digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   I need driver for HP PVR 343433-001 (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7734-driver-hp-pvr.html)

Fred Fumanchu 01-04-2017 05:23 PM

I need driver for HP PVR 343433-001

I have this VHS to USB convertor 'box' made by HP, model # PVR 343433-001.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
Can you tell me where I can get the XP or Win7 drivers/software for this 'box'?

I also have an All-in-Wonder Radeon 7200 video card and your forum should be a real help if I have to set that up in an XP machine, though the 'box' would be much easier.

I want to put old 8 mm movies onto my computer and their quality is pretty crappy anyway, so would the AIW card produce much better results than the 'HP box'?

Thanks.

sanlyn 01-04-2017 05:59 PM

I'd advise that the AIW 7200 is miles ahead of that chap HP unit and would give you much better captures, either with MMC or Virtualdub. Have no idea where you would find HP drivers, as HP doesn't support any of its products for more than a couple of years.

The 7200 is a great classic Rage Theater capture card and is highly recommended. XP divers are here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide....html#post9469.

Fred Fumanchu 01-04-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

.The 7200 is a great classic Rage Theater capture card and is highly recommended. XP divers are here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide....html#post9469.
Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.
That link goes to Post #2, right? So I will download the eleven rar files, extract and make 2 CDs from .iso files - I presume.
I will then install Catalyst followed by MMC.

Please correct me if I have not grasped this correctly.

sanlyn 01-04-2017 06:58 PM

oops. I must have scrolled up on that poage, because the cortrect posty is #4, here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide....html#post9470. Multi-tasking -- not my thing, sorry.

You don't need MMC for VirtualDuib capture but it won't hurt to install it. For lossless capture and restoration/edits you need VirtualDub. All ATI cards require DirtectX 0.9.c, if you don't already have it. If not, get it from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=34429. To find out which version of DirectX you have, enter "dxdiag" in the "Run" command window and look for "DitrectX version:" in the text of the report window.

Fred Fumanchu 01-04-2017 08:10 PM

Hi Sanlyn,
Glad I checked with you first. I have now downloaded the revised link files and made the disc.
I went to check Direct X. It was only version4 so I went to your Microsoft link and downloaded version 9 setup.
But running it does not work. It says I have to have various OS and I have XP which is included in the list. However it just leaves the installation and nothing happens.
all I can think of is that I have XP 64 bit; would that matter?

Fred Fumanchu 01-04-2017 08:31 PM

continuing...

Sanlyn,

Update:

Don't worry about the Direct X thing. I downloaded from elsewhere and now DXDIAG shows version 9c.

I have installed AIW software from the disc I made and am about to see how well that worked.

More news when it happens!

Fred Fumanchu 01-04-2017 08:56 PM

Correction: it seems it didn't install.
I tried again by double clicking on ATISETUP.EXE in the root directory of the disc.
I got a window that gave the message: This program must be run from a Windows NT account with Administrator privileges.
I am already logged on as administrator and even verifying that by right clicking and running as administrator with my password will not get me past this message.

sanlyn 01-05-2017 05:57 AM

That's really odd. In any case, the card should be installed physically before installing the software, which I hope is what you are doing.

For some reason you might have to take ownership of the files on that disk. If Windows won't let you do this with non-rewritable material like a CD file or folder, then make a folder on your hard drive and call it "ATI", then copy all of the files from the disc into that folder. Then, change user permissions on that folder and all the files inside it: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb456988.aspx. If Windows denies access when you try to change permissions, then you have to take ownership of the files: https://www.microsoft.com/resources/....mspx?mfr=true (this article is for WinServer XP, but the dialogs are the same for XP).

Fred Fumanchu 01-05-2017 07:12 PM

Sanlyn:
I thought your suggestions sure to work, but after following them, unfortunately I am in the same position. That is I cannot continue past the message: This program must be run from a Windows NT account with Administrator privileges.
I spent half the day researching user accounts and controls to no avail.
Strangely there is no Security Tab under Properties neither is there a User Account Control in my XP Professional nor can I find any way of turning off the necessity for an Admin account.

