03-02-2017, 02:44 AM
Free Member

I'm looking to upgrade my VCR to hopefully get some better captures of my VHS tapes(clear up some tracking issues and fix occasional picture rolling). I was planning on getting a JVC SR-V101US that is said to be barely used and in good condition by an Ebay seller with 100% feedback for around $200. I know there are better models, but I'm not looking to drop $500. Is this a good price for the VCR, is the VCR good,and will it suit my needs? My current VCR is an old, crappy Emerson DVD/VCR combo, so I'm thinking I wouldn't need a top of the line model to improve upon the quality. What do you think?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-02-2017, 03:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
PM me the auction link. eBay is becoming very shady for used video gear. There are tell-tale signs of bad and good condition. Good auctions exist, but are sadly now the minority.

I've been going through my VCRs as of late. I may sell one of my JVC units. I don't need this many anymore. Some were just backups of backups, and saw little use. But it'll be a couple of weeks before I list it, for about $225. Unlike eBay sellers, I thoroughly test my hardware. I don't want to sell junk. (That's what eBay is for!)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Free Member

I read that JVCs eat VHS-C tapes. Is that all JVC models or just some? I do have a few VHS-Cs I need to convert as well.

I bit the bullet and bought an JVC HR-S9900U. I'll test some blank VHS-Cs in it before I try the ones with recordings on them.I have captures of them from my current VCR that are decent and if it comes down to it I'll sell the JVC HR-S9900U and buy a Panasonic AG-1980P for my VHS-Cs.

I would like to clean the VCR when I receive it. Would these dipped in some 90% rubbing alcohol be safe? https://www.amazon.com/Read-Right-Cl...cleaning+swabs
03-05-2017, 12:28 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodal View Post
I read that JVCs eat VHS-C tapes. Is that all JVC models or just some? I do have a few VHS-Cs I need to convert as well.
It is not the JVC models that eat VHS-C tapes or any other model for that matter, unless it has a mechanical issue, It is the cheapo VHS-C adapters that make the VCR eat them.
03-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
It is not the JVC models that eat VHS-C tapes or any other model for that matter, unless it has a mechanical issue, It is the cheapo VHS-C adapters that make the VCR eat them.
Ok, good to know. The VHS-C adapter I have isn't the JVC one that is recommended, but it does seem to be decent quality. I've seen it go on Ebay for about $50. I've played it through my current VCR plenty of times and it never ate the tape. I'll be sure to thoroughly test some blank VHS-Cs in it first.
03-06-2017, 04:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
The JVC itself does eat tapes, even with the best adapters. It's still a concern. The JVC transport is touchy, for all models. I cringe when I'm forced to use the JVC, because a Panasonic hates the 'C' tape. Even JVC's own 'C' cameras tend to suck, which is why the advice of "use the original camera" is yet another reason the advice is false.

I saw the VCR auction, and just did not have time to reply. Busy a lot lately: editing, testing. The auction did not convince me that it "worked", especially given the bulk nature of the auction. Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Free Member

I have seen people insert motorized VHS-C adapters with weak batteries and the guides don't seat properly and chew up the tape, I've repaired this damage to a lot of my friends back in the day when VHS-C camcorders were widely used. I own one of those JVC motorized adapters for over 25 years and always put fresh batteries in it whenever I need to use it, never had a problem even with JVC VCR's not even once. But I guess if you are into this for a living I'm pretty sure you know what model have a higher failure.