09-30-2016, 07:03 PM
Free Member

So following the good advice I've received previously here and after reading various posts and guides this is the setup I've ended up with.

Hardware:
VCR - JVC S8600
Hi8 VCR - Sony EV-C500E

TBC
Pioneer SVM-1000
(and a couple of Brighteye devices I have to use in unison)

Capture Boxes
Micomsoft XCapture-1
Kworld GM220

Software
Open Broadcast Software (OBS)
VirtualDub

The JVC ticks the right boxes, has Dynamic Drum & Digipure TBC/NR and the vcr appears to be in good order.

The Hi8 player was bought untested and for spares but appears to play okay, although it can freeze on rewind.

The Pioneer SVM is an odd choice as a time base corrector as it's a DJ mixer. It wasn't bought for the purpose and I didn't realise it had one until I tested it. It seems to work as one okay, and really I just like the fact I can route all my SD connections into it and have one output connection from which to capture.

The XCapture-1 I purchased as I liked the flexibility it offered as an external box, lots of different input types and 60 fps.

The KWorld I bought as I liked the styling and it cost next to nothing on eBay.

I've been using OBS for all my captures previously and have been happy with the results but it can't really do lossless capture.

Following advice from here I've been playing with VirtualDub and have Lagarith and Huffyuv codecs installed.

With the above out of the way, and the main reason for the post is, I can't get the XCapture box to work happily with VirtualDub.

It doesn't seem to be getting a steady signal from the box and is dropping and inserting frames. It's also messing up the audio as it's trying to keep it in sync. I know not all capture devices work with VirtualDub but I've seen online it has been used successfully with the XCapture-1.

I've tried all sorts of ways and settings to get it working stably but to no avail so if you have any ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

Ironically the KWorld appears to work fine with in VirtualDub, at least it does when audio playback is disabled. But I can't use that as a capture device on point of principle, being so much cheaper it must be inferior to the XCapture-1 right?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Free Member

Sorry I didn't get to this post earlier. If updating the drivers doesn't fix it, the solution should be to set the Timing options to "Ignore video timestamps from capture driver" (the XCapture-1 is the same device as the USB3HDCAP).
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: cerestan (10-05-2016), lordsmurf (10-05-2016)
10-05-2016, 01:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I'm not 100% on the hardware, but it seems fine. You seem to have done good reseearch on it.

msgohan seems to know the XCapture issue fix.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Free Member

Thanks guys.

I'd not come across that discussion msgohan and that setting has brought down the dropped and inserted frames to as good as zero. I'm surprised I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere but perhaps not every XCapture or USB3HDCAP owner needs to use it.

Out of interest do you own the Startech one and use the latest driver?

The latest one for the XCapture was pulled by Micomsoft as there were issues with it. I did have it installed to try it with VirtualDub but I had some strange issues with USB and drivers after the Windows Anniversary update and that driver and the Kworld one disappeared.

Last edited by cerestan; 10-05-2016 at 04:14 PM.
10-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Free Member

I do own the Startech, but haven't really used it in a long time.
10-06-2016, 04:46 AM
Free Member

Ah okay, I might give it another go and see how it behaves.

I ended up going through all of that thread as it was an interesting read.