digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Elgato Video Capture dropping frames? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7342-elgato-video-capture.html)

mariolover 05-05-2016 06:37 PM

Elgato Video Capture dropping frames?

I am using Elgato Video Capture to capture VHS tapes to my computer and I get dropped frames and the audio and video start to skip. My capture software worked fine at first but now it drops frames. Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

System Type: 64-Bit Operating System

Pen and Touch: No Pen and Touch input is available for this display.

My computer is brand new (I got it on April 31), and I don't even have a lot of stuff downloaded onto my computer. I don't have a lot of processes running when I capture either. I've tried disconnecting myself from the internet, shutting off my antivirus, and defragging with no luck. Some of my VHS tapes that I capture with are fairly new and are pretty good but I still get dropped frames even with newer, good quality VHS tapes. I capture my video to my C: drive, which has 910 of 931 GB of storage space available. My VCR model is a Toshiba DVR620KU VCR/DVD recorder. Any suggestions on how to fix these dropped frames?

lordsmurf, do you have any thoughts regarding my question?

lordsmurf 05-06-2016 03:40 PM

It's probably a typical lack-of-TBC issue. Do you have an external TBC?

mariolover 05-06-2016 03:56 PM

No I don't, but one of my vcrs has an internal TBC and I tried using that VCR and it didn't help. That VCR is a Mitsubishi one.

mariolover 05-06-2016 03:58 PM

Do external TBCs work better than internal ones?

lordsmurf 05-06-2016 03:58 PM

Internal TBC is only there to clean the image, not the signal. The signal causes dropped frames.

mariolover 05-06-2016 03:59 PM

What would be the best, least expensive external TBC that I could use? I don't want to waste my money.

mariolover 05-07-2016 06:04 PM

lordsmurf, I found the AV-Toolbox AVT-8710 for a affordable price on amazon, and I can't afford the Datavideo TBC-1000. Would the AV-Toolbox one be okay?

msgohan 05-10-2016 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Try this: stick a DVDRW into the DVD side of your DVR620 combo, start the Dub mode, then start the capture. This should enable the recorder's line TBC and frame sync output. It may cause flickering though, because of an issue with Funai's AGC.

Brief explanation: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post39187

Screenshot comparison attached. It looks like mud because of being captured to MPEG-2 with poor settings, but hopefully the line-straightening is obvious.

mariolover 05-12-2016 07:23 PM

I tried using the DVD recorder to record one of my TV-recorded VHS tapes and I still get some audio skipping even with the DVD recorder. Anybody have any ideas?

msgohan 05-12-2016 08:16 PM

A sample would help, so that we know what you mean by "skipping". Connect the HDMI output to a TV at the same time as you do the capture, to confirm that it isn't "skipping" there too. Maybe the VCR section simply isn't tracking the tape properly.

mariolover 05-13-2016 02:04 PM

Apparently it's the fault of the video player, when I uploaded it to youtube it didn't skip at all. There is a line on the bottom of the screen though

wolf_in_bull_city 05-14-2016 05:00 PM

I just purchased the Elgato capture device. I am capturing from a Sony DCR-TRV740. I'd previously been capturing over Firewire, but the port on the camera has gone bad. So now the first two 8mm tapes I've captured with the Elgato had randomly left out huge chunks of the tape. In both cases, a subsequent capture attempt seems to have worked as expected.

Do you all think this is due to a lack of external TBC? I never had any issues of this nature when I was able to capture over firewire. I am still reading through the threads on here for helpful info, but I may end up making a new thread to get help figuring out what kind of capturing setup I'll need. Thanks in advance. Great info on here.