If you or anyone has any ideas, please respond.

sanlyn 01-05-2017 09:24 PM

If you don't see a Security tab in the file Properties window, then you have simple file sharing turned on in XP.

Open Windows Explorer to any drive or folder on your PC (aka the old Win95 "File Manager")
In the Explorer top menu click "Tools"
Click "Folder Options"
Click the "View" tab.
Scroll all the way to the last item in the list in the dialog window. The last item in the list is "Use Simple File Sharing". Click the select box next to that item to turn it off.
Click "Apply"
Back out of the window and back to Windows Explorer.
You should now see a "Security" tab in the Properties windows of most drives, folders, and files.
Don't forget to turn Simple File Sharing back on after you finish.

Files written to a CD are read-only and their properties probably can't be modified. You can copy the contents of the disc to a folder on a hard drive and run the install from there. Don't forget to disable the read-only property of the copied contents.

I have no idea why you get that security message, unless you made the CD on another computer that uses something silly like Windows 8 or 10.

Fred Fumanchu 01-05-2017 10:25 PM

Thanks for hanging in with me on this.
I do have the card installed.
I have transferred the disc contents to a folder. I have removed 'Read only' from the folder and all sub folders and files.
I have followed what you said and got a Security Tab to appear (I would never have figured that out!)
On that tab, I have used your links and tried everything possible. Still the Administrator message appears.

The disc was made on a windows 7 computer, but it is good. I know this because I tried it in a second XP computer and it launches into the AIW setup with no problem (No administrator message). This second computer has XP SP3 whereas the first has SP2. (Can that make a difference?)
(Unfortunately I cannot use this second computer with the AIW video card as it does not have an AGP slot.)

Something is amiss with the XP installation, I think, but you would think that would be fixable with everything we have tried.

Thanks so much for your patience!
It does not come naturally, but I really must learn to give up!

sanlyn 01-05-2017 10:43 PM

I can't say that there is anything wrong with the disc because it does run properly in another XP machine. SP2/SP3 should not make a difference, although there are many corresponding security factors between XP-SP3 and Windows7. It's possible that the CD reader on that machine has a problem. What you can do is to try logging into your XP computer under the machine Administrator account instead of your user i.d. Note that you can access the NT Administrator account login only if you're in Windows XP Pro. If you're in Home Edition you can access that account only in Safe Mode, which won't help.

Hit "Start" and go to logoff (don't shut down, don't Swap User). This will take you back to the Welcome screen. Now hit CTL+ALT+DEL twice to access the classic NT login window. In the user name type "Administrator". If you did not assign a password to this account when you installed Windows (you probably didn't), leave the password blank. Your desktop might look different when you get there, as it likely has never been used for the admin account.

Also, this might sound odd but check the time and date settings in your XP computer. Double-click the time/date in the far right-hand corner of the taskbar.

Fred Fumanchu 01-06-2017 05:39 PM

Thanks again...
I have been logged in as Administrator all along.
I made a second administrator account to try that, but it didn't work either.
There are two CD readers on the machine, they both behave the same way.
Time and date are correctly set.
I have even allowed access to the Folder of disc contents to Everyone. That didn't work either.
There is one question though: should I be running the installation in XP or some other compatibility mode? It was originally a Windows 98 program I believe. I have tried a few combinations anyway bit no luck.

Fred Fumanchu 01-06-2017 06:33 PM

I should perhaps also add that the same 'Administrator logon needed' message occurs whether I use the OEM ATI disc, the new one made from the files on this site, or the Folder copy of the disc files.

sanlyn 01-06-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Fumanchu (Post 47076)
There is one question though: should I be running the installation in XP or some other compatibility mode? It was originally a Windows 98 program I believe. I have tried a few combinations anyway bit no luck.

A Windows 98 program wouldn't ask for an NT login. Catalyst drivers were developed for NT, Windows 2000, and XP.

Let me check first to make sure I understand what's trying to install. You are using an Ati All In Wonder 7200 card, right? There is a newer, non-CD Catalyst 6.1 version for WIn32. Did you say you're running XP-64bit?

