digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   How should I connect audio from VCR? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/6987-how-connect-audio.html)

Luca T 01-19-2016 04:33 PM

How should I connect audio from VCR?

Hello guys,

I'm connecting VRC --->Datavideo TBC-1000 ---> ATI AIW 9800Pro/Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

I connected the video with S-video cable VCR ---> TBC1000 ---> ATI cable adaptator ---> ATI 9800pro Video IN (I thought to go directly from TBC-1000 to ATI but the ATI socket doesn't match with the S-video plug)

And what About the audio?

Should it pass through the Datavideo Tbc-1000? Or do I go directly to PC?

And to PC how should I connect it? In the ATI adaptator? And how to the Santa Cruz?

Luca T 01-20-2016 03:06 AM

I'm sorry to bother you guys probably these are stupid questions but I would like to be sure!

Do I pass audio through the Datavideo Tbc-1000?

Or Do I go directly from Vcr to Santa Cruz Line-in (with two Rca-->stereo Jack adaptator)?

msgohan 01-21-2016 08:18 PM

Passing through the TBC and ATI is probably better for sync than going direct but it will add some tiny amount of noise.

VideoTechMan 01-21-2016 09:29 PM

You can pass the audio through the TBC but its not necessary. You can just run your video cable through the TBC, then to the ATI. The audio cables can be connected directly to the ATI purple box.

This is how I have mine setup, though I am using a different TBC, the process is the same. I run my audio cables to my audio mixer (to make minor adjustments if needed and to monitor sound level) then to the purple box. And I have no audio sync issues with the video.

The ATI purple box is what the S-Video in plugs into, the breakout cable plugs into the card. With the audio you can do either an internal connection (if the card has the audio header) or the loop through external connection to the sound card's Line In.

Luca T 01-23-2016 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VideoTechMan (Post 41926)
You can pass the audio through the TBC but its not necessary. You can just run your video cable through the TBC, then to the ATI. The audio cables can be connected directly to the ATI purple box.

This is how I have mine setup, though I am using a different TBC, the process is the same. I run my audio cables to my audio mixer (to make minor adjustments if needed and to monitor sound level) then to the purple box. And I have no audio sync issues with the video.

The ATI purple box is what the S-Video in plugs into, the breakout cable plugs into the card. With the audio you can do either an internal connection (if the card has the audio header) or the loop through external connection to the sound card's Line In.

Isn't Going to the ATI and then to the sound card's line-in a useless double step?

VideoTechMan 01-23-2016 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca T (Post 41945)
Isn't Going to the ATI and then to the sound card's line-in a useless double step?

No, because the ATI card does not capture sound, it just passes it through. That's why you have the 3.5 loop plug on the ATI's breakout cable that goes into the Line-In on the soundcard which actually captures the audio. The ATI only captures the video.

Luca T 01-23-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VideoTechMan (Post 41946)
No, because the ATI card does not capture sound, it just passes it through. That's why you have the 3.5 loop plug on the ATI's breakout cable that goes into the Line-In on the soundcard which actually captures the audio. The ATI only captures the video.

Understood that's why I asked if it is an useless step, if the ATI is only a pass-through why not to go directly to the sound-card instead of passing through the ATI?!

msgohan 01-23-2016 09:29 AM

He knows that, but is asking why you prefer to loop it through like this rather than using an adapter to connect RCA directly to the sound card's Line-In.

The audio output on the ATI primarily exists because it's a TV tuner. If the loop-through is truly a direct passthrough with no delay compensation added, I can't think of any advantage using it for VCR capture. Elsewhere, lordsmurf has suggested that it does provide better sync though.

You can always test it every way and let us know, Luca T... VirtualDub has an audio waveform display to see which audio is associated with each frame.

Luca T 01-23-2016 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 41949)
He knows that, but is asking why you prefer to loop it through like this rather than using an adapter to connect RCA directly to the sound card's Line-In.

The audio output on the ATI primarily exists because it's a TV tuner. If the loop-through is truly a direct passthrough with no delay compensation added, I can't think of any advantage using it for VCR capture. Elsewhere, lordsmurf has suggested that it does provide better sync though.

You can always test it every way and let us know, Luca T... VirtualDub has an audio waveform display to see which audio is associated with each frame.

I know I can test but due to my zero knowledge of capturing I don't know exactly how to valuatate the better result :D