digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Recommended capture options with LG DR-7800? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7383-recommended-capture-options.html)

odedia 05-27-2016 02:46 PM

Recommended capture options with LG DR-7800?

Hi,

I am lucky enough to own the LG DR-7622W, which is the same as the LG 7800 (different branding for different countries basically). Based on this link, it is a recommended device. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...c-chipset.html

I would like to perform the following setup:

Toshiba V-E59 VHS Player composite output --> LG 7622W component output --> Onkyo 818 Receiver with HQV Vida VHS 1900 Upscaler HDMI output --> Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Thunderbolt output --> Final Cut Pro X on iMac 5k.

Almost all tapes are PAL format.

My question is: will I get any meaningful improvement by adding a TBC to the chain (specifically an AV8710, since I am not a big so great in the used items market...)?

A possibly harder question: will it be better to go from LG DVD Recorder to a BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle component input (bypassing the receiver)? The shuttle has analog inputs while the UltraStudio Mini only has HDMI. Not sure which one of the two will give the better results and I can't have both side by side for comparison.

msgohan 05-27-2016 08:23 PM

HQV Vida VHD1900, in case others are also confused by the little typo above.

Upscaling VHS captures is not recommended. You're better off encoding it as standard def and then playing the encode back through the AVR (and future better upscalers, as technology improves).

The frame sync functionality of the DVD recorders that I use make an external TBC unnecessary. Maybe your model is similarly capable, maybe not. Do some captures and if you're not getting dropped frames or black flashes, you should be okay (the flashes are an issue specific to Blackmagic).

To compare the two workflows you proposed, simply capture the same tape portion both ways and then load them up side-by-side, interleaved, overlaid, etc.

odedia 05-28-2016 12:55 AM

Thanks.

I actually just noticed that the UltraStudio mini doesn't support interlaced input. Only the intensity shuttle supports it. I wonder if it justifies the 100$ premium.

msgohan 05-28-2016 09:01 AM

Oh, I thought you owned both capture devices. Now I understand why you said you can't compare both side-by-side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by odedia (Post 44425)
I actually just noticed that the UltraStudio mini doesn't support interlaced input.

It does. "625/25" on their page refers to standard interlaced. In fact, what they don't support is progressive SD, for reasons I will never understand.

lordsmurf 05-29-2016 08:29 PM

Just to confirm: Do not upscale VHS on capture. Bad idea.

The LG recorder doesn't have passthrough, and LSI Logic chipsets don't have passthrough (ie, the good chroma NR filters that make it well regarded), so I fail to understand this workflow.

odedia 06-18-2016 10:12 AM

hi lordsmurf,

Can you please explain what you mean with regards to passthrough? The LSI Chipset article indicates there is a benefit for using DVD recorders with this chipset to resolve chroma issues.

The UltraStudio Mini option didn't work for me by the way. Turns out - The Onkyo 818 adds HDCP even for analog sources. Stupid, I know.

I now purchased an Intensity Shuttle plus an AV Tool AVT-8710 TBC, and will skip the Receiver alltogether.

My question is: Would I still gain any benefit from adding the DVD Recorder to the chain (after the TBC)? To resolve chroma issues etc.? Again, all my knowledge on this topic is from the article on this form that I linked to at the first post.

Thanks for the help.

msgohan 06-18-2016 01:38 PM

You could remove HDCP with a $25 splitter (specific models).

Lordsmurf is indicating that this DVD recorder is only beneficial when it's used to actually record discs, not for passing the signal through.

odedia 06-18-2016 01:50 PM

A-Ha... Now I see. Thanks. So there's no point in me adding it to the chain anymore.

I know about the 25$ splitter, but I also had issues with getting audio to pass to the HDMI. And I saw some nasty jaggedness in one of the tapes that hopefully the TBC can now resolve.