At least 1 set of Catalyst drivers for the Radeon series should work. Give a try to a smaller, non-CD setup for the Catalyst 6.1 drivers in post #3 of the ATI drivers thread. The link to post #3 is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide....html#post9469. The download is flat files, not an ISO so you don't need to burn. Catalyst 6.1 is the 2005 or 2006 driver set for the 7200 series and is the last legacy set still listed at the AMD website at http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...eon-prer300-xp. An article on installing Catalyst for 2000/XP and later systems is at AMD here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...TIProduct.aspx.

And if none of that will run, I have a copy of Catalyst 39 that I can upload here, as well as an original OEM 7000-series CD from 2001.

Fred Fumanchu 01-06-2017 09:38 PM

yes, I am using Ati All In Wonder 7200 card. it is installed and Windows plug and play recognised it and installed VGA drivers. As I understand it, this is then to be upgraded by the ATI driver and software.

Yes, I am running XP 64 bit.

I will try your suggestions from the links you gave and let you know in a day or two how I make out.

I sure appreciate your consideration and the offer to post your Catalyst 39 and OEM 7000 CD. Let''s hope you don't have to do that.

Many, many thanks for your kind consideration.

sanlyn 01-07-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Fumanchu (Post 47033)
Hi Sanlyn,
Glad I checked with you first. I have now downloaded the revised link files and made the disc.
I went to check Direct X. It was only version4 so I went to your Microsoft link and downloaded version 9 setup.
But running it does not work. It says I have to have various OS and I have XP which is included in the list. However it just leaves the installation and nothing happens.
all I can think of is that I have XP 64 bit; would that matter?

That could be causing this strange behavior. Frankly this is the first time I've ever encountered a user who actually has an XP 64-bit OS. There are 64-bit drivers specifically for some newer All In Wonders, but not the 7000 series. But that doesn't explain why Microsoft's own DirectX download didn't function. It could also be a problem with VirtualDub capture because it might force you to use 64-bit VirtualDub, and there are very few 64-bit filters available for it.

I doubt that your HP capture device would function even if you found HP drivers. The HP device was sold with desktops and laptops, and the only drivers available were part of the support discs that came with the HP computers. It's also likely that the HP drivers worked only with the original HP hardware and won't work on 64-bit XP.

If the non-CD version of the 7000-series ATI drivers refuse to install on your system, it indicates an error condition with the 64-bit system and 32-bit kernel drivers. 64-bit drivers for 9500/9550/9600/9700/9800 and X-series All In Wonders are available for XP-64 at AMD's website, but not for earlier cards. None of the ATI drivers listed on digitalfaq are for 64-bit XP. 64-bit capture drivers are available (but work only with 64-bit Virtualdub or similar 64-bit capture software), but no 64-bit version of MMC.

Fred Fumanchu 01-09-2017 06:07 PM

Well you hit the nail on the head with your last suggestion: 64 bit was indeed the problem.
I dug out an old 160 Gb Hard Drive, installed it and put XP 32 bit on it. (I can now boot to 32 or 64 bit XP.)
And wonder of wonders, in XP 32 the installation of drivers and software worked smoothly!
In the TV section, I can see how to capture the videos through the S-video port. (Most of my tapes are SVHS.)
Although I have not tried it yet, I know this is going to be successful.
So well done!
Once again, thanks for your encouragement and suggestions; had either been missing, I would have not achieved the result I wanted.

sanlyn 01-09-2017 06:22 PM

Good show and here's to your effort and persistence.

Good heavens, first time I've encountered Xp-64. Ah, well. All of us learn something every day. If you need help with lossless caps thru VirtualDub, don't hesitate to ask. MMC and VirtualDuib both are different worlds.

Fred Fumanchu 01-09-2017 10:08 PM

Yes it's strange that was the problem as all sotrts of 32 bit programs install and run fine on 64 bit.

Thanks for the VirtualDub link - I have saved that and the huffyuv files to install when I get more time: I have to take a break from this for a while as we are installing new carpets throughout the house and there are loads of furniture to be moved.

Can the filters be applied to the files after the videos are captured, or are they applied during the capturing process ?

By the way you say...
Windows 32-bit 9x/NT/2000/XP/Vista goes under C:\Program Files\
Windows 64-bit XP/Vista/7 goes under C:\Program Files (x86)\
Isn't it the other way around?

Cheers!