03-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Free Member

I am digitizing some VHS tapes but having some problems getting started.

My setup:
JVC SR-S365U
to
Hauppauge usb live2 (Audio is RCA) (Video is over S-Video)
to
Computer (Windows 10, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750)

My trouble is that when I am in Virtualdub capture mode and I select Device --> Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture (DirectShow) I cannot see any video, only a black screen. I am able to hear audio though while capturing.

If I select Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32) (VFW) I do get both audio and video.

Is there a quality difference in using VFW over DirectShow? I have only seen people suggest DirectShow so that is why I am trying to figure out how to make it work.

I am using VirtualDub version 1.9.11 (lordsmurfs version). I have tried the most recent version 1.10.4 but when switching between capture devices the program hangs and I have to kill the process through task manager or have even had to restart my computer to get it to close.

Thank you for any help and also thank you for the help some of you have giving me the last few weeks while I have been researching (my vcr selection I found on lordsmurfs list).
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Is there a quality difference in using VFW over DirectShow?
As long as you can still access the Proc Amp through VFW, you're good to go. But VDub's Video -> Levels hook to the driver will likely be greyed out.
03-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
But VDub's Video -> Levels hook to the driver will likely be greyed out.
Thank you for your response. Selecting video levels created a pop-up window that says:
"No video level controls are available with this capture driver."

In reference to the Proc Amp, are you referring to using GraphStudioNext? If so I have no prior experience with the program. I did install it and tried to follow someones directions. I was able to see the USB Live2 as an option and was able to select it (see attached screenshot). I then tried to click the play button and an error window popped up, also in the same screenshot. Is this even remotely what you are referring to?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GraphStudioNext screenshot.jpg (52.8 KB, 21 downloads)
03-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Free Member

Not really what I was referring to, though that is one way to access it.

It's under Video -> Capture Filter, at least for DirectShow.
03-21-2017, 01:22 AM
Free Member

So I just looked and with VFW selected I can not even select the Video -> Capture Filter option. When I select DirectShow, I can select the Capture Filter option but half of the options are grayed out (attaching screenshot).

I'm assuming that the Capture Filter options are important or else you wouldn't have mentioned them. Would it be worth my time to figure out why directshow does not work? I'm thinking that without the option, everything I do from this point forward will be harder or the quality will not be as good. What is frustrating is I've spent hours trying to find an answer but it doesn't seem anyone else with the Hauppauge usb live2 has had my experience.

Thank you for any other input.

Attached Images
File Type: png Proc Amp - DirectShow.png (12.2 KB, 24 downloads)
03-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Free Member

Just use Graphedit / GraphStudio / GraphStudioNext (preferably 32-bit) and don't click on the Play button. That should allow you to access the Proc Amp via DirectShow regardless of what VDub is doing.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...mp#post2136979

Tags
black, capture, directshow, hauppauge, virtualdub