07-09-2004, 01:25 AM
Premium Member

Most of the TV programs that I'm wanting to record off the ATI All-In-Wonder are old sitcoms where the first couple of seasons were black and white (instead of color) - programs like the first year or two of "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Andy Griffith Show". Should I change the ATI Videosoap settings for these programs or even use Videosoap on such programs at all, or just use the default settings? The quality using the default settings was fine, but I was wondering whether a simple setting would result in something even better.

Thanks again for all your help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-09-2004, 02:26 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

VideoSoap is just noise removal. But for B&W shows, to remove the ugly red tints or yellow tints (or whatever color), go into the ATI settings and desaturate the color all the way. Get true B&W that way.

I think the best tv shows and movies were B&W. Far before my time, but I'll take a $5 B&W movie DVD any day over the "latest and greatest" at the cinema. Always nice to meet somebody else that seems to appreciate the classics. Much of my personal recordng is B&W.

Only use VideoSoap if you have noisy video. I use 15% despeckle the most (pick any filter like "heavy", then manually change it to have 15% despeckle). If it's on tv, I doubt it needs much work. Maybe 5%-10% despeckle if you really want to.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!