Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-19-2016, 01:15 PM
Free Member

Having a major issue getting any drivers installed for an AIW 7500 AGP card on Windows XP Pro SP2.

(Motherboard has no on-board video, and the only other card I have in the system is the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, internally connected to the 7500.)

The issue seems like it may be that the driver that comes with Windows is conflicting with any drivers I try and install.

After a clean XP install (drive completely formatted), the ATI Radeon AIW 7500 is automatically recognized by the O/S on startup.

The default Windows driver is 6.14.10.6482, 3/23/2004, and video resolution is as it should be (1920x1080).

But, I figurd it was better to install the ATI driver and software that came with the card (or one of the ones posted on this forum), instead of using the default Windows one.

Try #1: Original CD

First, I tried to install the CD that came with the card. 180-V01043-100

That fails during the installation of the Radeon Display Driver. It gives the error:

Code:
Setup failed to run installation: (0x80040707)
After that, it does seem to install the WME and MMC, but I have a feeling the WME is still the default Windows one since the date on the driver matches the date on the driver Windows default installed for the card.

Try #2: ISO CD from Post #4

Next, I tried the 181-G01116-110 ISO from Post #4 of ATI All In Wonder Hacks, Drivers, Codecs and MMC.

It only wants to try and install DirectX. However, after supposedly installing it, it just exits and wants to reboot. After reboot, running the CD again does the same thing, and I can't get past it trying to install DirectX over and over.

I tried installing DirectX 9.0c from post #2 and then running the CD, but nothing changed. The posted ISO (burned to CD) only wants to try and install DirectX. (Windows does say DirectX 9.0c is installed, though.)

Even tried a clean Windows XP install again, but still no luck with this ISO.

Try #3: 6168 Package from Post #1

Finally, I tried the 6168 package from Post #1. I did a clean XP install again (and once again, XP automatically installed its own drivers for the 7500 before I could do anything.)

The WDM seemed to install fine for the first part.

However, it fails on installation of the second part for the WME, giving an error:

Code:
INF error
Video driver not found.
and then

Code:
Setup was unable to complete the installation.
Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.
I finally decided to just install the third and fourth parts, and then MMC 8.7 (which required me to install DirectX 9.0c)

So what now?

I can't find any evidence in the forums of anyone else having all of these issues with installing the 7500. I can't seem to avoid Windows taking over with its own provided drivers.

Since everything I tried seems to have retained the original Windows drivers (even after everything in Step #3), I figured I'd try capturing with these default drivers and MMC 8.7.

I installed VirtualDub 1.9.11. It seems to recognize everything fine, and I set the Device to "ATI Rage Theater Video Capture".

I'm able to do a capture with audio. The only weird thing is the picture was pretty small. I followed the settings in the guide, but was unable to do Video->Format, as it was grayed out. I was able to do Video->Set custom format, and there I could finally set 720x480. But, I thought it was weird that Video->Format was grayed out.

The other weird thing is if I do a PC Check in MMC Configuration, it fails on "Checks capture driver". It indicates there is a problem with the WDM capture driver, which gives me worry. (It also complains that the CPU is not MMX architecture, but I don't think that's a big deal.)

BTW, I even tried all of the above with Windows XP Pro SP1, before upgrading to SP2. Everything had the same issues... except that the default Windows driver for the 7500 was an older 6.13.10.6153, 7/2/2001 instead of the one that came with SP2. However, I still couldn't get any other drivers to fully install around it.

I've tried uninstalling the default Windows driver, but it just comes back after a reboot.

Seems like it might be a similar issue to this:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ivers-ati.html

Lost a lot of hair on this one. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-19-2016, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
As far as I remember (and I have the 7500 and 9600XT now installed on two XP PC's) I had to have no graphics drivers installed except for the windows default VGA driver. Uninstall all of the ATI stuff, then reboot. You can also delete the ATI progam older if it's there -- if you want to keep it, just change the folder's name. When the system restarts and you see Windows attempt to install "new hardware" and its own drivers, cancel the install. XP will be using default VGA, which is what it reboots to and which won't display as 1920x1080. Then insert the ATI CD. If the install exe doesn't run automatically, go into File Manager and run it manually.

If you don't use MMC, you don't need to install it. Otherwise you need only the WDM capture drivers, the basic driver, and the control panel. You can also run it by copying all of the data on the CD into a folder on your hard dive (I did it that way once).

