Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Free Member

I recently purchased a Panasonic AG-1980P. When I plug it in there is this weird buzzing sound that continues as long as it is plugged in. VHS tapes refuse to go into it and the LCD display doesn't appear. Also the power button doesn't seem to function.

I just wanted to check here to determine if there is something I may be doing wrong or if I was sold a lemon. Below is a video of what I just described.

https://youtu.be/dexVruwisKI

Any suggestions?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
It's a lemon. But it's still worth something, whether as a pro repair job or a trade-in on a rebuilt unit. The forum recommends TGrantPhoto, and I believe they still offer a discount for digitalfaq members. I got my AG1980 repairs and a rebuilt unit, but that was before any discount was announced (shucks). For AG-1980 repair and other work: http://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/ind...epair-services. To trade-in for a rebuilt AG1980 or other unit, http://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/.

Competently repairing or rebuilding these players is no easy task, is labor intensive, and requires highly specialized parts and testing. Do not send this player to your local shop! AG1980 and similar repair requires specialized training and experience. Tom Grant at TGP is friendly and knows his business.
05-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Do NOT throw it away!

It is usually repairable. At worst, the parts of useful to other owners. TGrant may even buy it for parts, assuming you don't pay him to fix it (about $300).

- buzzing = common PSU quirk. Once you insert a tape, it goes away. It only does this when internal quit moving. It was simply a bad design common for most of the life of the unit. I've only come across one that doesn't do it. Age is a big factor, and has nothing to do with caps.
- tape not going in may be simple transport issue. It's mechanical. Lots of posts on this in past years.
- dead LCD = caps issue. And if one set of caps is dead, others probably are, too. Again, easy fix, can be rejuvenated like new.
- dead power button = again, caps.

Contact Tom: http://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/ind...talFAQ-coupons
It's worth fixing.

You can also see if he'll take yours on trade for one of the units he has in stock. I think $100 off is fair. It all depends on the problems he's seeing with your unit.

How much was this thing? It'd better be $100 or less, seeing as how it's currently fubar.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Free Member

I paid $165 plus shipping for it. I was told everything was tested and functioning properly. I'm just going to send it back to the seller for a refund. I don't have the funds right now to get it fixed by a professional.

Since I'm writing this, I'm curious; is the JVC HR-S9000U series VCRs easier, less expensive to fix? The only reason why I went with this Panasonic model over a JVC was because I read it gave better playback to EP recorded tapes.

Last edited by bluesidel; 05-22-2016 at 09:56 AM.
05-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesidel View Post
I paid $165 plus shipping for it. I was told everything was tested and functioning properly. I'm just going to send it back to the seller for a refund. I don't have the funds right now to get it fixed by a professional.
You'll need a pro repair shop for any VCR you buy today that needs fixing, whether it's a Panasonic or not.

Quote:
Since I'm writing this, I'm curious; is the JVC HR-S9000U series VCRs easier, less expensive to fix?
Not quite as a expensive, provided (a) you can find one that still works and in good condition, which won't be cheap, (b) you can find a pro shop that knows what they're doing, (c) you can find needed parts after JVC parts support ended years ago.

Quote:
The only reason why I went with this Panasonic model over a JVC was because I read it gave better playback to EP recorded tapes.
JVC never gave enthusiastic support to EP or LP. Panasonic and Panny clones are recommended for slow speed tapes, not JVC.
05-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
JVC decks usually do not need repairs, no. Most JVCs are actually on good shape used.

They do need maintenance, however. Most used ones have not had it. Alignment can be off, heads dirty, mechanics worn, etc. So you may need to lube certain parts, make adjustments, clean it properly (PROPERLY!).

JVC works well with SP and LP. It's Panasonic that does best with EP/SLP. It's just how the transport is built. This isn't to suggest that JVC does poorly with all EP/SLP tapes, just that many track better in Panasonic. EP/SLP Audio is also more stable on Panasonic -- again, due to tracking.

The JVC actually has better heads on the dynamic drum units, if you can get EP tapes to play nice.

You'll inevitably come across tapes that refuse any VCR, and require another. It's why we have stacks of VCRs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-24-2016, 07:24 AM
Free Member

Thank you for your replies.