07-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

I have version 9.1 of MMC (just got my ATI AIW 9600XT card and updated the software before I saw this site and forum).

Version 9.1 allows you to select either MPEG-2 or MPEG-2 DVD as the format for capture. Selecting MPEG-2 DVD allows you to create a video DVD with programs like Nero Vision Express without having to encode the captured TV program first.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't capture to MPEG-2 DVD if all I am doing is capturing old TV sitcoms for one time viewing at a later date? (In other words, I am not looking to edit what I capture and I'm not trying to make the world's best archival copies for eternity; I'm basically just recording stuff that comes on at inconvenient times for the kids to watch on DVD at more convenient times.)

I read most of the guides and forum postings but haven't seen any discussion of using (in MMC) the MPEG-2 DVD format as opposed to the regular MPEG-2 format.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

MPEG-2 and MPEG-2 DVD are the same in terms of encoding. Both are 100% full DVD compliant.

The MPEG-2 DVD unlocks PCM audio capture, which I don't really suggest anyway (can lead to problems). The MPEG-2 DVD also retains full resolution and inserts black filler on top of the overscan when recording cropped video. MPEG-2 would literally shorten the file by 20 pixels or so from each side. MPEG-2 DVD just covers that junk up, retains proper DVD MPEG resolution. Covering overscan results in better bitrate allocation. You should probably use the cropped feature. I made a small notation on this in my last update to the MPEG ATI guide. It's easy to miss apparently, as I've had this question a few times. This started back in ATI MMC 8.1 or so, not commonly known about.

I use MPEG-2 DVD myself for all TV recordings. I open the file in Womble MPEG-VCR when done capturing, and quickly cut out commercials and resave the file (takes about 1 minute to save new file). Then I author the DVD (10-15 min) and burn (15 more min at 4x). Real quick process.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-09-2004, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

LordSmurf,

Many thanks for your replies. Two follow up questions based on your reply above.

I know you favor Womble to cut commercials. You have guides for both Sonic DVDIt and TMPGEnc DVD Author. Ignoring program cost, which of those two would you pick for a newbie to use (who is more interested in getting it done quickly than perfectly since these DVDs are for kids to watch once or twice, not to keep forever).

I also see that you have guides for Nero and TMPGEnc for burning. Same question - of those two, which one would you select as the easiest/fastest for a newbie to use?

Thanks again for all your help.
07-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

I am not at my home computer, but I could have sworn that earlier this week when I selected MPEG-2 in MMC9.1 (or actually recorded a program using one of the default settings which was MPEG-2) that Nero Vision Express made me "encode" that before it would let me make a video DVD out from the mpeg-2 - and that the Nero VE encoding took about 30 minutes or more for a 30 minute sitcom (although I didn't realize that my daughter was logged on XP Pro [switch user] and had several programs running at the time it was doing the encoding which may have slowed the process).

However, when I later recorded a program using MPEG-2 DVD, I was able to burn to DVD in Nero without the lengthy encoding process.

Does this make sense? Did I do something I didn't need to do or have a setting wrong?
07-09-2004, 02:20 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Nero Vision is trash. It will re-encode for no reason. Dump it. Ahead is a burning company. Everything else they do is quite inferior to other software, and often quite buggy. You probably hit some.

TMPGEnc DVD Author is perfect for fast work. The menu are slightly tweakable, and it comes with templates, or you can make your own. It'll still look like a homemade DVD at the end of the day (unlike DVDit! and others), but I like for fast work. It's also a very forgiving program if your MPEG files are not perfect. I use it a lot myself.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!