Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-19-2016, 04:31 PM
Free Member

Hello, I'd be grateful for any advice on the following: I've been given a VHS tape to put onto a DVD. It's of a christening from about 12 years ago, it's not a professional tape and I'm told it was just done by a friend of the family. It's from Morocco. It plays perfectly OK on a UK VCR and TV, good picture quality, etc. So far so good. I'm using a Canopus ADVC-55 into a Mac from the SCART of the VCR, never had a problem in the past - but it refuses to get any video (or audio) from this tape into the computer. Tried using a stand-alone DVD recorder - comes up with "content is copy-protected" (which I don't think it is) Tried using the RF out of the VCR into the TV and then taking the signal from the SCART of the TV - no luck. Tried 3 different VCRs, no luck. Tried a stand-alone hard-disk recorder instead of the computer- it records the signal but the picture is split in half, with a black horizontal line across the screen, the top half of the picture below the line and the bottom half above - like a frame slip on a film projector - (but a perfect picture otherwise!) I've heard that some tapes can fool the software into thinking Macrovision is present when it's not. I thought maybe it was a PAL / SECAM problem (tape is from pre-digital era) but the colour is fine. There seems to be no logic in any of this, but maybe someone can shed some light on it. Thank you.

Last edited by lesparapluies; 02-19-2016 at 04:32 PM. Reason: edit tags
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-20-2016, 05:29 AM
Remembered

Try another recorder.
The ADVC55 I have not only the 110 + 300 + 1000
When 110 you have a button for more press if "MV" is displayed [red LED]

Have already seen the message ... is MV ..though were the private recordings.

If you live in Europe, send me the tape to
www.ww-consulting.ch
02-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Free Member

Thank you for your reply. I will maybe try to get a different ADVC interface - but I get the same problem with a Pioneer DVD recorder, also an LG hard-disk recorder. Picture fine when played from the VCR to the TV, but strange problems trying to record. Thank you for your offer but I don't want to risk posting the tape from the UK to Switzerland. I am going to try to attach a small recording to show the problem
02-21-2016, 08:14 AM
Remembered

Here is nothing "published"

Direct to DVD ........... in fast scenes = color streaks

Try before DVD Recorder a TBC1000 or a TBC-E
to join.

The protected with the "wrong message" MV I know here, too.

If it is a private recording then since no Macrovision strikes.
02-25-2016, 02:02 PM
Free Member

Morocco = SECAM B, not PAL. Good luck.
03-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Assuming it is SECAM, the UK VCR is likely outputting a quasi signal for playback only. But only a TV understand it, not a capture device. You need true SECAM playback for SECAM capture. Some devices allow quasi capturing, but not many.

SCART has a lot of problems with capturing. Either s-video or composite is preferred.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs