2- Can the ATI CMC be used only for preview of audio+ video ( not to record mpeg2 ) in a Pal environnemnt to ease the real time settings adjust

3-Is it useful (better quality for instance) to record audio directly from motherboard/ sound card line-in port by-passing the video capture card
The following users thank AJAX1 for this useful post: JPMedia (09-10-2018)
12-16-2015, 09:04 AM
Free Member

Go to Video -> Levels in VirtualDub and you should be able to adjust the Proc Amp in realtime without losing preview. (This doesn't work with the StarTech; I think because of the extra property page it has in its DirectShow settings).

Never heard of AMD posting a newer driver for this.

The audio question is better asked in a separate thread with an appropriate title IMO. That might catch the attention of people who are big into audio. I'm just a video guy. One downside of capturing audio separately is that the clock used will differ. Some people seem to have no problem capturing this way, but I've always had rotten luck maintaining sync. Even with a capture card + audio card combo that others say works fine.
01-03-2016, 05:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Hmmm.... Intel USB not working, Asmedia (Asrock) working. Good to know.

As far as I know, the posted Win7 drivers are the best, yes.

ATI CMC is only for NTSC. To hear audio while capturing requires that feature on the audio card. For example, "What You Hear" from SoundBlaster. You can hear audio on preview in VirtualDub, but it must be disabled for recording.

The reason that audio is piped through a video card, and then into the audio card, is due to delays. You don't want to input the audio directly and have a delay. However, the ATI 600 USB is all hardware encoding, so that audio never passed to the audio card in this case. Yes, the ATI 600 USB is not as good as an ATI AIW setup with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. But the AIW setup also requires XP, and this is a Win7 topic.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs