Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
You bought yourself an authoring program. Authoring. Not a generic encoder that lets you make non-compliant video formats the way Nero does. Authoring. Get t?

I'm afraid lordsmurf is losing sight of some details. "BD" is BluRay. BluRay includes a standard definition spec for MPEG encoding at 720x480 or 720x576 for regulation BluRay (that's anamorphic, if you recall, not square pixel) at either 4:5 or 16:9 DAR. For MPEG-4/MPEG SD encoding the max bitrate is 15MBPS (youi can go higher with h.264). There are other restrictions as well, to which TAW5 holds fast, along with other reputable authoring apps. [URL]https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533[/URL
Well, it encodes so what's the problem, I just want to turn off the next step (Authoring).
That link is for creating 100% compliant Blu Ray structures. I'm not worried about that anymore. I found out that I can just burn a video file to Blu Ray as storage as if it were a HDD. I already tried it and it works on a Blu Ray player. That is why I was hoping for a way to get around having to pick a preset and then having to stay within the 480 resolution, max bitrate parameters for Blu Ray.
So, with TAW5 there is no way of creating a Mpeg2 or Mpeg4 video for storing on a HDD, Blu Ray disc or for uploading to websites........great. I bought TAW5 because everyone kept telling me that I can't burn a AVI or even a Mpeg2 video to Blu Ray, that it would have to be encoded and authored for Blu Ray.

Back on 4-26-2016 you stated: (BluRay players don't use AVI -- which, as your sentence states, is not a format but a container for other encoded formats. The structure and containers of BluRay are shown here: http://www.videohelp.com/hd#filestruct. DVD doesn;t use AVi, either: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct. You won't see "AVI" or "DV" anywhere in BluRay or DVD.)
Actually, this Blu Ray player http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-1...external-media can play a AVI media container and this is an older one from 2012.

I noticed in the chart on that link that there is a column labeled (Level). What exactly are they referring to? Is that the same as the (Profile and Level) listed in TAW5's Track Settings > Video? Although they're not giving an actual number it's either MP@ML or MP@HL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
For non-compliant video you don't want any dedicated authoring app, you want a general encoder, one like Nero that enforces no standards and allows anyone to create nonplayable video at will, about which tech forums see many complaints and confusion.
Wow! You really have an issue with everything being compliant. Allowing anyone to create nonplayable video......really! If everyone stuck to Blu Ray authoring standards there would be no videos on Youtube. People can't upload .m2ts or AVCHD files to Youtube. Every once in a while (Not very often, I admit) I see some really good quality videos on Youtube so there must be some good, straight encoders out there that are better than Nero......what are they?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-13-2017, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
There's not much point in giving more technical details or debate with someone who doesn't understand what authoring and encoding are.

I have BluRay players that can play DVD, standard BluRay, generic MPEG, Xvid AVI, h.264 mp4, m2ts and .ts files from cameras and HD PVR recorders, and encoded/authored AVCHD burned to DVD discs. For authored siscs it can play DVD, Bluray, and AVCHD. To get those formats I use an authoring program. It can play all those other formats I mentioned straight from USB hard drives or USB sticks.

You need an authoring program for disc authoring. For anything else you need a general encoding app for non-authored formats. If you don't understand the authoring parameters in the tables linked, do yourself a favor and stay with an authoring app like TAW5 that enforces the format specs for you. If you'd done a little more looking you'd find that TMPGenc Video Mastering Works can make authored formats as well as the mp4's, generic MPEG's, and several other formats that don't require authoring for playback on BluRay players. Since you already own one TPMGenc product, you can get a discount on TVMW. Or get anyone else's NLE and read up on its input and output specs before buying.
03-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Whatever you do, save the raw Digital8 DV footage because that's the best quality you have, any thing you do later will loose quality, So if you have the original DV footage you can always go back to it in case you screw something up.
Exactly, but I really need to get all of it off the tapes before they degrade anymore (tapes go back to 2004 thru 2007). I have 41 tapes that I need to copy to an HDD, then hopefully encode over to mpeg2 or H.264 if I have to. I would prefer mpeg2 just because it uses less compression than the H.264.
The raw footage is not too bad, it's a little noisy, but still crisp and clear, you can see the lights twinkle in the eyes and even see eyelashes. The problem that I'm having is that no matter what I use to encode it over to another format, I'm losing all the crispness/sharpness.
I took one AVI-DV file copied from a tape and tried all 5 of the presets in TAW5. The higher bitrates seem to make a difference when it comes to playing back smoothly, but still lost all the sharpness. I had my heart set on mpeg2, but it's a waste if I'm limited to lower bitrates because of the whole Blu Ray compliant thing. I think that's ridiculous considering that most people don't even author Blu Ray discs these days. Now you can just burn a video file ( no matter the bitrate or type of file) onto a Blu Ray disc because most top end Blu Ray players can play almost anything that you throw at them. Blu Ray discs are basically just extra storage in case your HDD dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Like I mentioned in my old posts above there are ways to view DV files on modern media players, for instance an android media player running KODI will play AVI files at least my nVidia shield does.
Yeah, I don't have any problems playing DV files back on my computer and I've tried Kodi, but it doesn't have any playback features like AB Repeat, different speeds of slow motion, frame by frame advance and zoom.
I want to be able to play all my video files on my TV, but be able to use all the playback features that I enjoy. The answer would be the getting the OPPO UDP-203 https://www.crutchfield.com/S-7V3Xmq...o-UDP-203.html, but this model seems to have some bugs that still need to get worked out thru firmware updates. I think I'm going to pick up a used/like new older model UDP-103, a lot of great features packed into this play all player. It can play AVI files, but not sure if it can play the AVI-DV files, if so that would be sweet.
03-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Not really. It's a problem between disc naming and format naming. A "DVD player" isn't a "DVD player", and same for Blu-ray.

DVD-Video player is accurate, and merely uses DVD media.
BDMV/BDAV player is accurate, and merely uses Blu-ray media.

The problem comes from using them interchangably. I blame morons that made the formats. See also DV.

You can put anything on BD media. But to get it to play in BD player (as BDMV/BDAV) it must be authored. TMPGEnc Authoring Works authors. But you must first encode to MPEG or H.264 that it wants. That can be done in Avidemux (freeware), or another TMPGEnc tool ($$).
Like I mentioned to sanlyn, I've already tried just burning video files to BD without authoring and they open just fine on a Blu Ray player. I just pop in the BD disc, the player shows me a yellow folder, I click on the folder to open, and then just select which video file I would like to play. No need for separate tracks to separate different video types or resolutions or anything like that. Blu Ray players now a days are basically media players like a computer with the ability to also play Blu Ray and DVD discs. I placed a mpeg2, a H.264, and a WMV in the folder and it played them all............who knew. Of course, the one thing it would not play was my AVI-DV file. I'm hoping it was because the player was just a $79.00 Walmart special. I'm looking into getting an OPPO player that can play AVI files, whether it will play AVI-DV files might be a different story.
I'm going to try the AVIDEmux encoder and might go ahead and buy more TMPGEnc software just for encoding like you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I've considered Kodi players myself. Right now I use WDTV. The WDTV has some limitations, and DV is one. I'd want Kodi for FLV, as I have many.
Have you ever tried Zoom Player http://www.inmatrix.com/products.shtml It's somewhat intricate and takes a while to learn how to use all the different settings, I'll never figure it all out. You can actually install encoders from other software. It has playback features that I like that aren't always on other players like AB Repeat and adjustable slow motion speed.
03-13-2017, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
So you now think that every high bitrate or HD video that you burn to a BD disc is, uh, what's that techy word?....Oh, yeah....BluRay?

I give up. It's been a good chuckle, though.