digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   What internal audio cable for ATI All In Wonder? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7423-internal-audio-cable.html)

history1 06-27-2016 05:25 PM

What internal audio cable for ATI All In Wonder?

Hello. I just need someone to tell me what exact cable I need. I am getting together a video transfer setup, and I would like to connect my All In Wonder 9800 Pro card to my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz audio card by means of one of those CD audio cables. I understand that I need a 3 pin to 4 pin cable (white to black ends), but I don't know if there is a particular model or exact cable I need. I'm not too familiar with these cables. I don't want to order one and find out it doesn't work. I found this on eBay, is this what I need?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Internal-CD-...d5j0nAzJt50W3A

It's the Sound Blaster/MPC-4 4 pin i'm looking at. Thanks in advance.

lordsmurf 07-01-2016 03:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The middle wire shown (see attached) is it. You are correct. :)

There are 3 ways to hook up ATI AIW audio:
- internal AUX via 4-pin (not 3-pin) cable, uses RCA audio to purple/domino box
- external loopback on ATI AIW output bundle cable, uses RCA audio to purple/domino box
- bypass purple/domino, convert RCA to mini stereo, connect directly to audio card

^ Preference order, in most cases.

The method selected is based on the system and card. The Turtle Beach setup works best with AUX, because you can hear input with VirtualDub AVI capture WITHOUT enabling audio playback (which causes dropped frames). A few SoundBlaster have "What U Hear" that acts the same.

history1 07-01-2016 09:08 AM

That's actually the one I recently ordered. When I received it it did not fit into the All in Wonder. The connection was too big. It requires a smaller plug. The other end of it however fit into the sound card. After doing some research in these forums I thought that the bottom-right one was the one I need, but not entirely sure. It's called Sound Blaster, but I don't have a Sound Blaster card.

lordsmurf 07-02-2016 03:06 PM

I'm not really sure either.
Santa Cruz had variations in the line. It's not impossible that they differ.

history1 07-03-2016 01:42 PM

This is the best thread i've found that discusses the kind of cable, but nobody says what the name of the cable is or anything:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post29525

I guess most people only have to assume. For some reason nobody ever replies to my threads. I desperately need help.

history1 07-11-2016 02:12 PM

I ordered the cable and it works flawlessly. While going through the forums nobody said what kind of cable it was, it was just a white (3 wire) to black (3 wire) cable that was needed or such and the name of the cable was not stated. Just to clarify things, the cable needed to connect an AIW Capture card to a sound card (Like Turtle Beach Santa Cruz) is the Sound Blaster 4-pin CD-Rom Internal Audio cable. It's 3-wire 4 pin to 3-wire 4 pin. Sound Blaster just means the white plug, that's the name of it. The black end is called MPC4. MPC4 usually go into CD-Roms and the Sound Blaster end usually go into sound cards, but these cables also work by plugging an All In Wonder Capture card into a sound card. There is also an MPC2 variant, that also works. I ordered both variants just in case one or the other didn't work, both work very well. There is no difference in audio quality or anything between the two.

Master Tape 05-28-2019 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 44785)
The middle wire shown (see attached) is it. You are correct. :)

There are 3 ways to hook up ATI AIW audio:
- internal AUX via 4-pin (not 3-pin) cable, uses RCA audio to purple/domino box
- external loopback on ATI AIW output bundle cable, uses RCA audio to purple/domino box
- bypass purple/domino, convert RCA to mini stereo, connect directly to audio card

^ Preference order, in most cases.

The method selected is based on the system and card. The Turtle Beach setup works best with AUX, because you can hear input with VirtualDub AVI capture WITHOUT enabling audio playback (which causes dropped frames). A few SoundBlaster have "What U Hear" that acts the same.

I want to do similar, only i have a ATI 9600 Pro. What kind of cable do you need to connect to the Turtle Beach from the AIW card, as history1 mentions, the 4-pin cable was too big for the socket, it's a small weird shape (see attachment) situated next to the white fan socket.

Also if connecting the AIW to the Turtle Beach card, will this marry the video and audio together in the one file, thus not having to mux the audio in after capture?

Master Tape 05-28-2019 03:52 PM

Upon further research that socket is actually a header and jumper connection for the fan, so it appears there is nowhere to connect the ATI to the TB internally?

Master Tape 05-31-2019 06:12 AM

What are the advantages of the external loopback method, over just going directly into the soundcard?

servese43 03-05-2022 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought I'd add this for anyone who would like to make an internal audio cable that's a reasonable length or save on shipping from America. It's possible to make your own Soundblaster to MPC-4 cable using commonly-available Dupont and JST PH cables. Using information from this Vogons wiki page, I was able to figure out how to make my own cable with a 4-pin 2mm pitch JST PH cable (Soundblaster end) and a 4-pin Dupont-style Arduino header cable (MPC-2/4 end.)

The MPC-2/4 end has the pin layout R-O-G-L, and the Soundblaster end has O-L-G-R. Here's a picture of the cable to visually show how it's wired:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...1&d=1646523037