Quantcast First time capturing, VHS-C tracking issues? - digitalFAQ Forum
10-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Free Member

Hi,

Capturing from JVC GR-SXM470 with a Datavideo TBC-1000 (has builtin TBC, http://www.umlib.com/brand/JVC/categ...model/GR-FXM37).

Not the camcorder tapes were recorded on, unknown, but I was not able to put my hands on a SVHS pro deck, or any other deck with TBC for that matter.

For my question; the first tape I'm testing/capturing, it seems, although using auto-tracking on camcorder, some parts look good, and some have tearing/jumping picture.

Using manual tracking, I am able to get a grainier, but stable picture for some of the bad parts, but since it is not for the whole tape, I am uncertain what my generic workflow should be for the rest of the tapes (>40).

What do you guys recommend ?

FYI, I am capturing with scenalyzer, would you recommend using optical scene detection, and split scenes to different files ? Or should I capture each tape as a whole ? - Would this be a mess is a master ?

(If I would capture each scene, I could probably capture using manual and auto tracking, and just chose best looking scene from each recording..)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Free Member

Tearing indicates a tension problem. The tape has shrunk and/or was recorded with a tension too different from the playback tension to be corrected. If you are a mechanical whiz, you can open up the camcorder and change the tension setting to get a better picture. If you are a mere mortal like me, you are stuck with the tracking control or trying a different playback device. I think grainy is better than jumpy/twisty, so for the best conversion, you will have to capture section-by-section and stitch them together.
10-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,224 Posts
Those JVC (S)VHS-C have awful playback. You just need a good Panasonic S-VHS player.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.