Doesn't the 7500 and later need .NET framework? I think MMC does but it's suppose to be on the CD.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: rf99 (04-19-2016)
04-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Free Member

Thanks, sanlyn! I will try when I get home.

I assume best practice has been to use these other drivers (the ones on the CD or the ones packaged individually in this forum) rather than what comes with Windows?

The Windows drivers seem to be newer than the ones on the CD that came with the card (which was produced in 2002)... but, perhaps the ones on the forum are newer than the Windows ones.

I'm mainly concerned about the Windows drivers not having the proper WDM capture drivers, as you mentioned.

And, the WDM issue that MMC's PC Check complained about is what's mainly worrying me.
04-19-2016, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

The default Windows drivers are the basic graphics display drivers and the control panel. I don't think Windows Update installs their WDM, they're not critical security updates. There should be an entry in Control Panel to uninstall them.

I don't know that the install files on the ATI CD are the same as the download version.

In the usual ATI AIW install process, ATI's WDM is installed first, followed by the remaining features. So it's dd that you get that message from MCM. I can't say, as I haven't installed MCM with any AIW since 2002, and never went higher than Catalyst 4.6.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: rf99 (04-19-2016)
04-20-2016, 05:38 AM
Free Member

Unfortunately, this didn't help as hoped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Uninstall all of the ATI stuff, then reboot. You can also delete the ATI progam older if it's there -- if you want to keep it, just change the folder's name. When the system restarts and you see Windows attempt to install "new hardware" and its own drivers, cancel the install.
XP won't let me cancel the installation. It just automatically installs its own 7500 driver without prompting.

So, I took out the AIW 7500, and used a different video card to install Windows. I then disabled the Plug and Play service, shutdown, and swapped cards. This allowed me to boot-up without XP auto-installing the driver, and put me into the default VGA mode.

Unfortunately, the results were almost the same:

Try #1: Original CD
Same "Setup failed to run installation: (0x80040707)" error when installing the Radeon Display Driver

Try #2: ISO CD from Post #4 of ATI All In Wonder Hacks, Drivers, Codecs and MMC
Same issue, would only try and install DirectX over and over

Try #3: 6168 Package from Post #1
This is the only one that changed a little bit. Instead of the "INF error Video driver not found." error, I now get:
"Setup failed to run installation: The remote procedure call failed."

Quote:
Doesn't the 7500 and later need .NET framework? I think MMC does but it's suppose to be on the CD.
I installed .NET framework 2.0, and repeated the tests. Same failed results as above.

So frustrating!!

Quote:
The default Windows drivers are the basic graphics display drivers and the control panel. I don't think Windows Update installs their WDM, they're not critical security updates. There should be an entry in Control Panel to uninstall them.
Interestingly, the default Windows driver install does install "ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio (Microsoft Corporation)" Driver version 6.14.10.6238, 3/18/2014.

I don't know why I can't install the drivers from the included CD, the downloaded CD ISO, or the 6168 package. But, part of me wonders if I'd be ok just using the included Windows drivers, since VirtualDub does seem to capture with them.
04-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf99 View Post
I don't know why I can't install the drivers from the included CD, the downloaded CD ISO, or the 6168 package. But, part of me wonders if I'd be ok just using the included Windows drivers, since VirtualDub does seem to capture with them.
That's weird. If it works with the drivers Windows installed, you're set.

I've built or reinstalled several XP PC's with the integrated video installed (not the AIW), so the new XP would open with the VGA driver. That is, there were no other graphics adapter drivers installed. Those XP's were all retail or OEM CD's with, apparently, no drivers on the install CD for the integrated graphics on those motherboards. If I wanted them I had to use the motherboard's driver disc or driver download. With the generic VGA diver working, I just installed the ATI from the CD (in the old days), but now use downloaded setups from ATI's old website.

Years back, I used XP machines from Gateway or Dell that kept trying to install ATI drivers and drove me bananas. Apparently the discs that came with those retail machines had ATI drivers, and always the wrong ones. Since then I've built my own XP's from scratch without the install discs from those PC makers and never had a problem.

