01-13-2016, 06:35 AM
Free Member

Hi. I am new here. I was wondering if there is any truth to the claims that you can record amazon video to dvd by hooking up a dvd recorder to record your computer screen? There is an episode of D.C Follies and an episode of T and T starring Mr T that I cannot find via dvd. I am looking to do this for my own private use and I didn't want to waste the money buying these off Amazon video if I can't burn to dvd. Thanks for your time in reading this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Free Member

Most or all set-top devices that support Amazon's video service will add analog copy protection to prevent exactly what you're talking about.
01-13-2016, 05:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Analog out from a computer is probably not analog copy protected. Here's why:
(1) It would just add more overhead to the bandwidth of the stream
(2) Amazon probably doesn't really care about low-def analog copies

I've done this in the past for iTunes.

The biggest issue is the computer interrupting the playback. Turn off all anti-virus, system updates, email, etc. On my main system, this would be a huge PITA. On my lean capture system, which already runs almost nothing, this is no issue.

Only the Blu-ray/Roku type devices would attempt to block the signal. I'm not sure how those work, but I believe the device itself is responsible, not the stream. It's why WDTV doesn't really block anything.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Free Member

So if I turned off antivirus, email, etc. I might possibly be able to burn it to dvd via dvd recorder? If so what kind of HTM cord ( I believe this is the right name) would I need? Also would it at least be 480p quality, since if not HD quality? I apologize if I am misunderstanding anything as this is all new to me. Thanks for your replies and any subsequent replies.
01-21-2016, 08:28 PM
Free Member

Any time I've used the analog TV output of PC graphics cards, the result is sub-SD quality.
01-24-2016, 01:15 AM
Free Member

Hi . Would Sub standard be the equivalent of 240p or 360p? Or would it be below these? Thanks for the reply