digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   VHS capture noise/interference? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/6940-vhs-capture-noise.html)

brontozaur 01-01-2016 01:32 PM

VHS capture noise/interference?

Hi all,

I have finally got my setup together, trying to capture some old tapes (NV-FS200->Grass Valley NX Express (pci-e)) through Edius software. All is fine except that I get some background static noise in the capture window, even at the time the vhs playback is stopped, so this is definitely not tape related.. I suppose there has to be a flawless black screen in capture mode when the playback is off, and mine is black but with random dance of grey/dark grey pixels. The capture screen goes to flawless black when I switch off the VCR. Interference is not too visible when I start playback, but still discernible, without it the video would definitely be cleaner. I use what looks to be quality monoprice s-video cable leading from VHS to NX, albeit without ferrite chokes. Tried another PSU - still the same. Added a hi-end graphics card instead of integrated video - same thing. Has anyone dealt with this problem?

lordsmurf 01-01-2016 02:10 PM

Does that Grass Valley card (1) capture the audio, or (2) simply pass it to an internal audio card?
If the latter (2), it's typical distortion from a cheap card.
If the former (1), then it may be the VCR. Test it with another.

brontozaur 01-01-2016 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 41357)
Does that Grass Valley card (1) capture the audio, or (2) simply pass it to an internal audio card?
If the latter (2), it's typical distortion from a cheap card.
If the former (1), then it may be the VCR. Test it with another.

Yes it captures audio by itself, has its own A/D converters. And the audio is clean.

lordsmurf 01-01-2016 02:33 PM

I think I misunderstand what you meant by "noise". I need to see/hear a sample.
Attach a small clip to the post.

brontozaur 01-01-2016 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Edius wouldn't capture with the VCR playback stopped, and virtualdub doesn't work with this board.. So have no idea how to capture that noise. But if it is there on a black screen, that same noise definitely goes into the picture, it is just not that visible on playback.
I've just checked the same VCR on a LCD TV. TV gives solid black when there's no playback, but I think it's because it switches off when there's no signal detected. What I noticed is how shitty the S-VIDEO connectors really are - both in VCR, in TBC, and in the effing TV - I can literally adjust the picture quality by touching the cable! I think this is a very poor design. Still can't get rid of the interference on capture screen on the PC no matter how I twist it.
I guess I'll have to work by elimination - buy more cables, ferrite beads etc.

ok here's a few secs of the captured playback. I think the slight blinking is due to interference. On dark tapes I get bluish artifacts that are more visible.

Goldwingfahrer 01-01-2016 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello
Direct capture in mpeg2 .... I never do.

Although I can not speak English, but worked for a long time with the Canopus NX.
I capture in YUY2.

Finishing with Avisynth and VirtualDub and Procoder

1.PC NX card [Pci-E]= Win 7 32 bit Edius 6:08
2.PC NX card [Pci-E]= Win 7 32 bit Edius 7:51
3.PC only the Canopus HD Storm Bay and

2 NX with PCI cards in reserve
Here are some pictures [settings Pal]

lordsmurf 01-02-2016 02:59 AM

I don't see any interference. All I see is chroma noise. How did you conclude that it had interference?

Note that I've seen odd behavior from new versions of VLC recently. The first few frames are garbled. I'm liking VLC less and less as time goes on, and have mostly moved to MPC.

When analyzing video, always do so in an editor. VirtualDub is suggested most, more than NLEs.

Honestly, your capture card sounds like the wrong tool for the task. Canopus makes NLE cards, ignoring the ADVC DV boxes. You probably need a card that works with VirtualDub, if capturing was the only thing it'd be used for (ie, no NLE effects).