After a couple of bad experiences I never again installed hardware drivers from Windows Update. If I saw new "optional" drivers for graphics, network cards, monitors, etc., I'd first go to the maker's website to check them out. Half the time the maker's description of the new driver would say something like "install only if so-and-so condition exists", or something similar. I soon learned to ignore those optional Windows updates.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: rf99 (04-20-2016)
04-20-2016, 12:43 PM
Free Member

Thanks again for your quick replies!

That's been my experience as well, which is why I found it weird that I couldn't get around the drivers that came with Windows XP. This is an OEM Motherboard (made by ASUS for HP) that has no on-board video. And, the Windows XP Pro SP1 is a retail upgrade CD.

So, at this point, it looks like I have no choice but to use the Windows XP provided drivers.

For reference, Windows installed:

Display adapters:
  • ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 7500 (Microsoft Corporation)
    Windows XP Pro SP1 originally installed 6.13.10.6153, 7/2/2001
    SP2 updated the driver to 6.14.10.6462, 3/23/2004
Sound, video and game controllers:
  • ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio (Microsoft Corporation)
  • ATI WDM Rage Theater Video (Microsoft Corporation)
  • ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec (Microsoft Corporation)
  • ATI WDM Specialized PCD Codec (Microsoft Corporation)
  • ATI WDM TV Audio (Microsoft Corporation) Crossbar (Microsoft Corporation)
  • ATI WDM TV Tuner (Microsoft Corporation)
    Windows XP Pro SP1 originally installed 6.13.10.6131, 7/2/2001 for all of these
    SP2 updated the driver to 6.14.10.6238, 3/18/2004 for all of these
MMC 8.7 Configuration->TV continues to think that the ATI Rage Theater Video Capture driver is unsupported, and PC Check complains about the WDM (Capture) driver.

BUT, MMC 8.7 was able to successfully capture video and audio to mpeg.

And, VirtualDub does capture to a huffyuv AVI.

So, maybe I'm good to go?

BTW, should I be worried that VirtualDub's Video->Format is grayed out? (I have to go to Video->Set custom format to set it to 720x480, YUY2, otherwise the resolution is too small).

I also can't yet get Premiere Elements to work with the huffyuv AVI files (it imports them as audio only), but that will will be round 2. (I've also seen some mention that Premiere Elements likes lagarith better. I'll try that.)
04-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
MMC 8.7 Configuration->TV continues to think that the ATI Rage Theater Video Capture driver is unsupported, and PC Check complains about the WDM (Capture) driver.
For virtualDub capture use the Microsoft WDM or Direct Show drivers, not Rage Theater. I forget the exact wording.

With the right driver you should be able to see custom formats, etc.

Quote:
BUT, MMC 8.7 was able to successfully capture video and audio to mpeg.
True, MMC uses different capture drivers than Virtualdub. I haven't used or even installed MMC since 2002 but I used to cap MPEG off the old analog cable feed. Later I used DVD recorders.

Quote:
I also can't yet get Premiere Elements to work with the huffyuv AVI files (it imports them as audio only), but that will will be round 2. (I've also seen some mention that Premiere Elements likes lagarith better. I'll try that.)
That's one of 1,634 reasons why I won't use Adobe. You'll need Lagarith anyway, as many Avisynth plugins work only in YV12. Huffyuv can't compress YV12. Use Lagarith for that. I cap in huffyuv for the sake of my ancient XP capture machines, but all work after that is with Lagarith.

A caution about the way Adobe NLE's handle some YUV xolor fils -- it's very flawed, as with many NLE's. Convert to YV12 with Avisynth. And be careful: Adobe filters work in RGB, so if you work stuff like color you'll get an RGB conversion that can crush darks and blow out highlights in Adobe as well as VirtualDub. Adobe doesn't work well with many interlaced colorspaces. If you need RGB or other colorspace changes, do it with Avisynth functions. http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Convert. By the way, the MPEG you captured is YV12.

Last edited by sanlyn; 04-20-2016 at 01:13 PM.
04-23-2016, 01:42 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Windows installing drives at OS install is fine.

VirtualDub uses the Rage video card, with WMD/DirectShow capturing.

I've had many ATI AIW install issues in the past 15 years, but I never post about it. I can figure it out eventually. It's almost always driver related.

VirtualDub differs per card. It's screwy at times. ATI AIW works best, however. As you've seen, one place may be blocked for a setting, but available elsewhere. Just change it where you can.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs