Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Free Member

I am transferring VHS to digital via the Roxio. Is there any way to prevent capturing the VCRs info / status that briefly displays (i.e. tracking, VHS output 1, SP or whatever else the VCR displays) at the beginning of recordings?

I don't see anything in the VCRs setup for turning that off. I've tried 3 different VCRs and at various times they all seem to add some info that displays at the top of the video.

TIA for your help!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
What info is displayed?
Does it disappear after a few seconds?
Don't your tapes have a leader segment?
Which VCRs are you using?
01-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Free Member

For instance, if the the VCR is auto adjusting tracking it'll display "tracking" on the screen which is picked up as part of the digital transfer.

It does disappear after a few seconds but I'm transferring home videos, so sometimes where the recording starts there isn't a lead in. Also, in instances of tracking, it may occur at any time, not just at the outset. I could snip the video in editing software to exclude the display but it would be obvious there was a snip.

I have tried 2 (I know they're not top quality) VCRs:
Samsung DVD3R75, and
Toshiba W-627

I also have tried a Sony SLV-778F but the capture quality is awful (smudged tops and bottoms of the video).
01-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
You could use better VCRs, that's for sure. But you can always check tracking on a tape, rewind back to start, and turn off auto tracking by tapping the channel up or down button on the remote, on or the tracking controls.

If your player is constantly re-adjusting tracking, it's a sign that the VCR needs work. It's also a sign that tape isn't flowing smoothly from the feed reel. Fast-forward from start to finish, then fast-rewind back to the beginning. Do this without playing. Thew procedure is called "repacking" a tape. You might have to repeat this to get smoother windings in the feed reel without bumps and ridges.

One reason why upscale VCRs are recommended here is because their onscreen displays and other auto features can be turned off. Of course if you can't get one that's a major setback.
02-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
This is a reason better VCRs are suggested. Consumer VCRs often do this, and are terrible for capturing. It cannot be turned off in most cases. You also have blue screen issues to contend with, and some others. It's just a miserable experience.

The fact that the VCR has to keep tracking should tell you something. Yes, it could be the tapes at fault, but it's more often a bad VCR when we're talking about the cheap consumer machines,

Roxio is also not at all something that we'd suggest. It's a very low-end method.

All you're doing, unfortunately, is creating digital files (DVDs, whatever) that look worse then the original tape. And that's sad, because tapes can and should look better when converted to a digital format. But it's all about the tools you're using.

You're also going to have issues with timing, sync and dropped frames. You may not notice, at first, but will eventually.

You probably bought something like this at Best Buy, and are now realizing the claims made on the box were BS. That's the main reason I founded this site 15 years ago!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
convert, roxio, transfer, vcr