Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-13-2016, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
For the time being used what you have.

You can get S-viddeo input by connecting your composite video cable to the ES15, then use the ES15's s-video output to your capture card. The ES15 has builtin y/c comb filter to help clean up composite source.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: bever (12-14-2016)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-14-2016, 12:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Setting up a fully-working AIW system is not always an easy task. In fact, it rarely is.
Right now, I have two systems in the marketplace: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...ti-wonder.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Free Member

Sanlyn

Thanks for going to the trouble of attaching the PDF guide for the AIW X1800 series cards. I read it carefully and especially took note about verifying load of PCIE drivers and removing prior display drivers. I had already done that.
I note some differences between the card pictured in the PDF guide and my XL1800 GTO Card. My card has (2) DVI output connectors and (1) F type jack RF in receptacle and (1) DIN style ATI proprietary purple AV input adapter jack (same as I use on my ATI All in Wonder 9600 card on another machine). The one pictured has (1) DVI output receptacle and (2) F type jack RF inputs as well as uses a SCART style adapter.

Searching the internet I found this statement regarding the X1800GTO from a website called Legit reviews dated 2006.

{Instead ATI took their R520 core and did a number of modifications to the card to cut back performance and the price tag. With an MSRP of $249, the X1800 GTO is essentially a modified Radeon X1800 XL GPU with fewer pipelines and ROPs. Here, we see a slight decrease from 16 pipelines down to 12 as well as a drop in Raster Operator Units (ROPs) from 16 to 8. Other than these changes the X1800 GTO retains all the features and functionality of the full Radeon X1800 series of GPU’s}

I will try some earlier capture drivers to try to get the composite/SVideo swap and color to work right, also maybe I am using the wrong AV input adapter jack. Any guess as to which specific capture drivers/codecs I might try for ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver. I think my display drivers are not a problem would like to try using just a minimum of drivers from ATI then use Virtual Dub on this machine for capture.

I did capture now with VirtualDub with same results of black and white capture from a color tape and had to select SVideo in VD to see my composite input. Good thing to get acquainted with and practice with VirtualDub so progress me thinks. Your VirtualDub guide is outstanding!!

I bought an SVHS VCR yea its an eBay machine so It might be stupid on my part but as I did repair VCRs and TV's (including tube tv's) back around 79-83 it gives me maybe too much confidence in taking on something like this. its a JVC HR-S2901U and its supposed to work great. laughing hysterically
12-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

The DV functionality of that capture card sucks. You should be using analog s-video (or composite, if you don't have s-video on your player) from the purple dongle. You shouldn't be capturing analog to DV anyway. Properly, DV is never captured. It's copied with a DV transfer device and Firewire connection. Use Virtualdub's capture utility and capture to losslessly compressed AVI using huffyuv or Lagarith and a YUY2 colorspace setup in VirtualDub. Huffyuv is the preferred capture codec for more efficient CPU usage.

If you're connecting your ES15 to the dongle via the ES15's s-video output, then obviously your input as far as the card is concerned is s-video.

VirtualDub capture will use ATI's capture drivers if selecting the XL1800 as your capture device.

Last edited by sanlyn; 12-14-2016 at 02:47 PM.
12-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Free Member

lordsmurf

I acknowledge that this is certainly a good deal for someone who wants to get into capture.

I have certainly wasted more value in time (days worth of time) just setting up my two capture systems that I would have expended purchasing working systems such as you mention.One capture system is working, an AIW 9600 capture system in a PC with an AGP slot.

The next thing I likely will need is a TBC Let me correct that the next thing I need is to get a little smarter about capture. Your posts here at this site are a good read. I would absolutely have no qualms buying hardware from you.
12-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Premium Member

Frankly I'd prefer the 9600. Mine is a 9600XT (pretty much the same card) and an AIW 7500 AGP. I see a lot of complaints from users of the X1800 series, usually setup hassles. I saw absolutely no improvement with PCIe cards, but somehow PCIe setup became more difficult.

The initial learning curve about capture can confound many users. I had a trip around that curve myself, but it soon became so routine it was boring. Video capture is really a different world. Let us know how it's going.
12-31-2016, 06:36 PM
Free Member

Update
dana2, lordsmurf and sanlyn

I have put aside the All-In-Wonder Radeon X1800 GTO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express All-In-Wonder Radeon X1800 GTO 256MB card for now. The build was a failure. Thanks for the help though. Moving on to an 7500 AGP machine intended for direct MPEG-2 capture using the l.S guide. I will start a new thread re that card and MPEG video wizard after I get some practice. See you in the new year!