Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-15-2016, 01:51 AM
Free Member

First off, thank you for all the info on this forum, it is really helped kick start my VHS to Digital project.

I have researched my issue already but cannot find a concrete answer, greatly appreciate some help.

Currently, I am trying to do the following:
- VHS (Panasonic NV-HD600) to Avermedia H797 (*I know the Avermedia sucks, but I bought it before I found this site)
- VirtualDub capture with Huffyuv (Windows 10)

With that configuration, I managed to get a few VHS tapes recorded to the computer.

However, there are a bunch of tape that was recorded with a Panasonic NV-S500EN camcorder that wont work properly when using VirtualDub or any capture program. It would look like it is getting a bad signal. When I connect the VHS machine to the TV directly, the tape plays perfectly. (Photos below)

Photo (VirtualDub not working)
Photo (Working when directly hooked to TV)

My questions are the following:
1. Are the issues I am facing with the tapes that are not working because they are PAL?
2. Can this be solved with a driver update for the Avermedia or a setting change in VirtualDub? (I already tried changing Capture PIN but PAL was not an option)
3. If no to Number 2, does this mean I need a new capture card? From what I have researched, something like Hauppauge 610 USB-Live 2 would suffice?

Thanks in advance!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Assuming your capture device works with PAL, in VirtualDub you need to set the incoming video stream properties for PAL. In the top menu "Video" item's dropdown menu, select "Capture filters". There's a picture of this drop down menu about halfway down this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post45238.

The main thread covers many Virtualdub capture settings. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion327 View Post
I know the Avermedia sucks, but I bought it before I found this site
Why not get a better device? -- especially since those recommended here work with PAL and NTSC, give better results, and cost less than the one you have.
10-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Free Member

Sanlyn,

Thanks for the advice.

I did manage to get the Avermedia work with PAL after a driver update. It finally showed PAL in the capture filter.

However, as per your recommendation, I have bought the Happague USBLive 2 capture device and the quality is much better.

Thanks for all the help.