Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-23-2016, 12:16 AM
Free Member

Hello, I see this website has a recommended list for VCR players but is there one for VHS-C camcorders? That's the best way to capture VHS-C tapes and I'm wondering if there's a list of the best camcorders (TBC, stereo, stability, etc.)?

Thanks you.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-23-2016, 12:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
VHS-C cameras are terrible for capturing.

The Panasonic AG-1980P S-VHS VCR + JVC CP7U 'C' adapter are what we recommend. Note that there are several metal 'C' adapter from JVC and Panasonic, but I don't always remember the models.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-23-2016, 01:50 AM
Free Member

Ah really? There's not even 1 good VHS-C comcorder recommended, even by JVC? That's a shame... They're the devices that filmed the darn things! Haha, what.

Is there something below the Panasonic AG that is worthwhile? 300+ sounds like a whole lot.
04-23-2016, 01:55 AM
Remembered

I recommend here JVC BR S522 / 622/822
needs no adapter ........ only SP [Standard Play]

For SP and LP ..... Panasonic NV V8000
also need an adapter

I have, however, only PAL S-VHS-C and VHS-C

Screen = panasonic nv V8000

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nv-v8000.jpg (55.4 KB, 16 downloads)
04-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Free Member

Rule of thumb, Play the tape with the camcorder that shot the tape, if it is not available, a good VCR is the way to go.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-24-2016)
04-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Remembered

corrigenda
Post 4

The Pana NV V8000 needs NO Adapter
The following users thank Goldwingfahrer for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-24-2016)
04-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
corrigenda
Post 4

The Pana NV V8000 needs NO Adapter
I searched it up and it looks pretty sweet, but the only thing that I was able to find was it being uploaded to YouTube by Japanese people. I also see it talked about on some Russian sites or whatever, but nothing that does me any good. I can't even find a listing for it on any website or anything. I also live in America and have American tapes, does this even work with NTSC tapes? I'd consider it if I could even find a place to buy it lol.

Quote:
Rule of thumb, Play the tape with the camcorder that shot the tape, if it is not available, a good VCR is the way to go.
Yeah, my JVC GR-SXM260U, only problem is that it's giving me this 'E03 Unit in Safeguard Mode - Remove and reattach battery' screen constantly. Nothing works until I remove the DC plug out and turn it off that way. Last time I pressed eject on a tape after doing that and it came out but some of the tape was hanging out of it and I had to carefully maneuver it out. Thankfully it wasn't damaged and I just wound it back in, but I do not want to insert anything else in there. I don't know what's wrong with it or how to fix it.

Quote:
The Panasonic AG-1980P S-VHS VCR + JVC CP7U 'C' adapter are what we recommend.
lordsmurf, say that I get the AG-1980P, would that player be good enough for capturing regular VHS tapes too? Like is it's TBC and whatnot good enough to be a standalone total package deal?

And would you recommend me forwarding my Hi8 player (I forgot what the actual term is) through the AG so I could utilize it's probably better TBC? Or would you say the Hi8 camcorder I have (Sony CCD-TRV65) on its own would be better?

edit: And I just saw this video, the AG looks way worse to me here than a JVC (right?) wouldn't I be better off just getting the JVC for VHS-C tapes too and use the adapter there..? Or can the picture problems on the AG be fixed in post to look just like how it is on the JVC? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMz_wM5UhUU

Last edited by CZbwoi; 04-24-2016 at 03:01 PM.
04-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Remembered

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/matsush..._v8000_eg.html
The following users thank Goldwingfahrer for this useful post: archivarious (02-27-2021), lordsmurf (04-24-2016)
04-24-2016, 09:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Nope. Rule of thumb is this:

1. play tape in high end player; if not working...
2. try another brand high end player; if not working...
3. try tape in original VCR or camera

Most original cameras and consumer VCRs have major issues that will eat tapes. And with the 'C' format, eating the tape is a major issue. They are fragile.

The Panasonic AG1980 (NTSC) or PAL equiv + metal JVC adapter = best safest option

The 1980 is quite good at VHS and S-VHS playback. It's different from JVC line. For non-C format, sometimes Panasonic works best, sometimes JVC works best.

You cannot use the 1980 for passthrough, no. It will not help a Video8/Hi8 workflow at all.

That Youtube clip is worthless. That Panasonic probably has bad caps. I actually have this exact error with one of our units now, and it's being prepped for repair by TGrant sometime in May.

How many tapes is it? It may be easier and cheaper to just pay one of us to do it.

