04-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Free Member

Hi all,
Here is my another help need.

Beside VCR, I want to ask how to capture live cable TV?
Which device can direct record ts and save it to hdd?

Work like a DVD hdd recorder
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Free Member

What kind of cable signal?
- Raw cable or set top box output?
- HD or SD?
- composite, s-video, component, or HDMI?
- which cable provider?

What is you ultimate delivery format for the material you capture?
- DVD, Blu-ray, computer media, etc.?

Some cable material is copy protected.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-25-2016)
04-10-2016, 12:45 AM
Free Member

It a setup box , which can bypass by composite, s-video, component, or HDMI?

It in digital HD
It pay cable provider + FRee air

If possible i want to rec the .ts .tp file (computer media)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
What kind of cable signal?
- Raw cable or set top box output?
- HD or SD?
- composite, s-video, component, or HDMI?
- which cable provider?

What is you ultimate delivery format for the material you capture?
- DVD, Blu-ray, computer media, etc.?

Some cable material is copy protected.
04-10-2016, 05:04 AM
Free Member

I have used the Black Magic Design Intensity Pro card to ingest both component (YUV) and HDMI digital HD output from a set top box (STB) with a Windows 7- / Intel i7-based computer using both the supplied Media Express software and Edius Pro NLE. The resulting files AVI are 1080i and huge. The drives are internal SATA 3, and I've had no problem with dropped frames, either analog or digital input. (But STB output is generally a very solid signal.) A trick is getting the correct parameters set in all software and drivers for the video you are trying to ingest.

However, copy protected content may present an issue for you, and the current Intensity Pro 4K model/drivers have had issues with analog capture levels. Also results may also depend on the specifics of your STB. Some may dumb down their DVR or analog output.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-25-2016)
04-10-2016, 06:02 AM
Free Member

is it direct recording into .ts?
or still need to connect to pc? Will be cool if there is device which no need window as i can rec anytime i want.. or anytime when i not around... (+not possible to open pc 24hour)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
I have used the Black Magic Design Intensity Pro card to ingest both component (YUV) and HDMI digital HD output from a set top box (STB) with a Windows 7- / Intel i7-based computer using both the supplied Media Express software and Edius Pro NLE. The resulting files AVI are 1080i and huge. The drives are internal SATA 3, and I've had no problem with dropped frames, either analog or digital input. (But STB output is generally a very solid signal.) A trick is getting the correct parameters set in all software and drivers for the video you are trying to ingest.

However, copy protected content may present an issue for you, and the current Intensity Pro 4K model/drivers have had issues with analog capture levels. Also results may also depend on the specifics of your STB. Some may dumb down their DVR or analog output.
04-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Free Member

Any device that would allow you to directly record encrypted cable to original broadcast TS would have to apply copy protection to the resulting files. In North America and Europe, there are "underground" ways to capture these broadcasts with the encryption removed.

Free-to-air should be easy to record to unencrypted TS with appropriate hardware.

Doom9: How to capture digital broadcasts (In the United States)

You would have to research how to do this stuff in your country. Breaking the encryption of the HDMI output is much easier, there are even all-in-one boxes that record to USB without PC, but quality suffers compared to native recording. You will need to decide whether you care about the quality that much.
04-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Free Member

With my Intensity Pro and STB it is:
HDMI cable from STB to 2-way HDMI splitter feeding the TV and the Intensity Pro.
Resulting File is an uncompressed 4:2:2 (AVI format) or compressed MJPEG 4:2:2 dependign on what I setup.
I can record from live cable, or from STB DVR playback, (subject to any in place copy protection limitations of course).