04-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Free Member

Sorry if I mislead the OP, I read this so many times in the forums from well known members suggesting to use the original camcorder for best tracking, I guess I was mislead too.
04-24-2016, 10:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Sorry if I mislead the OP, I read this so many times in the forums from well known members suggesting to use the original camcorder for best tracking, I guess I was mislead too.
It varies on format. In fact, only VHS-C and S-VHS-C are the odd man out here.

So you're not wrong "in general", just for VHS-C.

For 8mm-based tapes, indeed, use the original camera. Hi8 and Video8 look best from a camera -- and the original, if available. Same for DV and Digital8 (also DV). Same for MicroMV.

The 8mm/DV issues are indeed tracking related.

You just got it mixed up. Even I'm not immune to that.

04-24-2016, 10:57 PM
Free Member

Quote:
The 1980 is quite good at VHS and S-VHS playback. It's different from JVC line. For non-C format, sometimes Panasonic works best, sometimes JVC works best.
Can't the JVC player use the JVC CP7U 'C' adapter too though? What would the overall better choice be for all those types of tapes to be played back and captured on (VHS, VHS-C, S-VHS-C), the Panasonic or say something like the JVC HR S7900U? If you had to capture all those kinds of tapes, what would your choice be?

Quote:
How many tapes is it? It may be easier and cheaper to just pay one of us to do it.
From what I can count in this box shifting through old Disney tapes too (a few big VHS tapes are a little dusty):

* 20-25 VHS tapes
* About 10 VHS-C/S-VHS-C tapes

* I also have 20+ Hi8/8mm tapes but I could do those on my own with the Hi8 camera (Sony CCD-TRV65) I bought, I just have to learn how to restore better and quicker with avisynth, stuff is hard.
04-24-2016, 11:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

The JVC likes to eat tapes.

Seriously, for 10 tapes, send them to us. You'll spend far more time, and far more headache, dealing with them. Honestly, I hate VHS-C tapes, but I can/will do them. It's an option to consider.

20-25 VHS tapes are not much either. But it you're getting a setup for Hi8/Video8, and already have TBCs, capture cards, S-VHS VCR, etc, then perhaps you could handle those. I just want to give you all the possible options for doing your project. You're not alone.

We can capture, and you can process/restore the captures. Quite a few members here do that route.

04-24-2016, 11:23 PM
Free Member

The only *good* thing I have at the moment is the Hi8 camera and the Elgato Video Capture as my USB capture device (it beat out the Hauppauge). I don't have the setup for VHS and VHS-C tapes yet...

I just don't know if I'm okay with shipping priceless memories, in a box, somewhere far away... Where are you guys anyways lol?

If you were to also restore them in the way you guys do best and know how, would that be more?

What exactly do you guys charge for just the capturing or for also the restoring? Right now I can buy the AG off eBay and have my go at it...but if this is a good deal, I might bite.
04-24-2016, 11:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

I can see your IP address. You're not that far. Contact Us about pricing, safe shipping tips, etc.

Yes, restoration is time intensive, and costs more. Sometimes a little more, sometimes substantially more. It really depends on the errors.

Remember that many AG-1980 units on eBay have caps issues, and need repair first. That adds about $350 to the eBay auction price. Getting a working AG-1980 is about $500 or more total. So it's not cheap. But it is the safest, and generally gives the best image quality for S/VHS-C tapes. JVC decks really hate those tapes. It's ironic seeing as how the camera was JVC, and VJC made the VHS formats.

04-25-2016, 12:01 AM
Free Member

I was really struggling fitting everything in that character limit and needed more space, but I sent a message.

Quote:
Remember that many AG-1980 units on eBay have caps issues
How do you spot or tell that it has cap issues?
04-25-2016, 12:05 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZbwoi View Post
I was really struggling fitting everything in that character limit and needed more space, but I sent a message.
We got tired of novels in emails.

04-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
We got tired of novels in emails.
Lol, well I specialize in novels.

How can you spot or tell that the AG has cap issues?
04-25-2016, 12:31 AM
Site Staff | Video

You see visual problems present, mostly illegal values and TBC dimming.
Meaning you need to have it already AND know what to look for.

Somebody should get back to you in the next day or so. I'm busy with projects and forum duties right now.

04-25-2016, 12:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
You see visual problems present, mostly illegal values and TBC dimming.
Meaning you need to have it already AND know what to look for.
Ah, I see. No way for you to help me out with spotting problems unless it's in front of you or I have a perfect live stream to you right?

Quote:
Somebody should get back to you in the next day or so. I'm busy with projects and forum duties right now.
Aw shucks, you're my favorite though. Not too sure I trust someone else getting back to me lol ...I want the top guy in the place working on these if I go through with it btw...